A Large Problem faced by GT5's Clutch Users.

... currently GT5 only allows 10% or so throttle when selecting a gear (it used to be 0), so we may benefit from a slight increase to that limit - 25% is probably about right.

Polyphony Digital please heed our words and make this change. The clutch model is ok- but having to lift completely off the throttle BEFORE pressing the clutch pedal at all is killing the gated-shifting experience.

This, in fact, IS a gamebreaker for those of us who want to row the gears, practice heal-toe, etc.. It's a big reason we've paid so much money for these Logitech wheels and racing rigs. All we're asking for is a VERY simple fix.

:ill:

Polyphony Digital please heed our words and make this change. The clutch model is ok- but having to lift completely off the throttle BEFORE pressing the clutch pedal at all is killing the gated-shifting experience.

This, in fact, IS a gamebreaker for those of us who want to row the gears, practice heal-toe, etc.. It's a big reason we've paid so much money for these Logitech wheels and racing rigs. All we're asking for is a VERY simple fix.

:ill:

I second that. I think PD could show a little respect to those of us who have invested a lot of money in our Gran Turismo set ups & fix this problem. Like you said, it would be very easy for them to fix. And while they're at it, give us some more options for setting up our wheels in general, being able to add some deadzone to the steering would be welcome too.

👍

I hope they can fix this cause its reaally annoying. I always get into neutral from 1st to 2nd gear in races :crazy:. And It's impossible to maintain a drift if you cant powershift.

"The real driving simulator" yeah right, thats very realistic PD. 👎

The main problem that I find is that you need the car to be at a certain speed to shift properly, you can't shift quick! Once you know your car and it's powerband, it works pretty good, not perfect but good.

It works better when you're driving and cruising, racing, forget about it! I've been on it while drifting for the past few months and can finally maintain with it, sure I'm not as fast as others (yet) but it feels good (once you re-learn how to shift!).

You talk about respect, but fail to realise that the "limitations" for H-shifting weren't always there; they were only added out of respect for the sequential users... (the fact that sequential is now totally "OP" notwithstanding).

Don't get me wrong, I want to see more options and better simulation and consequence modeling, but don't blow this out of proportion.
Like the other guy said, you can drive around it for now (except for drifting), which will come in as handy practice for when they add in drivetrain wear and tear. ;)

Side note: I haven't noticed a necessity to push the clutch in before de-selecting a gear. But then maybe I wouldn't.

OK8
Sure you can race it! In very race occasions have I noticed someone having the advantage over me just because of the clutch. Almost all of these were raced with a clutch.

I was mainly talking about typical situations, not everyone can use the clutch as well as others. There's a huge majority on here that can't shift well, or at all for that matter. I as well use it all the time but I do find myself much faster with the paddles.

Depending on the situation the clutch can be very advantageous. Main example being off the line, there is literally no way for paddle/button users to keep up with the 1st-2nd shift when they are up against a clutch user.

(given the car has a clutch, cars like the SLS will have zero advantage)

You talk about respect, but fail to realise that the "limitations" for H-shifting weren't always there; they were only added out of respect for the sequential users... (the fact that sequential is now totally "OP" notwithstanding).

Don't get me wrong, I want to see more options and better simulation and consequence modeling, but don't blow this out of proportion.
Like the other guy said, you can drive around it for now (except for drifting), which will come in as handy practice for when they add in drivetrain wear and tear. ;)

Side note: I haven't noticed a necessity to push the clutch in before de-selecting a gear. But then maybe I wouldn't.

Who says they're adding drivetrain wear? Given PD's track record I bet it doesn't come for a VERY long time. And drifting is a huge part of GT5/GTPlanet. It's not fair for these guys to me limited from non-realistic shifting that could be easily fixed.

Who says they're adding drivetrain wear? Given PD's track record I bet it doesn't come for a VERY long time. And drifting is a huge part of GT5/GTPlanet. It's not fair for these guys to me limited from non-realistic shifting that could be easily fixed.

Nobody said that. It's my subtle way of saying that flat shifting just isn't really something that is done even on the circuit, i.e. because of wear and tear. Anyway, even if it does take a VERY long time, then that's plenty of practice, right? ;)

GT5:P originally let you flat-shift, or pretty much do what you want. They added all the checks for better parity to sequential users (but, in an update for GT5, sequential shifts for small ratio differences became faster than your average human can manage on the H-pattern, so the balance has tipped the other way slightly now.) Which I already stated.

And I conceded that it's drifting that suffers for it, which is a shame, and is also why I said there should be options. The point still stands that for the majority of drivers, it's just a case of acclimatising - it's not the massive issue, or kick in the teeth (especially when these things were technically added in the name of fairness!) that some are saying it is - too much self-centred melodrama. I switch between GPL, LFS and GT5 (sometimes rFactor et al, too) a lot, though, so maybe I'm just used to having to get used to it...

Nobody said that. It's my subtle way of saying that flat shifting just isn't really something that is done even on the circuit, i.e. because of wear and tear. Anyway, even if it does take a VERY long time, then that's plenty of practice, right? ;)
I've done it in real life, friends of mine do it, and the family member that got me into racing did it as well. No problems. I know that it leaves room for mechanical issues, but if it's done in the right manor you won't need to worry about it nearly as much.

I've done it in real life, friends of mine do it, and the family member that got me into racing did it as well. No problems. I know that it leaves room for mechanical issues, but if it's done in the right manor you won't need to worry about it nearly as much.

Quite.

Latest Posts

Back