How The FIA Helped Develop Gran Turismo Sport

In all honestly currently I do not see how the FIA championship will really remain a draw among the "normal or average" players of the game as the only rewards or benefits are geared towards the fastest alien drivers only.

The races are not time friendly to many regions which totally does not really make any sense as to why this is being done this way and add in the fact that because of the points many drivers are more aggressive and the current penalty system in many cases punishes the innocent driver on the outside of a corner being used as a berm instead of the aggressor causing the contact.

For this to be a focal point of the game then the rewards need to be divided to include all classes of racers not just the fastest of the fast. Penalties need to penalize the driver that cause the incident rather than the innocent driver who has not done anything wrong.

And the races need to be spread out over a larger time frame of the day to allow more people to fit the race into their schedules rather than fit their real life schedule to accommodate a race within a video game.

Until this series has more to offer the AVERAGE player I do not see it being a primary focus within the game which I think it wants to be.

Last edited:
In all honestly currently I do not see how the FIA championship will really remain a draw among the "normal or average" players of the game as the only rewards or benefits are geared towards the fastest alien drivers only.

The races are not time friendly to many regions which totally does not really make any sense as to why this is being done this way and add in the fact that because of the points many drivers are more aggressive and the current penalty system in many cases punishes the innocent driver on the outside of a corner being used as a berm instead of the aggressor causing the contact.

For this to be a focal point of the game then the rewards need to be divided to include all classes of racers not just the fastest of the fast. Penalties need to be penalize the driver that cause the incident rather than the innocent driver who has not done anything wrong.

And the races need to be spread out over a larger time frame of the day to allow more people to fit the race into their schedules rather than fit their real life schedule to accommodate a race within a video game.

Until this series has more to offer the AVERAGE player I do not see it being a primary focus within the game which I think it wants to be.
This to me is the biggest problem.

There has been countless times over the past several weeks where I have been an innocent bystander of some spineless idiot taking me out of a race.

Something has to be done about this because the dirty drivers are getting there way and it defeats the whole purpose of this if they continue to get away with it.

As you just touched on it, it seams that this type of driving behavior tends to be worst in the Manufacturers and Nations Cups Races more so then the Daily Races.

I am now starting to only participate in the Daily Races to get my Rating up, because it's becoming impossible with this broken system that awards jerks, especially in the Cup Races as they are even more aggressive there.

Regardless of whether or not they'll be successful, it's probably the right direction. Motorsports (all sports, really) are dying out in an agonizingly slow fashion. They probably won't go anywhere, not for decades and decades to come, but they're rapidly dwindling and e-sports is on the rise.

More young people watch professional League of Legends and Counter Strike than they ever do football, and that trend is going to decline rapidly.

I'm not surprised the FIA are sh**ting their pants about their future. Steve Bornstein left his job as CEO of the NFL network to work with Activision on Overwatch esports, borrowing an old Gretzky quote - "Skate to where the puck is going".

Sports are a sinking ship. I don't think they're going to be dead any time soon like some doomsayers seem to believe, but it's getting harder and harder to market to young people.

It's funny because the competitive and cleaner races I've had in the FIA, that's if I've found people who are more occupied in not letting go than in running, but that's part of, I hate the whiners who do not know how to deal with that.

Also why should everyone be rewarded? The point is that the prize is for those who are better or those who strive the most, are banalizing the competition, it seems a postmodernity discussion where everyone must win and everyone happy hahahaha for something is competition, only the strongest must win

It does make sense. He was sarcastically implying that you would be able to do a better job of making this game in partnership with the FIA than Polyphony did.

I would. That's why it doesn't make sense.

You have to realise how much PD and the FIA has messed this up.

Well, I appreciate the initiative of FIA to bring real motorsports championships to videogames, and what about those talks of the future of motorsports being uncertain?
Hopefully they(FIA) don't actually believe that video games are an alternative to the existence of the sport, at end, video games are still just a hobby, and a big part of the players aren't mature or responsible enough to take it serious.

I wonder if those seasons are going to breed a new Lucas Ordonez?

Last edited:
Regardless of whether or not they'll be successful, it's probably the right direction. Motorsports (all sports, really) are dying out in an agonizingly slow fashion. They probably won't go anywhere, not for decades and decades to come, but they're rapidly dwindling and e-sports is on the rise.

More young people watch professional League of Legends and Counter Strike than they ever do football, and that trend is going to decline rapidly.

I'm not surprised the FIA are ******** their pants about their future. Steve Bornstein left his job as CEO of the NFL network to work with Activision on Overwatch esports, borrowing an old Gretzky quote - "Skate to where the puck is going".

Sports are a sinking ship. I don't think they're going to be dead any time soon like some doomsayers seem to believe, but it's getting harder and harder to market to young people.

Sports are never going to die do not be exaggerated, that "electronic sports" are more popular among young people is because they are more accessible and everyone can compete, the goal has always been (for the aliens) to win in GT, PC , Asseto etc and be able to compete in reality

the goal has always been (for the aliens) to win in GT, PC , Asseto etc and be able to compete in reality
If the majority of virtual world racers even the fast guys think they can in the real world exceed track limits, bounce over curbings, run every race lap like it is a qualifying lap prematurely using up the tires in the real world without consequences that could cost multiple thousands of dollars to the race team in repairs not to mention possible serious injury to the driver as a result of such "racing practices" resulting in major medical bills or even possible death then I have some prime ocean front property for sale in the state of Arizona, U.S.A. for sale.

Sense of speed. feel of being on the absolute edge of mechanical or actual tire grip limits, reaction time along with the effects of heat or fatigue are just a few of the real world differences that you cannot learn from playing a video game.

