• ABS Weak

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • ABD Default

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
So, I am in a bit of a confusion at the moment, since the 1.52 update. Something changed with the braking. I was on ABS Default. ON a whim, I switched to ABS weak.

I found that I can be more consistent in my laps times with ABS weak, and out of the box I am faster with ABS Weak. Also. in Sport Mode races, I am consistently faster with ABS weak.

However, I have set my fastest lap (one off) with default (not consistently). So, this could be a fluke.

So, I am wondering what everyone else is experiencing. Are you setting faster times with default or weak. Give it a try and let me know. I think the community will find this valuable.

So, I am in a bit of a confusion at the moment, since the 1.52 update. Something changed with the braking. I was on ABS Default. ON a whim, I switched to ABS weak.

I found that I can be more consistent in my laps times with ABS weak, and out of the box I am faster with ABS Weak. Also. in Sport Mode races, I am consistently faster with ABS weak.

However, I have set my fastest lap (one off) with default (not consistently). So, this could be a fluke.

So, I am wondering what everyone else is experiencing. Are you setting faster times with default or weak. Give it a try and let me know. I think the community will find this valuable.
My personal experience is that it depends on the car and tires.
YMMV

Weak if youre on a wheel

If weak helps with consistency then stick with it. Consistency is more important in racing than fastest lap

Last edited:
You have to remember the difference is in how aggressive the ABS will trigger (how much slip you are producing)

You can brake the exact same with either system, what default lets you do is have more rotation input but at the cost of a little understeer at the extreme end of braking inputs (instantly hard, aggressive turning while braking etc)

Weak lets the wheels rotate more so less caliper grabbing and when used with good braking technique gives you better control and potentially better stopping distances the flip side is that too much speed and braking too hard for long periods defeats the purpose of weak which is the step to no ABS which is usually quicker on track (race car systems are the exception here)

Mostly with car and track knowledge your braking technique will get better and smoother so will trigger ABS less in general so the differences become marginal.

In all reality the top end guys who can be super consistent can choose one or the other that makes a difference to them significantly but for me I just can't be that consistent enough to tell if it was the system setting or a better line, better braking application or better throttle exit that makes the difference in my times.

Edit: to add if you look at my lap in the Porsche earlier this week at T1 my braking is not constant but more initially hard, ease, pump again (like cadence braking) this let's me brake a fraction earlier but allow my momentum to come down in phases rather than just like a switch that only goes on once and then swaps to full acceleration.

I try to smooth the transition, sometimes trail braking but it's not the best technique for every corner.

Edit 2:

Been giving this some more thought and I am starting to think the audio feedback is the biggest change to braking, I'm hearing much more where my tires are locking with ABS and adjusting accordingly my pressure.

There might be differences behind the scenes on the speed/aggressiveness of the system calliper grabbing but I think it's the audio feedback that is changing my inputs not the system doing its thing. The audio feedback is letting me know more about what the front wheels are doing and I can start to brake in ways where I'm reducing the lock ups

Last edited:
Back