5 Best RWD Cars under 10K

I've got the August '11 issues of Super Street in front of me, in which they did a feature on the 10 best project cars for under $10k. Finding one of these stock and in good condition without the intent to modify still provides a fun drive.

Taking out the FWD's:
'84-87 Corolla GT-S Way overpriced for what it is. Initial D tax. Avoid. AW11 MR-2 is better in every way anyways.
'89-98 240SX Some people love them, but I'm not one of them. KA24 sucks.
'89-96 Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi Not rwd. Crank Walk. Transmissions. I actually like the engine, not much else
'90-97 Miata Yes!
'92-96 SC 300/400 A little heavy, not really a sports car, but nice nonetheless
'02-04 WRX Not rwd, but they are great fun
'90-96 300ZX TT It will be too hard to find a nice one under 10k. An n/a model though, might be a good startig point for a young driver

My first car was a rwd turbo car. Merkur XR4ti. Maybe my experience is tainted because those cars are notoriously hard to get right but I spent more time wondering why the car wasn't running right than actually driving it. To that end, I would personally avoid turbo cars. Fast is not really a problem as long as the OP is responsible. I had a cammed, bolt on, and geared 5 liter foxbody mustang in high school and I didn't die even once.

The OP might look at base model verions of some of the 90's super coupes. The MK3 Supra or Z32 300zx are pretty well built cars, and you can get pristine, low mileage, n/a examples for probably 6k. Then you have a great starting point for something. This also applies to FC RX-7s. They are slow stock, but they still can teach you a lot about handling and finesse.

An E30 or E36 BMW (NOT M3, too expensive!) will be great fun out of the box with any engine. They are extremely well built, but from what I've seen, parts can be expensive.

A lot of good cars have already been mentioned and I'd like to add these to the list.

• 02-04 Ford Mustang GT
  • Mazda RX-8
  • 2nd Gen Toyota Supra

95-02 Camaro Z28/SS anyone?

More of a pain in that ass to take car of than it's worth IMO. Especially working on the engine....it's shoved halfway up under the windshield and the only way to get it out is to drop it out the bottom.

About the New Edge Mustang, get the V6 version, not too powerful and it's an alright car to drive.

I forgot this was for a kid. Disregard all those posts. Just realized he lives in Canada too. Ugggghhhh get a Volvo...

More of a pain in that ass to take car of than it's worth IMO. Especially working on the engine....it's shoved halfway up under the windshield and the only way to get it out is to drop it out the bottom.
The 4th F-Bodies are among the easiest cars to work with in the rare occasions that they even need anything to begin with. And yes, you can pull it out through the top. It's easier with a LT1 than the LS1, but both are doable. The quickest route though, is naturally through the bottom & that's far from difficult on the topic of pulling an engine out. Takes an hour top with 2 people.

I smell Ford bias in your post than a legitimate concern.

And why again are people suggesting Boxsters/Z3s/SLKs for someone whose budget is $10,000? Even if you can find one in that range, chances are he can't afford the unavoidable maintenance that will happen.

And why again are people suggesting Boxsters/Z3s/SLKs for someone whose budget is $10,000? Even if you can find one in that range, chances are he can't afford the unavoidable maintenance that will happen.

You're thinking that he'd take it to high end repairshop that specializes in those brands? Quite a bit of the maintenance can be done by yourself if you know how and have the commonly required tools. Oilchange, oil/airfilter change, plugs, brake pads and disks, not to mention light bulbs can be done home. ;)

And why are we suggesting such cars? Because they are amongst the best RWD cars, that's why.

You're thinking that he'd take it to high end repairshop that specializes in those brands? Quite a bit of the maintenance can be done by yourself if you know how and have the commonly required tools. Oilchange, oil/airfilter change, plugs, brake pads and disks, not to mention light bulbs can be done home. ;)

Assuming OP knows a spanner from a screwdriver.

And why are we suggesting such cars? Because they are amongst the best RWD cars, that's why.

Because it's OP's first car. Something cheaper and more sensible is the way to go.

Well, if we're suggesting Porsches more complex than the 9x4 series, just have the OP go buy a 70's 911 that "needs a bit of work".

:P

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions. Most likely gonna go for an MX5.

Porsche 944 = expensive parts
E30 or E36 = still pretty pricey for parts.

But yet, we forget 2 things about most German cars.

1: Parts aren't cheap. Even if you can do the maintenance, of the 3 listed, the Porsche costs have not dwindled. I doubt the Mercedes has, either.

2: If any of these cars are close to their first major service, have fun doing it yourself & pray you can live without a working car.

Out of the 3, the Z3 will probably be the most reliable as it shares a lot with the E36/46 generation cars which are pretty problem free as long as the upkeep is done.
Not for $10,000, they're not. They're more potential money pits than actually something the OP is ready to use. A $10K budget is not recommended for any of the 3. They are the kind of cars that you save an extra $5,000 for in case something goes wrong.

And a PPI is an absolute must for the OP if even considers them. Costly, but it will potentially save you in the long run.

