2024 World Endurance ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter ScottPuss20
  • 1,005 comments
So Toyota continues to show they cant win this race when they have competition. :crazy:

Maybe next year.:lol:

either way congrats to Ferrari.👍
This race left me with a weird feeling, it felt so random.

Of course you have to make it to the last hour, but everything was decided there and not so much the 23 hours before.

I watched it for a total of 5 hours, was really fun and especially from the cockpit view.
Is the real Le mans track more undulated than the one in GT7?
I got that impression but might have been the camera angle, or maybe my bad eyes :)

So Toyota continues to show they cant win this race when they have competition. :crazy:
This is such a toilet-tier take after a brilliant race that everyone can be proud of that you can only have typed it from the can having watched none of it.

Toyota #7 started last in class (and was hit in the warm-up), ran pretty faultlessly throughout aside from a slow puncture to finish second - only 14s behind the winning car - with the fastest lap of the race, and a last-minute substitute driver after Mike Conway was injured in a cycling accident. Toyota #8 led the race throughout the night and was punted out of second by the #51 Ferrari (which also hit the #7 later on):

Yeah, they didn't win. Acting like it's because they can't win when there's competition in the category is... out there.

There's a good case for the #7 to be car of the day, although I love the fact Isotta showed up with a road car (sort of, but at least the only such car in the class) and ran all 24hr to finish 14th overall. Makes you wonder what ByKolles were even doing all these years.

Toyota #7 started last in class (and was hit in the warm-up), ran pretty faultlessly throughout aside from a slow puncture to finish second - only 14s behind the winning car - with the fastest lap of the race, and a last-minute substitute driver after Mike Conway was injured in a cycling accident.
They truly had every reason NOT to even be in a position to finish where they did and yet they managed to do so. It takes outright ignorance to just casually scoff at the amount of adversity thrown at the #7 this past week.
There's a good case for the #7 to be car of the day, although I love the fact Isotta showed up with a road car (sort of, but at least the only such car in the class) and ran all 24hr to finish 14th overall. Makes you wonder what ByKolles were even doing all these years.
As far as I can tell, Making the world's fastest BBQ grills.

Last edited:
The hypercars made great and entertaing racing!
The coverage of the lmp2 and lmgt3 was underwhelming on the wec stream; I think these classes deserved more coverage besides their incidents.

A little bit disappointed that the peugeots didn't finish on the podium, maybe the cars will be more competitive in next few races.
Great performance by the iron dames, getting back to p5 after being "Jaminetd" off the track. One day the will win the big one :D

Positively surprised by the performance of the mustangs and the alpines. I expected none of the mustangs to finish...

There's a good case for the #7 to be car of the day
Definitely, and Kobayashi's stint was spectacular.

Toyota remain the team to beat, and but for a determined and perfectly executed final stint by Nielsen (and, let's be honest, a slice of luck strategically that they managed to make the last 51 minutes on one tank of fuel), they could have won - or even had a 1-2 had they not had their own slices of bad luck.

I'm happy that Toyota now have serious competition, and lots of it - and yet, they are still formidably good, and a benchmark that even the greatest manufacturers in motorsport are struggling to even match, let alone beat.

The quality of the competition in WEC this year is a joy to watch, and it bodes extremely well for next year - and my second trip to LM is definitely on the cards.

IMG_5862.jpeg

Just a lil tidbit. Martin Haven was wondering why Akkodis ASP Team ran the numbers 78 and 87. So, I asked Akkodis ASP Team. They replied to me:
"87" has been chosen in reference to the French department "Haute Vienne" where a historic partner of the team is established. The 78 is the mirror effect of the 87. Thank you for your support!
Good stuff.

This is such a toilet-tier take after a brilliant race that everyone can be proud of that you can only have typed it from the can having watched none of it.

Toyota #7 started last in class (and was hit in the warm-up), ran pretty faultlessly throughout aside from a slow puncture to finish second - only 14s behind the winning car - with the fastest lap of the race, and a last-minute substitute driver after Mike Conway was injured in a cycling accident. Toyota #8 led the race throughout the night and was punted out of second by the #51 Ferrari (which also hit the #7 later on):

Yeah, they didn't win. Acting like it's because they can't win when there's competition in the category is... out there.

I thought it was a Sarcasm post he made o_0

RED CARS WIN LE MANS! It's quite prophetic seeing Ferrari win at the track where they made their name all those years ago. I would love it if both winners from the last 2 years come down to Melbourne for a week.
And congratulations to tiny little Isotta Fraschini for finishing the race.
Seeing a little team with a small amount of resources beat the likes of Alpine is hilarious.

Last edited:
This race left me with a weird feeling, it felt so random.

Of course you have to make it to the last hour, but everything was decided there and not so much the 23 hours before.
Yeah, that's how I felt too. Cars could do quite badly but if they stayed on the lead lap they just got brought back as soon as the safety car came in, and it just became clear that it was going to all be pointless fluctuations until the final 2 hours.

