Abuse through PSN

• Thread starter Roggers
  • 75 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
rodgers1
Did daily race C today and on the final lap me and another car were running very close. For the last 3/4 laps we had been racing hard swapping positions, and both overtaking cleaning. On the third to last corner the first of the two left hand corners, the car ahead seemed to lift off mid corner and due to the fact I was literally on the back bumper of there car I couldn’t react quick enough and ended up tapping the rear of the car and they spun out. It wasn’t a hard tap nor was it a malicious attempt at an overtake it was error and a mistake from me. In the after game chat I had apologised but they already quit the lobby to see the message. Anyway 30 seconds later I get a PSN message from this driver making rude gestures about my mother. I didn’t respond back to these request as it’s just completely inappropriate and rather I reported them to Sony.
Not sure if this was the right approach to have reported them or not. I could have explained to this person in PSN chat what happened on the track but the fact they opened with inappropriate chat I thought it was better to just let Sony deal with them.

I think reporting them is a bit.. much?

Read it, laugh at it, get over it and move on. Were you not there during the Xbox 360 Call of Duty era? That was top banter.
Do you know what I did laugh at it first because I just thought it was funny, but then I thought a little ban might have been better. I know it might have been petty from me but still..

Nope, never had as Xbox as always thought they were crap!

You did the right thing. @Roggers. You could just turn off your messages and set it to Friends Only, or just 'ignore' them by not responding and still report them.
It's also against the PlayStation Network Terms of Services, as it should be, obviously.

1. Code of Conduct
13.1. You and your Child Family Members must follow our Code of Conduct in all dealings with us and other members of the PSN community.
  • Be inclusive
    PSN is for everyone over 7, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, nationality, colour, immigration status, social and economic class, educational level, size, family status, political belief, religion, and mental and physical ability or any other attribute that people use to label others or divide communities.
○ Do not use or promote hate speech.
○ Do not
threaten, harm, or alarm anyone.
○ Do not bully, harass or stalk anyone.

• Be sensible. Obey the law.
○ Do not be vulgar or offensive.
○ Do not encourage anyone to hurt themselves or someone else.
○ Do not threaten, condone, perform or promote any illegal acts.
○ Do not impersonate anyone else.
○ Do not infringe anyone’s privacy or defame them.
○ Do not infringe anyone’s intellectual property.

Seriously though, 98% of the time I have found that strangers never have anything useful to say in a PSN message. That’s why I restricted messages to “friends only” years ago.
Ditto. Ain't noboy got time to read that type of nonsense. If someone gets so bent out of shape they want to send you hate mail about your mom through your PS, just think how angry they'll be when they realize they can't. :)

ETA - Don't disagree with the reporting.

Last edited:
I never really bothered to report people for this sort of thing and it happened all the time back when I used to play FIFA but that inaction has just led to some people saying whatever they like to whomever they like all over social media, including the PSN.

We should have all got tougher against this hate right at the start of the growth of online and reported every hateful comment, even though it does feel petty maybe by now they'd be less nonsense spouted, doubtful maybe but who knows.

You did the right thing by not answering them and just reporting them, if they are sending abuse I doubt you could have a reasonable chat with them. You won't be the only person they send this sort of messages too. A ban may work, especially if they are young and maybe it'll stop them sending this junk in future.

:gtplanet::cheers:

Did daily race C today and on the final lap me and another car were running very close. For the last 3/4 laps we had been racing hard swapping positions, and both overtaking cleaning. On the third to last corner the first of the two left hand corners, the car ahead seemed to lift off mid corner and due to the fact I was literally on the back bumper of there car I couldn’t react quick enough and ended up tapping the rear of the car and they spun out. It wasn’t a hard tap nor was it a malicious attempt at an overtake it was error and a mistake from me. In the after game chat I had apologised but they already quit the lobby to see the message. Anyway 30 seconds later I get a PSN message from this driver making rude gestures about my mother. I didn’t respond back to these request as it’s just completely inappropriate and rather I reported them to Sony.
Not sure if this was the right approach to have reported them or not. I could have explained to this person in PSN chat what happened on the track but the fact they opened with inappropriate chat I thought it was better to just let Sony deal with them.
I wouldn’t think anything of it. They agreed to the code of conduct in order to use the service, if they didn’t read it or feel it doesn’t apply to them, that’s their problem. Rules are rules and maybe, just maybe they’ll learn a lesson.

Absolutely the right thing to do - I had to do it once for some filthy abusive stuff, and the guy got banned.

Seriously though, 98% of the time I have found that strangers never have anything useful to say in a PSN message. That’s why I restricted messages to “friends only” years ago.
I think that setting kinda sucks to be honest. There have been instances where I’ve been unhappy with someone’s driving and it’s perfectly possible to send a critical message/questions without being a moron. Sometimes I’ve even made friendships through such situations.