Yes, a game can teach you the general layout of a race course or perhaps the best line taking out the effect that bumps or ripples in the track or how grip levels change do not add into the game that can very much effect a real world approach to a corner but if you really think you are an accomplished real world racer from playing a game please see the notation of the real estate offered for sale above.

Yes, a game can teach you the general layout of a race course or perhaps the best line taking out the effect that bumps or ripples in the track or how grip levels change do not add into the game that can very much effect a real world approach to a corner but if you really think you are an accomplished real world racer from playing a game please see the notation of the real estate offered for sale above.

It's worked out pretty well for people such as Lucas Ordonez and I'd venture to say the GT academy stuff went off pretty well. Good for PD, Nissan, and a few drivers at least. And the sport, and it's fans in both real world and sim.

I'm not surprised the FIA are sh**ting their pants about their future. Steve Bornstein left his job as CEO of the NFL network to work with Activision on Overwatch esports, borrowing an old Gretzky quote - "Skate to where the puck is going".

I agree with you, a lot tv network like espn and Tbs right now start to try getting the right to broadcast the events to make people watch there network. It seem more people watch more than other networks that don't make money.

I do not believe that. That's what PD wants us to believe.

I think all this is a pure marketing move.

In the end, it was nothing like that. The PD must have gone behind only the FIA seal (to use its logo in the game) as a marketing move.

It does not make the least sense when the MAIN Endurance and Touring CIRCUITS are not in the game.

What is the logic of this?

There are no excuses for the lack of race tracks.

If all this history were legitimate, Spa, La Sarthe, Monza, Zolder, Hockenheim would be in the game. At least two of them would be.

But, ironically, not one racetrack is in the game. Absurd!

Assuming they flesh out Sport mode, there is no reason why they cannot hold championships/qualifying rounds for slower drivers, as other games do that have similar ratings.

But without being rude, what the **** kind of system/competition/sport would it be if the fastest drivers didn't win?

Edit:
To expand a bit, plenty of both virtual and real sports have competitions to which only the best can ever apply. I came from Starcraft 2, where if you didn't practice for 10hrs a day you weren't even good enough to get to the top of the leader boards.
Yet I still play Starcraft 2 and have done without fail since it launched some 7 years ago.

The reason why people keep playing things without competing is because they are fun. People play football every week, twice a week for some, and the vast majority of them have no chance of even being semi-pro or playing for a club team, let alone getting to a pro team and attending award ceremonies...

The aliens, the fastest people should be the ones recognised because to be that good takes hard work and dedication that most people don't have or can't give.

Last edited:
Na, participation ribbons used to be purple when I was a kid lol.

oh-you-got-a-participation-ribbon-you-must-be-so-popular-with-the-ladies.jpg

If the majority of virtual world racers even the fast guys think they can in the real world exceed track limits, bounce over curbings, run every race lap like it is a qualifying lap prematurely using up the tires in the real world without consequences that could cost multiple thousands of dollars to the race team in repairs not to mention possible serious injury to the driver as a result of such "racing practices" resulting in major medical bills or even possible death then I have some prime ocean front property for sale in the state of Arizona, U.S.A. for sale.

Sense of speed. feel of being on the absolute edge of mechanical or actual tire grip limits, reaction time along with the effects of heat or fatigue are just a few of the real world differences that you cannot learn from playing a video game.

Tell that to Lucas Ordoñez or Ricardo Sanchez.
Although these players already had experiences in the real world, GT brought them closer to reality ...

Also you are always learning every day, do you think that they will not? ****, how much envy! Neither iRacing simulates fatigue nor the blows inside the cabin but that is learned over time

But without being rude, what the **** kind of system/competition/sport would it be if the fastest drivers didn't win?

Not saying in the least that the fastest guys should not win, only that with only the very top 1% being the only ones to have a chance at winning then why would the remaining 99% of the racers playing the game have any incentive to remain involved in this aspect of the game.

Even pro racing has different class levels to reward drivers across all levels of their competition. Why would a DR C or a DR D racer care whether they raced in the championship series at all under the current set up?

FIA championships should be the same way giving all racers a reason to participate. Currently that is not the case.

Not saying in the least that the fastest guys should not win, only that with only the very top 1% being the only ones to have a chance at winning then why would the remaining 99% of the racers playing the game have any incentive to remain involved in this aspect of the game.

Even pro racing has different class levels to reward drivers across all levels of their competition. Why would a DR C or a DR D racer care whether they raced in the championship series at all under the current set up?

FIA championships should be the same way giving all racers a reason to participate. Currently that is not the case.

GT Sport has different DR's though, so what's to say when it gets fleshed out they wont split it up?

I also edited my other post, to expand a bit rather than just being flippant haha

I do not believe that. That's what PD wants us to believe.

I think all this is a pure marketing move.

In the end, it was nothing like that. The PD must have gone behind only the FIA seal (to use its logo in the game) as a marketing move.

It does not make the least sense when the MAIN Endurance and Touring CIRCUITS are not in the game.

What is the logic of this?

There are no excuses for the lack of race tracks.

If all this history were legitimate, Spa, La Sarthe, Monza, Zolder, Hockenheim would be in the game. At least two of them would be.

But, ironically, not one racetrack is in the game. Absurd!

As easy as it is an alternative.

Why do you want the same thing but in virtual? The point is that it is another category, if they wanted the same they would go with iRacing or Asseto Corsa.

The FIA itself makes official tournaments in the games of Code masters, do you think it's logical? The F1 games are a mockery in physics and penalties but the point is to bring an alternative to real events, not a copy and paste.

That is a good point, and a good idea, however I have to say that there is something called fun or entertainment, I play it for that ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back