5 Best RWD Cars under 10K

Canada
Vancouver, BC
liampage123
Looking to buy my first car within about a year. I really would like a RWD one, much more fun.

Type up your 5 best RWD cars under 10K.

They must handle well!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Cadillac Coupe Deville
Plymouth Fury III
Chevrolet Caprice classic
Lincoln Continental Town Car
Chrysler Newport

All can be found for easily under $10,000.

91-94_Nissan_240SX.jpg

1990_nissan_300zx_2_dr_turbo_hatchback-pic-25821.jpeg

1986_toyota_mr2-pic-1204831880386189706.jpeg

mazda-miata-mx-5-05.jpg

1990_Mazda_RX7_FC3S_Modified.jpg

Cadillac Coupe Deville
Plymouth Fury III
Chrysler Newport

So which one of those handles well? :lol:

As for the OP, E30s are one of the best ways to get into rear wheel drive cars. If you can find the one E30 that's not beat to hell that still exists, look into it. $10k buys you one of the best E36s as well. But for pure driving pleasure, most seem to like the simple E30 the best.

So which one of those handles well? :lol:

As for the OP, E30s are one of the best ways to get into rear wheel drive cars. If you can find the one E30 that's not beat to hell that still exists, look into it. $10k buys you one of the best E36s as well. But for pure driving pleasure, most seem to like the simple E30 the best.

Um, well I've driven the Caprice Classic and my Parisienne, both have effortless steering, and you don't feel a thing going down the road. So all of them I assume. I love the way they wallop through the corners.

Um, well I've driven the Caprice Classic and my Parisienne, both have effortless steering, and you don't feel a thing going down the road. So all of them I assume. I love the way they wallop through the corners.

Would like to see a single one of those try to keep up with an E36 M3 down any road with turns.

Would like to see a single one of those try to keep up with an E36 M3 down any road with turns.

I'd like to see an E36 M3 look as classy, be as practical, or comfortable as any one of those, or even survive a demolition derby as long as one of those.

Cancel that I don't want to see an E36 whatever you call it...

And all that has what to with handling?

I'd also like to see where the OP asked about demolition derby performance.

My advice: E36 M3. Try to find one that hasn't been modified too much or driven by a goon.

Bolded is the bit where you seem to misunderstand the term "handling".

It isn't that not feeling anything as you go down the road is a bad thing (if your primary aim is going for hundreds of miles in a straight line, it's a very good thing indeed), but cars that "handle well" don't usually weigh 5,000 lbs and have steering you can operate with a single finger.

On a different note, not entirely sure what part of handling requires a car to be good at demolition derbies, either. I can't recall hearing stories of Colin Chapman slapping his chassis engineers over the head when the Elan wasn't tough enough to be crashed into by rednecks.

Cadillac Coupe Deville
Plymouth Fury III
Chrysler Newport

Yep. When I think of fun, sporty, agile cars with great handling, these are always the first five cars which pop into my head. 👍

Edit: I had a quick squiz in the used car sales, and you can buy Porsche Boxsters for under 10 Grand. Definitely something to consider.

Last edited:
I'd like to see an E36 M3 look as classy, be as practical, or comfortable as any one of those, or even survive a demolition derby as long as one of those.

Cancel that I don't want to see an E36 whatever you call it...

I'm gonna take a super wild guess here, but I bet you've never driven an ///M down a mountain road before, have you.... those boats you listed wouldn't stand a chance at 'handling' those hugging corners.

Cadillac Coupe Deville
Plymouth Fury III
Chrysler Newport

Depends on what you mean by "easily". I fell asleep reading the list there - actually hunting for one may result in a permanent vegetative state.

Seriously, I don't even know what three of those look like and the two I do know I could easily mix up. You may as well have suggested a Buick Narcoleptic Tranquiliser.

With so many RWD cars in the market today that are that cheap it's really down to what you like style wise. I don't think it could be narrowed down to just 5 because the options are nearly endless. Not much more I can add to that really.

With so many RWD cars in the market today that are that cheap it's really down to what you like style wise. I don't think it could be narrowed down to just 5 because the options are nearly endless. Not much more I can add to that really.

Your not going to recommend a Ford?

Jesus.

Your not going to recommend a Ford?

Jesus.

No. There's plenty of other competition out there other than just them.

It's not about how cheap they are, it's about what condition they are in.

They have to fit the budget and be in good condition, I see your point however. Different conditions sway prices a bit therefore overall options increases again.

SA22C/FB33 RX-7
NA-NB MX-5
FC3S RX-7
E30 BMW
E36 BMW
AW11 MR-2
Z32 300ZX
240z/260z

These can all be had well below 10k in average condition or around 10k in pristine condition. Cars like the S2000 and Boxster can be found at or below 10k, but I would question their longevity at that price.

I vote against the 240sx due to the very poor stock engine (no character, flat dull power delivery, heavy, lack of high RPM performance, poor sound) and overall dullness of the car. I don't like them at all.

I had to comment on the hilarity of the first page. The best part is that geriatric collection of barges is the VERY FIRST response. Like with all the members GTP has, all the great inexpensive rwd cars out there, and those are the first five :P Ok I'm done.

On topic, I noticed you live in Canada. If our hat is anything like us here in the states, maintenance cost on an E36 could very possibly bring you well over 10k within a few months. But it would be really fun while it lasted :)

I'd go with the Nissan or the Toyota. If you look you might find a good S2000 for under 10.

Miata / MX-5 or an E36, as suggested. I doubt you could get anything that's as much outright fun as the Miata, but the E36 combines practicality, fun and performance very, very well. It's a BMW, after all. Keeping the Miata running should be a good bit cheaper, though, from what I know.

The 300ZX might be a good choice as well, have heard a lot of good things about them. I'd probably go for the NA version, not as powerful, but less turbos to break down. Cars I wouldn't go with are the S13 (180SX) and the RX-7. Not a fan of rotaries and finding a good 180SX for a good price seems to get harder every day. At least around here. Guess they're a little hyped up.

/edit: Some good cars listed by Leonidae@MFT, in my opinion... Mercedes, BMWs and Porsches can be a bit costly to maintain, though. Gotta love a Z3, anyways.

You're not seriously suggesting that a big Lincoln, oversized Cadillac or bloated Chrysler are nimble? They weren't particularly revolutionary in handling when new, let alone after 20-25 years of decadence.

OP wanted a good handling RWD car. Big American town cars do not fulfill that criterion.

You're not seriously suggesting that a big Lincoln, oversized Cadillac or bloated Chrysler are nimble? They weren't particularly revolutionary in handling when new, let alone after 20-25 years of decadence.

OP wanted a good handling RWD car. Big American town cars do not fulfill that criterion.

No I wasn't suggesting that at all. I was simply disagreeing with McLaren that they are big piles of rust. While I like the cars that were listed I agree they are in no way quick or light on their feet.

Back