A player from Philippines was disqualified from competing at Gran Turismo World Tour 2018 Salzburg

• Thread starter PhilS1990
  • 81 comments
@Terence I know you are reading this. I was excluded from every gt academy so far because I lived in the country that is not eligible, I know it hurts and how bad it makes you feel, especially because there is nothing you can do about it (except move country) , but that doesn't mean that sharing everything in public will help your case. The problem is unfortunately much bigger and deeper and goes beyond PD's capabilities or power. Try to enjoy the game as much as you can and hopefully the opportunity will come for you in the future.

I am annoyed at PD and Kaz a bit though regarding this, because I am pretty sure they made false advertising that everyone will be able to compete in FIA champioships when they start, but I guess at that point not even them realized what are they getting into.

And I am even more annoyed that you can't easily change country/region on your PSN account if you move somewhere else, like on steam for example!!!:mad:

This is sad news indeed, Zoky. Philippines wasn't covered by Sony and not eligible to the GT SPORT FIA Live Events... Then we got issues about lost talents from countries that do covered by Sony in terms of PSN, such as Croatia, Greece, Slovenia, etcetera due to them being not eligible for a Star Player form.

That "Driving Is For Everyone" slogan is currently a big lie, at least for this year. Maybe the 2019 Series will allow more countries to be represented, and introduce special leniencies for countries that aren't covered on PSN, such as the Philippines for example, again. But I do think the three European countries that I mentioned might probably due to their competition laws, just like Italy, which is a mid-season inclusion thanks to a local championship. But for the Philippines, the government, from what I've heard, are actually supportive of their E-Sport talents, such as the subject of the news which is Mr. Lallave, leader of the LMP team.

So he entered a competition where he knew if he read the rules he isn't eligible for. And now he is upset that he cant enter. It is probably some legal thing preventing them to open the competition for other countries. Wasn't there some similar thing a few years ago with the GT academy where past finalists weren't allowed? As he already had a chance to go the the academy finals it is quite understandable that there are HK players upset that he is taking one of there spots when they havent had the chance to go to such an event.

Do you think it would be possible for him to get an adres in HK that he can use to enter? or do they really check if he lives there?

While we're on the subject of disqualifications.

FIA and WADA have a long history and since the winner of GTS will be crowned ceremoniously, there is a fair probability that FIA will follow protocol to ensure their brand is not tarnished.

It's probably safe to say that no one here has a personal doctor administering bespoke cocktails to enhance performance. However, if any of the potential finalists are using any listed banned substance, perhaps it's wise to stop. It may already be too late for some as testing can be very comprehensive and no amount of cleansing will do any good.

View attachment 763636

If you dream of the limelight, at least read/know the basic rules.
I have to say, I got a laugh out of someone called "dabz" pointing this out

But how about for countries that are willing to compete, but are not covered by PSN? This is entirely Sony's shortcoming. They have authorized retailers over here that sell legitimate products and offer warranty, but yet we're not covered by PSN. That doesn't make sense.
PSN is an added service Sony provide. Not something that comes with the console. It's a private service so they can deny access for any reason they like. Same applies to the live events which are invite only, they can cancel their invitation if they find out you haven't been truthful.

Well, if you guys from Phillipines looking for alternative Racing eSport, try iRacing. USD100k purse regardless which country you're from. Why limit to just GT Sport ?

esport.PNG

Well, if you guys from Phillipines looking for alternative Racing eSport, try iRacing. USD100k purse regardless which country you're from. Why limit to just GT Sport ?

View attachment 764773
1: I don't have money. I'm just a 17 year old high schooler that's about to head into college; a much more expensive institution that my parents are still paying for. The investment is not worth it even with the grand prize

2: I don't have a PC

3: We aren't limiting ourselves. The Philippine Sim Racing Community is now also heading not only into iRacing, but also PCARS 2 and AC. We're honestly just a minority that is focusing in GTS.

I read in Quora on why Phillipines don't have PSN is bacause the player base way too small.

If I'm a Sony officer looking to invest a local PSN server, the statistics should tally with the investments prospect.

For example, digital games sales should be at substantial amount. If the numbers are there, you'll get a local PSN server.

Unlike iRacing, they have dedicated servers for each region and that's why they are expensive, to support the server costs.

"Driving Is For Everyone" is not a lie.
Anyone can jump on the console and drive... even race the AI... even race in sport mode.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PD never said racing for FIA/World Tour championships is for everybody.
I get that rules are rules, and they have been laid out and established.
I get that some countries have laws that prohibit such activities.

