25 Hours of Thunderhill -- This weekend!

• Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 19 comments
United States
California
gdwest1
A small track in Northern California (Actual Northern California, not Sacramento) hosts the "Worlds Longest Endurance Race"- a 25 hour racing event at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Major racing series can talk up "Pro-Am" racing all they want, this is a race where someone with a handful of Track Day and NASA/SCCA experience can race up against some of the best drivers in the world. (See Below)

This event is only a couple hours drive from my home (Actually the closest road course to my house), thus, me and a couple mates will go down to watch... The whole thing.

So if any GTP members are willing to come watch some action and drama, and in turn, support a great track and event, post here!

It's worth saying that this is a pretty good opportunity to get autographs from all of the popular drivers, since this is likely the least-well publicized event they will go to all year.

The field is massively diverse- here are some of the cars;
Acura 1LX (UTCC) (Ran by Honda Racing)
All shapes and regs of Mazda Miata
Norma M20F (A type of Prototype, open-cockpit)
BMW E92 M3 (NASA GTS)
Radical SR3 (SCCA CSR)
Porsche 944
Porsche 997 Cup
Panoz GTS (SCCA GT2)
Fiat 500 Abarth (SCCA PWC-TC)
Audi TTRS (VLN)

The class breakdown is E0, E1, E2, E3, ES, ESR
E0-3 is for spec racers, and local-type race cars.
ES is for cars from classes like the Grand-Am ES, or the various SCCA/NASA GT classes. Also Porsche Cup/GTC

ESR is a sort of catch-all Unlimited class. If someone wanted to show up with a DP, LMP, or other Stupidly-fast prototype/ GT car, this is where they would go. The current ESR entries are Radical-looking Prototypes.

Look it up, here's a documentary of last year's race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdJKTH7vVQ&feature=relmfu

Last year's winning car was driven by Wolf Henzler and Johannes Van Overbeek.
It's allegedly an amateur event, but Simon Pagenaud was there with Honda last year.

50+ cars, at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Who wants to go? I'll be there the whole time- December 8-9th.
\

Current Notable Entrants:
43 Krider Racing Blue Bryan Heitkotter (Nissan Sentra)

75 MazdaSpeed Motorsports Development Thomas Long (Mazda 2) (Grand Am GT driver)
75 MazdaSpeed Motorsports Development Charles Espenlaub (same as above)
75 MazdaSpeed Motorsports Development Tristan Vautier () (Indy Lights 2012 Champion)

51 Motorsport Solutions 1 Jon Fogarty (Porsche 997 Cup [GTC]) (Bob Stallings/Gainsco Grand-Am DP)
51 Motorsport Solutions 1 Johannes Van Overbeek () (Patron ESM Ferrari ALMS GTE)

64 CJ Wilson Racing 1 Tristian Nunez (Mazda MX-5 Cup) (ALMS Prototype Lites)

Final registration is NOT due, so the driver list will only get bigger

Last edited:
The 25 is a really cool event. I live not that far and I've been meaning to go for years. I might try and cover it this year if I can.

Hmmmm, I'll be there at some point in the future, but, this year's out; no money, no time, and no car (I'm going to look at one at some point soon.) Otherwise, it sounds great. Besides, I'd need a co-driver, and I only know idiots, lunatics, and those who are slow.

How sick would a GTP team be? Granted, it would get expensive, having everyone come out for practice and stuff.

One of my mate's driving instructors will be in the race, so I'll have at least one person to hang out with.

My friend actually drove in last year's. (For the 949 Racing team in one of their Miatas.) I'd love to drive in the 25, but yeah, it'd be ridiculously expensive. You're talking 5k a person for the necessary racing school for NASA/SCCA licensing alone, plus probably 2k+ of gear (suit, helmet, nomex, shoes, gloves, HANS, etc), and that's before you even touch the cost of the car and crew.

I've done three of my five school days and have lots of experience driving cars quickly, on and off track, but I don't think I'll be on a team any time soon...

I said it would be cool, not practical ;)

Now I've got 2 mates coming with me. Fixing to be quite the party if anyone else comes.