At one point I wanted to apologise for a mistake on my part but his settings were restricted so it wasn’t possible.

People would get PTSD from modern warfare lobbies these days.
I think this is part of a global problem.

This is exactly the defence that was all over twitter about Jüri Vips.
"It's not a big deal - this is normal language/behaviour for COD"

It isn't acceptable - I no longer play GTA/COD and all of the other games where you cannot mute players in one go because I'm fed up of having the racist and misogynistic language in my living room

I think that setting kinda sucks to be honest. There have been instances where I’ve been unhappy with someone’s driving and it’s perfectly possible to send a critical message/questions without being a moron. Sometimes I’ve even made friendships through such situations.

At one point I wanted to apologise for a mistake on my part but his settings were restricted so it wasn’t possible.
Each to his own. I just think it was worth a suggestion to the person who got triggered to post a thread.

I think this is part of a global problem.

This is exactly the defence that was all over twitter about Jüri Vips.
"It's not a big deal - this is normal language/behaviour for COD"

It isn't acceptable - I no longer play GTA/COD and all of the other games where you cannot mute players in one go because I'm fed up of having the racist and misogynistic language in my living room
You can mute the entire lobby with one button in call of duty.

To each their own, I guess.

I've never reported anyone for anything online, ever. But I also grew up in an era where phrases like "Stick and stones can break my bones..." and "offense is taken, not given" were the order of the day. We used to get scolded for being a tattle tale by teachers, lol. So my line for speech being actually offensive is very far down the road and short of legit threats/incitement, it's all on the table and protected in my book (and by our First Amendment) But I'm also hardcore pro-free speech, and that 100% includes speech I don't like.

Last edited:
The First Amendment doesn't apply to messages sent through a private service.
Never said it did. As per the law it only actually applies to the government silencing speech. But I completely live by the spirit of the First Amendment and there's is very little that someone could do or say that would get me to report someone, private platform or not.

Last edited:
Never said it did.
it's all on the table and protected in my book (and by our First Amendment)
It's not protected by the First Amendment, because it's sent theough a private service and the private service can censure you for it. Whether you're okay with it or not, it's not protected by the First Amendment.

Last edited:
It's not protected by the First Amendment, because it's sent theough a private service and the private service can censure you for it. Whether you're okay with it or not, it's not protected by the First Amendment.
Protected meaning legal punishment, not a time-out on Twitter.

And yes, the First Amendment WOULD protect myself or any other American (or anyone on American soil, citizen or no) from any sort of judicial prosecution for untoward speech with the exception of a very narrow window of legitimate threats of violence or incitement to violence, it just doesn't prevent a platform from banning the individual. Unlike the UK, we don't have the police show up at our homes because of mean tweets or hip-hop lyrics being posted... But we can still be banned from private platforms (though I believe that will be changing in the near future on any platform deemed to be "the public square" for companies based in the US, as Section 230 reform is becoming more and more popular as a political talking-point, though that is irrelevant to the discussion so I digress.)

Protected meaning legal punishment, not a time-out on Twitter.

And yes, the First Amendment WOULD protect myself or any other American (or anyone on American soil, citizen or no) from any sort of judicial prosecution for untoward speech with the exception of a very narrow window of legitimate threats of violence or incitement to violence, it just doesn't prevent a platform from banning the individual. Unlike the UK, we don't have the police show up at our homes because of mean tweets or hip-hop lyrics being posted... But we can still be banned from private platforms (though I believe that will be changing in the near future on any platform deemed to be "the public square" for companies based in the US, as Section 230 reform is becoming more and more popular as a political talking-point, though that is irrelevant to the discussion so I digress.)
While we're having a law lesson...
The UK police won't turn up at the door just because your tweet is mean https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1

Protected meaning legal punishment
Nope.

You cannot be censured by government for speaking in public; this is the protection that 1A gives you. You can be censured by private services for speaking using those services; this is not a protection that 1A gives you.

Calling someone a ** on PSN - or on GTPlanet - is not "protected... by our First Amendment". You can and will face punishment from the service, precisely because it is not protected under 1A. Calling someone a ** in the street is protected by 1A and you cannot and will not face any punishment from the government, precisely because it is.

Although you are not protected from the consequences of doing so by 1A either.

Last edited:
I dunno, you felt bad and they left the lobby before you could apologize. So he/she was right to be pissed and vent. I would’ve taken that opportunity to actually apologize. Then, if he/she continues to be abusive, report them.

First I would have tried to tell him it was a mistake
If he insisted --> report.

I ALWAYS report bad behavior over text. Oh the satisfaction when you receive that PSN message saying they took action against the player.

Last edited:
Back