A.I. way too aggressive

• Thread starter capt_slow
  • 65 comments
So, reading through this golden thread, I have to ask (as always) what are people expecting from the AI? As in, what is the metric being used to measure against in terms of quality?

The AI is surprisingly more like people than many care to believe. The AI is better than mid DR B drivers and lower (sorry, but we all know it's true)
I'd say that I'd like an AI that's competent enough to race from a standing start. My biggest gripes is that I get tired of constantly having to chase them from a rolling start.

What are SP fans?

I have not experienced Sport Mode racing.
Then you are not comparing to actual humans in this game, are you?
As I said in my post that you quoted, I compare it to humans who are racing, not to humans playing bumper cars.
Do you have an example of such racing? I have never seen it and I am an avid fan of racing. Like, Goodwood happened recently, with irreplaceable cars and pro drivers, just having a good time for bragging rights, and there was a lot of bumping happening. So, I'm curious what your frame of reference is.
... we'd stop and wait for them to recover and then rejoin behind them. If you messed up someone else's race, you messed your own race up too.
Um, what? You would stop and wait? Then you are not in competition anymore. It's a nice thing to do, sure, but then it's not competition. I have never seen Max Verstappen, as an example, slow up and wait for Charles LeClerc :lol:

Again, it seem like an unrealistic frame of reference.
if you go to actual racing available to everyone for little investment, i.e. indoor karting. If you join or form a league, you'll have a group of racers who drive with respect for others
I have gone to actual events (motorcycles).

Photo of me as proof :D
25636_10150153820020032_1649765_n.jpg

I don't do it anymore because healing is a long and painful process, which brings me to the next point. There are tens of thousands of dollars are on the line, not to mention DEATH or severe injury, and yet, you'd be surprised at the lack of "etiquette"

Here's a reminder of why there is etiquette in real life (not my bike, but a result of being run off track by another rider). This was Calabogie in 2008
1923962_69947725031_5652_n.jpg

When comparing AI to humans, I'm talking about humans who race and display a racing etiquette, of which the one of the bottom line principles is try to avoid causing crashes.
I'm pretty sure the goal of racing is winning. I mean, when I've done it, my goal was winning. Avoiding contact is part of that...sometimes.
I'd say that I'd like an AI that's competent enough to race from a standing start. My biggest gripes is that I get tired of constantly having to chase them from a rolling start.
Well, that's not the AI's fault. That's the way the events have been set up. You can go to custom race and set up standing starts if you like.

I'm just saying, I think the expectations in this thread are a bit out of line with what real racers do, whether virtual or real.

Last edited:
Well, that's not the AI's fault. That's the way the events have been set up. You can go to custom race and set up standing starts if you like.
I don't think you comprehended what I said. I want AI that can operate COMPETIVELY from a standing start. I did not ask if there's an option to enable it or not, I know the answer to that.

Last edited:
Then you are not comparing to actual humans in this game, are you?

Do you have an example of such racing? I have never seen it and I am an avid fan of racing. Like, Goodwood happened recently, with irreplaceable cars and pro drivers, just having a good time for bragging rights, and there was a lot of bumping happening. So, I'm curious what your frame of reference is.

Um, what? You would stop and wait? Then you are not in competition anymore. It's a nice thing to do, sure, but then it's not competition. I have never seen Max Verstappen, as an example, slow up and wait for Charles LeClerc :lol:

Again, it seem like an unrealistic frame of reference.

I have gone to actual events (motorcycles).

Photo of me as proof :D
View attachment 1392023

I don't do it anymore because healing is a long and painful process, which brings me to the next point. There are tens of thousands of dollars are on the line, not to mention DEATH or severe injury, and yet, you'd be surprised at the lack of "etiquette"

Here's a reminder of why there is etiquette in real life (not my bike, but a result of being run off track by another rider). This was Calabogie in 2008
View attachment 1392024

I'm pretty sure the goal of racing is winning. I mean, when I've done it, my goal was winning. Avoiding contact is part of that...sometimes.

I'm just saying, I think the expectations in this thread are a bit out of line with what real racers do, whether virtual or real.
Thanks so much for the condescending post by the way. So much appreciated.

Thanks so much for the condescending post by the way. So much appreciated.
You're welcome :D
I don't think you comprehended what I said. I want AI that can operate COMPETIVELY from a standing start. I did not ask if there's an option to enable it or not, I know the answer to that.
Have you ensured that you haven't given yourself an advantage? The AI uses the TCS, stock tires, etc, etc. Put yourself on equal footing and see what happens.

Last edited:
Back