I enjoyed last year's race more than this year, so I think I came in with too high expectations. But I find this year left a slightly bitter taste, though I guess bias comes in there as I was hoping for a Toyota win and for Peugeot to make the top 10. Toyota did so well but ultimately luck was stacked against them (I don't think I'm being biased in saying that the #51 should have gotten a bigger penalty for the incident with car #8), and the Peugeots were just nowhere (but at least they didn't wind up in the garage this year).

That was marvelous. I was hoping for a sneaky Cadillac win when they got themselves to the front near the end but I was convinced Toyota were going to win from about hour 8, both cars were so consistent in all conditions and looked mighty impressive, I think they can consider themselves unlucky. #8 had a pretty faultless race until the contact (which also wasn't their fault ofc).

Ferrari looked quick all race but I didn't really trust them to bring it home, clearly this a different beast to the F1 team. :D

Never felt like Porsche were truly in contention, just didn't look to have the pace.

I know most people are excited for the hypercars but I wish there was a bit more coverage for the LMGT3. I feel like they were mostly featured for the traffic that they caused for the hypercars.
Same. I guess the top tier has been either a forgone conclusion or only lightly subscribed in recent years so now that there's more than a full F1 grids worth of hypercars, 14 of which could quite easily have won, with the rest not being embarrasingly off the pace either, that it was too easy to fixate on that part of the race. I know LMP2 is a spec series, so its a little harder to get excited about it, but the GT3 class has been every bit as varied with is entry as the hypercars, again with no obvious pre-race favourites, but there was very little coverage of it, i felt.

I had a quiet weekend for a change so managed to watch a great deal of the Eurosport coverage. There was only a 8 hour period, whilst i slept, when i didn't have it on TV. Best race there's been in ages, across all the classes. Feels like we are in another gold age for Le Mans right now.

First time I could watch the race without paying extra and/or using VPN thanks to AT&T (I have Max through my cell plan). Unfortunately I had to help a friend move and then I had to sleep, so only caught a few things but here's my unsolicited take:

Hypercar:
  • congrats to Ferrari
  • #7 made a great race, I think Lopez was driving great at the end - in 2023 it was a mistake not to have Buemi or Hartley in the car at the end but Lopez was absolutely fine. Admittedly, I'm not a Toyota fan and this races proves again that they are the biggest drama queens in the whole WEC paddock and anything they say is BS at the highest level, any sympathy I'd have for them is basically gone
  • Porsche: I'm admittedly a Porsche fanboy, wasn't happy with their 963 results, at all, I hoped the #6 will be at the very least on the podium. As I understand, they made some Ferrari-like tire calls, as well. I was rooting for the same stuff as it happened in 2015 when the 919 won on the second try - but hey, there's always next year!
  • Isotta finishing was superb
  • the Alpine pace was surprisingly good, too bad they failed at the end
  • felt gutted when Kubica eliminated #15 - I like Kubica, I like the #83 Ferrari (the 499P is imho maybe the best looking prototype in this new era) and I'm also a bit of a BMW fanboy, too. It seemed to be a completely unnecessary maneuver...

GT3:
  • happy to see Porsche taking the win
  • also happy to see WRT and the Mustang on the podium
  • felt bad for #46 and #85

Also, big thanks to all of you here! I caught up with a few things in this thread :)

Something I find a little bit weird: no "Le Mans Ultimate" banners at the track or commentators talking about it (or did I miss it?)

I know most people are excited for the hypercars but I wish there was a bit more coverage for the LMGT3. I feel like they were mostly featured for the traffic that they caused for the hypercars.
There should be a channel for every Category, the way it is now is a one category race.

Yeah, that's how I felt too. Cars could do quite badly but if they stayed on the lead lap they just got brought back as soon as the safety car came in, and it just became clear that it was going to all be pointless fluctuations until the final 2 hours.

I enjoyed last year's race more than this year, so I think I came in with too high expectations. But I find this year left a slightly bitter taste, though I guess bias comes in there as I was hoping for a Toyota win and for Peugeot to make the top 10. Toyota did so well but ultimately luck was stacked against them (I don't think I'm being biased in saying that the #51 should have gotten a bigger penalty for the incident with car #8), and the Peugeots were just nowhere (but at least they didn't wind up in the garage this year).
Yeah, i think the tactic from most cars was to stay on the lead lap until the last 2 stints and then take it from there. And with that in mind i think the Ferrari victory was "ok", by then the dice was rolling with every incident and it was hard to beat that by being the best car. In other words, it could just as well have been Toyota.

I wonder if Ferrari will build some kind of halo road car to celebrate these back to back wins at Le Mans. Would make more sense than trying to tie the F## halo car of the day to F1, which they've been doing since the F50. The F40 was basically a Group B endurance racer with number plates.