EunosCosmo
'92-96 SC 300/400 A little heavy, not really a sports car, but nice nonetheless

I think SS included this in their list as a 'cheap Supra' more than anything. If we're going by looks, I think I'd rather have one of these than the Supra anyway.

I just quickly skimmed through the thread, so I might have missed something. Sorry.

Bolded is the bit where you seem to misunderstand the term "handling".

It isn't that not feeling anything as you go down the road is a bad thing (if your primary aim is going for hundreds of miles in a straight line, it's a very good thing indeed), but cars that "handle well" don't usually weigh 5,000 lbs and have steering you can operate with a single finger.

Coming from an owner of a (slightly smaller than those) land barge, I agree completely. But typically, when land barge owners are talking about handling, they don't mean going around corners quickly. They mean soaking up bumps and being easy to drive. Doesn't make much sense, I know, but it's what they do.

R170 SLK, BMW Z3, MR2, Porsche 944 turbo, FC RX-7 turbo

Yes, because those won't all be outrageous on insurance...

'Cause they're all boring piles of rust. :rolleyes:

👎

There aren't going to be too many American cars from the 70's left that haven't succumbed to rust. Doubly so for the big barges, because a lot of them have been turned into the vaunted demolition derby cars so highly spoken of.

Not quite sure what you mean here, I see tons of 70's cars around where I live. Even more if you search online for ones for sale.

The Porsche 944 fulfills all the given criteria, and I've heard you can get them at amazingly cheap prices from people who fear replacement parts costs. I've seen them running in LeMons where the budget limit is $500, so I doubt a good one would cost $10k. The earlier, narrower, less powerful, but very similar 924 would probably be similar, but the less-powerful models could be easily beaten by just about anything, including my stupid old Pontiac Sunbird.

Think about it, a Porsche for a first car? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me... Plus, I doubt parts are cheap on them.

The Mazda Miata is probably a good choice, but no matter what anyone says, it is a bit of a hairdresser's car.

I agree that it is a good choice, but I don't get why people call them "hairdresser's cars." I know it's just an expression but I've never seen any hairdresser drive one, I can't recall seeing very many women driving them. Mostly men. If the OP wants a Miata, he can get a Miata. Shame on whomever thinks he's a hairdresser (unless he's a hairdresser). (going on to the next part, I wasn't saying the Miata is manly)

The BMW Z3 and Mercedes-Benz SLK230 are heavier and more powerful, but overall probably not as fun as a Miata, and probably less manly as well (particularly the Mercedes, which contemporary reviews say is peaky and laggy despite using a supercharger in place of a turbocharger).

"Miata" should never be in the same sentence as "manly" unless it's describing it's un-manliness.

Anyways, the parts and insurance would be too much for those cars.

BMW's in general probably wouldn't be a good car, actually, unless he can afford everything besides the initial purchase price, which most people that have posted here have neglected to consider.

Sorry to pick your post apart, but no, just no.

Corvette for a first car? Sounds great...

Fox-body Mustangs

Something I truly agree with, and not because I'm partial to Fords. My friend had a Fox-body, it was a (I think) '91 4 cyl. with 5.0 badges and wheels. It was reliable. Bulletproof actually. I don't remember what ended up happening to it, but her dad painted it and then got divorced, and I don't talk with them very much. Anyways, at least in my opinion, a Fox-body would be a great first car. Insurance and parts are pretty decently cheap, too.

You want anything that is slow, safe and sensible. It's your first car, and as cool as it is to have a ton of power, you are probably better off with a slower car.

This. I can't believe the people recommending some of the cars here. I knew that's what would happen in this thread ever since I seen it had been created, which is why I've stayed out.

E36 M3s are fun, but I would never recommend that to a new 16 year old driver. Not to mention insurance cost will probably be through the roof on one of those.

Again, +1, people are being too ambitious.

So a Corolla, Civic or Protege type vehicles.

Or even some of the 'Murican crap boxes from the '90s-'00s, GM's and the like.

If you want a fun, cheap, RWD sports car, the Miata is always a good choice. If you are too worried about how people view you and your car

I agree, a Miata is a great choice.

And don't worry what people think of you in your car. I want a '73-
'74 Beetle as my first car (yes, I know it won't happen :lol:) and I'm as big as an NFL football player, I could care less if people say I'm weird for driving something I look out of place in. (although you in a Miata is probably a different situation, but you get the idea, I hope)

95-02 Camaro Z28/SS anyone?

I would get the V6. The Z28/SS would be too much for a 16/17 year old. He'd end up killing himself, the insurance would be sky-high, parts might not be that expensive, though. There are actually a few kids at my school with '95-'02 V6 Camaro's. Also a couple with the '99-ish-'04 V6 Mustang.

1. '95 240sx w/ RB25(50k) 95k on chassis. LOTS of mods. Looks clean too. $10k

Lots of mods on a first car? I don't even like the idea of buying a car with a lot of mods for a 50th car.

