America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,715 comments
Pandering to his base while simultaneously exploiting what he presumably believes is their inability to think critically...which isn't to say he's wrong, it's just an odd combination.

No, actually knowing that one of the two candidates WILL win the election as a voter it is in your best interest to vote for the candidate and party who's beliefs are the closest to your own even if they are not exactly aligned. One of those two candidates will end up in the White House and I will attempt to get the best option to fill that position.
Myself I have never actually seen a 3rd party candidate that I felt what they represented was superior and actually had a chance of working in this country.
According to near every 2016 election poll, everyone knew only one candidate was going to win with everything from a 70-95% chance of succeeding. Trump might as well have been running as an Independent himself.
https://www.thewrap.com/every-poll-that-got-election-wrong-donald-trump/

The missed fact is every time a person decides to vote for a 3rd party, that's a vote both the Democrats & Republicans lose and narrows the gap. Acting as if a 3rd party doesn't have a chance in hell so there's no point in actually voting for them completely undermines the entire point of voting for them in the first place. If you never vote for them, they will always, always lose. But if you vote for them, their odds of winning actually amount to a percentage above 0%.

To quote an old phrase: You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I think both major parties are corrupt and their candidates unfit. So I have voted for 3rd parties ever since Ross Perot's first run. I am sincerely proud to tell you I have never lost a night's sleep over my decisions, and that is more important to me than anything else to be gained through voting.

Last edited:
Pandering to his base while simultaneously exploiting what he presumably believes is their inability to think critically...which isn't to say he's wrong, it's just an odd combination.
He should pander to his base in the US instead of his base in Israel.

He should pander to his base in the US instead of his base in Israel.

AFAIK, every other president has been pro-Israel too. Trump just has a "peculiar" way to make that point accross. I would also suggest more peolpe now than before criticize (some rationally but a lot of them irrationally) Israel and the jewish community - we could say identity politics has gained a lot of ground and being pro-muslim and anti-west, regardless of individual policies and specific actions is pretty much common nowadays.

Therefore, I'm not surprised Trump pushes this button more often. He gains votes with identity politics too. It's easy to play that game. Stupid, but easy.

AFAIK, every other president has been pro-Israel too. Trump just has a "peculiar" way to make that point accross. I would also suggest more peolpe now than before criticize (some rationally but a lot of them irrationally) Israel and the jewish community - we could say identity politics has gained a lot of ground and being pro-muslim and anti-west, regardless of individual policies and specific actions is pretty much common nowadays.

Therefore, I'm not surprised Trump pushes this button more often. He gains votes with identity politics too. It's easy to play that game. Stupid, but easy.
He's just painting criticism of the country's diplomatic and financial relationship with Israel as anti-Semitic; bonus, he gets to attack the left in the process. And his base eats it up.

He's just painting criticism of the country's diplomatic and financial relationship with Israel as anti-Semitic; bonus, he gets to attack the left in the process. And his base eats it up.

Yeah. He's on Twitter afterall. He has to make the most mess/impact with the least amount of characters possible. :D

What's her name was granted a pass to see her grandmother in Israel but turned it down, or so I heard. Political Hogwash...

At least be respectfull man. Being critical of someone or a country does not equal "hating" someone. Rhetoric like that puts lives in danger.

At least be respectfull man. Being critical of someone or a country does not equal "hating" someone. Rhetoric like that puts lives in danger.
I'm pretty sure I know the steps you've taken to get there, but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

I was referring to the Trump tweet and not what Ryzno posted. Sorry if I wasnt clear.
I was as well. Hateful rhetoric isn't in and of itself incitement to violence. Because of that, getting from one to the other requires a significant leap.

I was as well. Hateful rhetoric isn't in and of itself incitement to violence. Because of that, getting from one to the other requires a significant leap.

Not really its a thin line. You just need one crazy person that takes the rhetoric too litteral. It makes a difference if you and I say it or the POTUS.

A little bit of a double standard there.
Equating criticism of Israel, and the United States' relationship with Israel*, to anti-Semitism is the exact opposite of being critical.

*Edit to add.

Yeah, "not in and of itself".

Yes. Ideally from the beginning, but at the very least in a subsequent response and instead of doubling down.

You are correct, but I presume now that you understood what I was trying to state (rhetoric could potentially spark violence).
I doubled down, because I thought you did not understand what I was referring to.

edit: correction

You are correct, but I presume now that you understood what I was trying to state (rhetoric could potentially spark violence).
It still relies on so many loosely linked hypotheticals that I question the merit of such a remark.

"The birth of a single child could bring about the end of the world."

It still relies on so many loosely linked hypotheticals that I question the merit of such a remark.

"The birth of a single child could bring about the end of the world."

I get your remark, but in my opinion it isnt comparable when the president of a country is saying a certain group of individuals and called out by name, hate israel and are anti semetic.

edit: to add to your example, it would require someone with influence singling out that single child. To make it somewhat comparable.

I get your remark, but in my opinion it isnt comparable when the president of a country is saying a certain group of individuals and called out by name, hate israel and are anti semetic.

edit: to add to your example, it would require someone with influence singling out that single child. To make it somewhat comparable.
It requires a lot of things to come to either conclusion. Violent actions are dependant on more than hate.

It requires a lot of things to come to either conclusion. Violent actions are dependant on more than hate.

Correct. Yet a person of influence should not single out individuals with a message of hate and when something does happen, expect they did not have any hand in it at all. Or am I wrong?

Back