On the flip side...
Player "A" has established his/her virtual racing career in "RegionX", while living in "RegionCDE".
This is a model designed by PD themselves.
Essentially, comparing real world to virtual, it is as if player "A" has packed up and moved from "RegionCDE" to "RegionX" to compete.
Done all the time in Pro, Olympic and even Sportsman class sports.
Not their nationality, but their place of "residence", therefor... compete.
So, if player "A" has competed and built their career in "RegionX"... is it not as though they do reside there... virtually?
And since PD has put in place a means to do so...

I don't know.
This is a tough one.
It blurs virtual and reality then makes a call based on reality for a virtual sport.
IMO PD should be looking for the best of the best based on where "playerX" have chosen to foster their career within the parameters the game provides.

Maybe, if they are going to have player "A" race in "RegionX", then have a playoff for the folks from "RegionCDE" for a last added spot in the eligible "RegionX".

If PD are going to allow/enable players to race in regions outside their own, they at least need to recognize those whom have succeeded in building a competitive career within PD own "virtual location".
- provided there are no conflicts with "RegionCDE" applicable laws -.

Yes, rules are rules...
Yes there are other means to build a racing career...
Yes player "A" ought to have known...

Still, in this virtual "world"... something smells...

"Driving Is For Everyone" is not a lie.
Anyone can jump on the console and drive... even race the AI... even race in sport mode.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PD never said racing for FIA/World Tour championships is for everybody.
I get that rules are rules, and they have been laid out and established.
I get that some countries have laws that prohibit such activities.

On the flip side...
Player "A" has established his/her virtual racing career in "RegionX", while living in "RegionCDE".
This is a model designed by PD themselves.
Essentially, comparing real world to virtual, it is as if player "A" has packed up and moved from "RegionCDE" to "RegionX" to compete.
Done all the time in Pro, Olympic and even Sportsman class sports.
Not their nationality, but their place of "residence", therefor... compete.
So, if player "A" has competed and built their career in "RegionX"... is it not as though they do reside there... virtually?
And since PD has put in place a means to do so...

I don't know.
This is a tough one.
It blurs virtual and reality then makes a call based on reality for a virtual sport.
IMO PD should be looking for the best of the best based on where "playerX" have chosen to foster their career within the parameters the game provides.

Maybe, if they are going to have player "A" race in "RegionX", then have a playoff for the folks from "RegionCDE" for a last added spot in the eligible "RegionX".

If PD are going to allow/enable players to race in regions outside their own, they at least need to recognize those whom have succeeded in building a competitive career within PD own "virtual location".
- provided there are no conflicts with "RegionCDE" applicable laws -.

Yes, rules are rules...
Yes there are other means to build a racing career...
Yes player "A" ought to have known...

Still, in this virtual "world"... something smells...

This is not new. They've struggled with this in "real" sport for decades. Each sport has its own rules around how a player becomes elibigle for national selection.

In my opinion, for GT Sport or games in general, nationality would be wrong but residence isn't much better. Just because you're currently residing somewhere doesn't mean you necessarily want to fly their flag. Or, from the other point of view just because you have X nationality doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to represent country Y that you've resided in for Z years.

I believe motorsport allows drivers to choose their flag if they have more than one possibility. And why stop players choosing something like the "olympic flag"?

If they're serious about making it a sport they should start treating it like one.

I don't see why they don't have an unaffiliated flag for drivers who aren't from eligible countries, then they can compete for that spot legitimately. There could be some really fast drivers in rural Mongolia, Atlantis, the International Space Station etc.

I don't see why they don't have an unaffiliated flag for drivers who aren't from eligible countries, then they can compete for that spot legitimately. There could be some really fast drivers in rural Mongolia, Atlantis, the International Space Station etc.
Dont forget Antartica.

So this made it into the news

Sigh.

I was hoping it'll just stay in our own little team. But pretty much, yes. To be fair, the Philippines has never been specified as an eligible country for the World Finals, regardless of whether or not a Philippine region PSN is available, however unjust that may be. Our country has since been put on request to be on the list for next year, but that's all we have pretty much lol

Hey Mr. Cipher, are you from the Philippines? I thought pool was the game of choice there not GTS???

Just want to say to @Alpha Cipher that, I find this disappointing as I respect and value drivers with talent from any country being able stand on a global stage and compete.

While I currently don't reside but am from Hong Kong, I do find the reaction from Hong Kong players to be rather disheartening upon reading this. I also didn't know of this until I read this thread. I do still wish your friend the best in racing, wherever he goes or continues on Gran Turismo. 👍

Just want to say to @Alpha Cipher that, I find this disappointing as I respect and value drivers with talent from any country being able stand on a global stage and compete.

While I currently don't reside but am from Hong Kong, I do find the reaction from Hong Kong players to be rather disheartening upon reading this. I also didn't know of this until I read this thread. I do still wish your friend the best in racing, wherever he goes or continues on Gran Turismo. 👍
Thank you for the kind words, both for me and Terence. We really appreciate it :D

Back