2. '97 M3 Manual- 115k miles(little high) This car is mint. No oxidation, tears, ect. No mods. It's well taken care of. $8k

3. '99 Porsche Boxter- 65k miles, 5 speed, sport package. $10.5k

:lol:

4. '95 Z/28- 6 speed hardtop. Cammed, worked msd distributor, headers, corsa exhaust, upgraded ssbc brakes and rotors, wheels, sound system, original paint and leather interior. $7k

Yea, that's probably not gonna happen.

5. Looked a little for this one. Wanted my last car to be unique so... 88' E24 M6 Red w/ tan interior. No rips or anything. Manual. 95k on the clock. $11.5 k. You could talk them down though.

Again, :lol:

Thanks for your suggestions. Most likely gonna go for an MX5.

An MX-5 is likely a good choice.

Last edited:
Don't believe a word anybody says about fox-body mustangs being good cars. They are piles of ****. Every single one of them. Me and my friends all had them in high school. They all fell apart. Everything constantly broke. From running gear parts, to interior, to exterior, to trim, to suspension...you name it, it was crudely built and not durable. For instance, the bellhousings are made of cheap aluminum and strip out easily. Same with the timing cover. The only halfway decent thing about the fox body Mustang is the engine, and that's only because it's fairly tough. They don't really make good power, and they can't take much power either. The transmission is weak, the rear suspension is intentionally badly designed and they rot and flex like no other car. They are truly god awful cars. For the love of God, stay away from them!!! I've always been a Ford guy, but the Fox Bodies truly define "fix or repair daily"

Every single one of us that owned one (there was six of us) has vowed never to own one again.

/rant

Last edited:
e30 freek
Bmw is the way to go get a 330i e46

+1 I got one to be my daily driver a few months ago, been excellent. Comfortable, excellent to drive, fast enough to be fun when you want to, reasonable economical, and the parts (unless you buy them from a dealer) are really not that bad.
Of course, most of my other parts-buying experience is for Porsche parts, so maybe the BMW isn't actually as cheap to maintain as it seems to be for me... but still, everyone saying the maintenance costs are so bad, that's really not true unless you're having it dealer maintained. If you do it all yourself its not that bad.

Something fun may not be the best way to go for your first car. Infact you probably shouldnt even get something nice. Save your money and drop a couple grand on a fwd beater thats fairly reliable and not an eyesore. Its more sensible for the winter and if you are a new driver you are far more likely to do something stupid or hit something. Think of it like a practice car.

If you arnt a first time driver and just havent owned your own car yet you can more then likely ignore what I posted and get an older Z car or an MR2 or something along those lines. The first RWD car I owned was a Pontiac Fiero and it was a blast to drive and easy to work on. For 10k you can get a decent one and drop in a better motor with money to spare.

Don't believe a word anybody says about fox-body mustangs being good cars. They are piles of ****. Every single one of them. Me and my friends all had them in high school. They all fell apart. Everything constantly broke. From running gear parts, to interior, to exterior, to trim, to suspension...you name it, it was crudely built and not durable. For instance, the bellhousings are made of cheap aluminum and strip out easily. Same with the timing cover. The only halfway decent thing about the fox body Mustang is the engine, and that's only because it's fairly tough. They don't really make good power, and they can't take much power either. The transmission is weak, the rear suspension is intentionally badly designed and they rot and flex like no other car. They are truly god awful cars. For the love of God, stay away from them!!! I've always been a Ford guy, but the Fox Bodies truly define "fix or repair daily"

Every single one of us that owned one (there was six of us) has vowed never to own one again.

Bad experiences maybe? :lol: I've got a few buddies that drive them daily, see them all over here in my area and others than race them on the dirt tracks and never have had an issue with them. I disagree with the can't take much more power in the motor. 500-600hp is PLENTY with a well built 347. The owner of the shop I'm at right now has a 302 in his Fox pushing 540 on the dyno that he uses on the track with a 2 barrel...that's right a 2 barrel. I've witnessed a live dyno of it. That's about max for a 302 before it splits down the middle or you get severe block flex. Never ever had a problem with any of the foxed. And no I'm not letting my Ford bias get in the way of this. I'm being straight up about it.

I used to see them all over, now I never see them. Because they are all either rusted away or broken down. They are terrible cars and that's the end of it.

They're not great cars, but they're far from terrible (better than the turd gen. Camaros). They're actually pretty dependable & they can make a LOT of power for not a whole lot of money.

But hey, if you don't see them, then obviously no one else does. :rolleyes:

They're not great cars, but they're far from terrible (better than the turd gen. Camaros). They're actually pretty dependable & they can make a LOT of power for not a whole lot of money.

But hey, if you don't see them, then obviously no one else does. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that's true. They are money pits just like any other car. For example, the last of my friends to get rid of his had installed a turbo kit. It made 450whp, which is pretty good. However, it constantly was blowing headgaskets and causing other problems, and that was at low boost. This was after spending $10,000 to build the motor for boost. Power costs money, it's that simple. If you've never owned one, you can't really say they are dependable.

Also, don't tell me you haven't noticed a decrease in the amount of fox bodies driving around over the past 5 years.

I suppose I should have prefaced my argument about foxbodies with a 'well my experience says...' disclaimer. Just trying to warn the kid.

Back