Start walking! If you get to the California border I'll pick you up haha

It's the passport. I could "borrow" my dad's Hyundai... if I could make it to California, I could certainly trust it to go back & forth to school. Otherwise, no, you need a passport, to go to America, or even just to leave health-and-safety-land [I mean Canada.]

Well, if any other people want to come, please do! (Especially you lot in the Bay Area, it's not too long of a drive.)

Here's an example of some of the cars that are in attendance.

Acura 1LX (UTCC) (Ran by Honda Racing)
All shapes and regs of Mazda Miata
Norma M20F (A type of Prototype, open-cockpit)
BMW E92 M3 (NASA GTS)
Radical SR3 (SCCA CSR)
Porsche 944
Porsche 997 Cup
Panoz GTS (SCCA GT2)
Fiat 500 Abarth (SCCA PWC-TC)
Audi TTRS (VLN)

The class breakdown is E0, E1, E2, E3, ES, ESR
E0-3 is for spec racers, and local-type race cars.
ES is for cars from classes like the Grand-Am ES, or the various SCCA/NASA GT classes. Also Porsche Cup/GTC

ESR is a sort of catch-all Unlimited class. If someone wanted to show up with a DP, LMP, or other Stupidly-fast prototype/ GT car, this is where they would go. The current ESR entries are Radical-looking Prototypes.

On da real though, it would be awesome to have a group of GTP-ers at the race!

Race is this weekend....
Just applied for a photography pass. Still hoping to see some of you out there!

Are you covering it for a publication?

I might shoot an email to my editor and see if he wants me to go. I can't find the event's press page, is it just the email in the press packet or am I missing a more serious form?

Last edited:
Are you covering it for a publication?

I might shoot an email to my editor and see if he wants me to go. I can't find the event's press page, is it just the email in the press packet or am I missing a more serious form?

I found nothing, so I used the one in the Press Packet. I'm sure if thats not it, he can point us in the right direction.

And yeah, I'd be covering it for a publication....

Granted, It's my school newspaper(High School, at that), so I'm not really sure if I'll even get a reply, much less get permission to walk about, taking pictures of everything.

But hey, I figured it was worth a shot. Never know if you don't ask.

I found nothing, so I used the one in the Press Packet. I'm sure if thats not it, he can point us in the right direction.

And yeah, I'd be covering it for a publication....

Granted, It's my school newspaper(High School, at that), so I'm not really sure if I'll even get a reply, much less get permission to walk about, taking pictures of everything.

But hey, I figured it was worth a shot. Never know if you don't ask.

Any luck? They're giving me an unusual level of runaround, maybe I should've had my editor send the app instead of doing it myself.

Any luck? They're giving me an unusual level of runaround, maybe I should've had my editor send the app instead of doing it myself.

Well, I sent a well-thought-out email about myself, the paper, etc. and got this back...

"Ryan:

We are sorry, but insurance regulations are very strict about granting "over the wall" access to anyone under 18 years of age. "

I shortly thereafter said that being over the wall wasnt really necessary, and permission to walk in the paddock would be brilliant. He has yet to reply.
I also find this to be quite a lie, since one of my mates (Same age, but does lots of track days with his father) gets to be a flag-carrying corner worker. And to top that, his email seemed really... shallow and apathetic.

I'd try having the editor send one off, or look around for a higher-level media contact with NASA

He forwarded me to the NASA guy so hopefully that's gonna go OK. I'm not hugely surprised about the insurance thing, track days can be a lot more lax about that kind of stuff but the policies for pro races can be pretty strict. I actually have my own liability insurance that some events require before you're allowed anywhere near the action.

So after the runaround with the first media contact and being directed to the second guy, I get told that the deadline's long past. Why did the first guy not just tell me that then?

Takumi Fujiwara
So after the runaround with the first media contact and being directed to the second guy, I get told that the deadline's long past. Why did the first guy not just tell me that then?

Doesn't surprise me... why didn't they just give the real contact the first time? Ah well. Still going to go?

Back