America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,715 comments
Trump's not fascist, he's free market. Free market is where your leader tries to dictate what the market is supposed to do right?

The market is totally free to make decisions.*

*Free decisions subject to review by Supreme Leader Trump.

I don't like that he's screwing around with the market, which in turn screws up the stock market(just a bit more). I wonder if he has any short seller friends making money from this.

I don't like that he's screwing around with the market, which in turn screws up the stock market(just a bit more). I wonder if he has any short seller friends making money from this.

Well he didn't even make token efforts to divest himself, so its plausible he is shorting the market.

It is pretty clear to me that Trump is completely losing it. I try to stay objective to keep a grip on reality, so I think my assessment is pretty sober: The man is deranged, and increasingly so. He needs to be removed before he becomes actually dangerous.

Last edited:
GOP you still out there? Anyone? Anyone there?
Heh.

This certainly isn't nothing, but all the attention it's getting makes me wonder what Trump's up to behind the curtain while everyone is so focused on the sequined assistant with big tits at the front of the stage.

Something like a "WhatELSEisTrumpDoing.com" could be a valuable resource; ignoring the showy stuff that's likely meant to be a distraction and instead covering the stuff that's supposed to go unnoticed.

I heard that a certain ****tard of a politician in Brazil will dance* for the right amount of money.

*if he can't find the space to dance, he will burn down the forest to make some room.

Like I said in another thread, this is the price when your country is lured to elect a far-right foolishness.

You could have at least looked beyond the thread title he linked to.

Has it occurred to you that the way I knew you couldn't have clicked on it was by clicking on it myself?

You could at least have put some tiny bit of thought into it before you assumed I hadn't looked.

Has it occurred to you that the way I knew you couldn't have clicked on it was by clicking on it myself?

You could at least have put some tiny bit of thought into it before you assumed I hadn't looked.
“I knew you couldn’t have”. Well you are 100% wrong because I did check the link before responding. Or is this another quote I’m fabricating?
You start off by making assumptions about me, double down on it and now cry when I make an assumption about you?

My assumption wasn’t that you didn’t look. My assumption was that you looked beyond a title.

What happened to the "checks & balances"? There's a moron in charge of US policy & nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

Trump would actually need to follow the Constitution. Since he doesn't, I'm guessing he doesn't care about checks & balances and his cronies have their heads so far up their behinds, they don't care either.

My worry is the something is going to have to Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Trump is going to be able to appoint another Supreme Court Justice that subscribes to his brand of Constitutional Law.

Trump would actually need to follow the Constitution. Since he doesn't, I'm guessing he doesn't care about checks & balances and his cronies have their heads so far up their behinds, they don't care either.

My worry is the something is going to have to Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Trump is going to be able to appoint another Supreme Court Justice that subscribes to his brand of Constitutional Law.
This sounds like the very definition of "being the swamp".

I think the more deranged the Mango Mussolini's public pronouncements get, the harder it gets for his followers to claim his detractors are deranged with TDS.

I'm not sure those followers have the strongest grip on reality themselves though. One particular poster on this forum seems to hold beliefs which are sufficiently racist as to make Roseanne Barr look like Martin Luther King by comparison.

Those MAGA hat-wearing left leaning authoritarians... they move into a thread and suddenly it all goes to hell.

Last edited:
What happened to the "checks & balances"? There's a moron in charge of US policy & nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

I'm not sure if you're referring to @Eunos_Cosmo 's post about Trump's proposed increases to the tariffs on Chinese made products (possible raise from 25% to 30%), or just Trump's borderline to outright brazen attempts to thwart the constitution in general. But I assume you're referring to the former.

It is actually up to Congress to decide on what, if any, tariffs to levy on foreign made goods. However, certain regulatory powers were handed over to the President, under section 301 of the trade act of 1974, which gives the President power to act if it's in the "interest of national security".

I think one could make an argument that tariffs on Chinese goods are sort of, kind of, in the US's national interest. On a VERY broad and implied scale. But specifically, it's walking a very thin tightrope. And one that Trump would likely lose if we didn't have such a partisan government and if the Republicans didn't have the majority. It's the same reason why there hasn't been a serious effort to impeach him. Usually, an increase in tariffs on a particular product, from a particular country, is brought about by American companies manufacturing a similar product and complaining about unfair competition with foreign made products. But many of the products the Trump administration targeted from China aren't even manufactured in the US anymore. Or never were. Essentially, a congressional regulatory power designed to protect US industry has been weaponized by the executive branch in an attempt to force a large scale economic change unlikely to happen for a multitude or reasons. Not a particularly traditional Republican idea.

Most government officials, regardless of party affiliation or individual philosophy, would agree that China employs a multitude of unfair business practices, manipulations, intellectual property theft, etc., that would not be tolerated in most Western democracies. And most would love to put a stop to it. I think the Obama administration was attempting to combat some of them with a unilateral effort under the Trans Pacific Trade Partnership. So Trump is not necessarily wrong with his accusations. But it's unlikely his ham-fisted and draconian efforts will succeed in any substantial way and they are more than likely the catalyst leading us into a recession in the short to mid term.

Yes, something should have been done about China two decades ago. (He's also not wrong there). But the man is trying to close a barn door after all the horses have long since escaped. I think it shows the lack of depth both he, his advisors and his over-all administration possess on trade and a great many other subjects.

Last edited:
"Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China"

(emphasis mine, the absurdity is off the charts)

So much for free market capitalism. GOP you still out there? Anyone? Anyone there?
So Trump has ordered American companies to stop doing business in China. And now declared Xi an enemy, together with FED chairman Powell. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/23/bad-sign-for-trade-talks-trump-calls-china-president-xi-enemy.html

My working assumption is that the trade war has deepened, taken on anaerobic intensity and will shortly be in proper crisis, with the survival of the Xi regime and current Chinese economy at stake, as well as that of Trump and the current US economy. The boys are now playing with their bigger marbles. If we were prone to worry, now would be the time.

Things are going to change.
"Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned with that now."
- Martin Luther King Jr.​

Last edited:

It shouldn't be about what Tump cares about ... or his "cronies". It's about a system that is supposed to limit the power of the executive branch. Republicans appear to have abandoned any pretence of "conservative principles" & are just going along for the ride. Policy is coming out of the head of a vain, narcissistic man who can't be bothered to think deeply about the wider implications of his decisions & is under the delusion that trade wars - in fact, that everything about governing is "easy" for a "stable genius".

This is not going to end well.

Latest Posts

Back