I wonder if Ferrari will build some kind of halo road car to celebrate these back to back wins at Le Mans. Would make more sense than trying to tie the F## halo car of the day to F1, which they've been doing since the F50. The F40 was basically a Group B endurance racer with number plates.
In a way, Ferrari already is. not a true road car, but a track-day version of it.
Hypercar:
  • congrats to Ferrari
  • #7 made a great race, I think Lopez was driving great at the end - in 2023 it was a mistake not to have Buemi or Hartley in the car at the end but Lopez was absolutely fine. Admittedly, I'm not a Toyota fan and this races proves again that they are the biggest drama queens in the whole WEC paddock and anything they say is BS at the highest level, any sympathy I'd have for them is basically gone
  • Porsche: I'm admittedly a Porsche fanboy, wasn't happy with their 963 results, at all, I hoped the #6 will be at the very least on the podium. As I understand, they made some Ferrari-like tire calls, as well. I was rooting for the same stuff as it happened in 2015 when the 919 won on the second try - but hey, there's always next year!
  • Isotta finishing was superb
  • the Alpine pace was surprisingly good, too bad they failed at the end
  • felt gutted when Kubica eliminated #15 - I like Kubica, I like the #83 Ferrari (the 499P is imho maybe the best looking prototype in this new era) and I'm also a bit of a BMW fanboy, too. It seemed to be a completely unnecessary maneuver...
I watched most of the race, so I will preface this with I am by no means a Ferrari fan, but they were handed this victory on a plate. They had pace in hand on everyone else the entire weekend. The 50 should've had an unsafe release penalty at least once, the 51 was handed a 5 second penalty for taking out the 8 in the last 2 hours (should've been at least the 45 seconds that the 8 actually lost), then there's the 83 that should've been parked for a lap after taking out the 15 BMW. Mistakes happen, but any other manufacturer and the penalties would've been worse. It was great that the Isotta finished as well. This year's race stunk of FIA interference and manipulation, IMO.

In a way, Ferrari already is. not a true road car, but a track-day version of it.

I watched most of the race, so I will preface this with I am by no means a Ferrari fan, but they were handed this victory on a plate. They had pace in hand on everyone else the entire weekend. The 50 should've had an unsafe release penalty at least once, the 51 was handed a 5 second penalty for taking out the 8 in the last 2 hours (should've been at least the 45 seconds that the 8 actually lost), then there's the 83 that should've been parked for a lap after taking out the 15 BMW. Mistakes happen, but any other manufacturer and the penalties would've been worse. It was great that the Isotta finished as well. This year's race stunk of FIA interference and manipulation, IMO.
5 second longer pitstop in a 24 hour race is like a snowball in hell.

Hell (tihi) even 30 seconds won't matter much.

5 second longer pitstop in a 24 hour race is like a snowball in hell.

Hell (tihi) even 30 seconds won't matter much.
I agree, but it also took 45 minutes to review the 51 incident as well. 30 seconds would have at least taken away the advantage that was gained by spinning the 8, not to mention that is was in the last 2 hours of the race. The ACO is notoriously strict on pit lane infringements, unless its the Ferrari, then they spike the ball hard.

Yeah, obviously why I kept reporting on the Lexus team throughout. There were cars battling from third to tenth the whole time. I shouldn’t have to splitcreen the Live Timing app and the race. If they left a permanent ticker at the bottom I would have been satisfied.

Looking at the #83's onboard (and a couple of minutes beforehand), it actually looks slightly more innocent an error.

The #15 was trying to keep itself on the lead lap, so not... exactly ignoring blue flags but certainly doing little to make the Ferrari's life easier. It kept coming back in braking zones to retake the position and while I'd have to watch it back again (not in the best place to do that right now as I'm at an airport hotel!) it looked like it straight-lined the second Mulsanne chicane just before the collision.

That resulted in the #83 trying to pass an LMGT3 car while the #15 was alongside it, effectively running in a turbulent tunnel between them, and it looked to me like the #83 just pulled itself to the right as he cleared the dirty air of the GT3 car.

I'd need to watch it again but my initial reaction from the 90s leading up to it was that the BMW was putting itself in a position to be hit - and while that doesn't absolve the car that hit it, it was an unnecessary risk in a 24h endurance race.

It's also why you don't go three-wide on a motorway.

Looking at the #83's onboard (and a couple of minutes beforehand), it actually looks slightly more innocent an error.

The #15 was trying to keep itself on the lead lap, so not... exactly ignoring blue flags but certainly doing little to make the Ferrari's life easier. It kept coming back in braking zones to retake the position and while I'd have to watch it back again (not in the best place to do that right now as I'm at an airport hotel!) it looked like it straight-lined the second Mulsanne chicane just before the collision.

That resulted in the #83 trying to pass an LMGT3 car while the #15 was alongside it, effectively running in a turbulent tunnel between them, and it looked to me like the #83 just pulled itself to the right as he cleared the dirty air of the GT3 car.

I'd need to watch it again but my initial reaction from the 90s leading up to it was that the BMW was putting itself in a position to be hit - and while that doesn't absolve the car that hit it, it was an unnecessary risk in a 24h endurance race.

It's also why you don't go three-wide on a motorway.
I agree with this assessment. Running three wide at nearly 300 kph on the bumpy Mulsanne Straight is what caused the accident, not Robert Kubica suddenly remembering the last time a BMW cut him off in traffic and deciding to get revenge. It was an unfortunate racing incident, but that's all it was.

Latest Posts

Back