America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
ae5eZdb_460s.jpg

And yes, it's real.

Seriously, Trump is the one political figure it is impossible to create obvious satire of.

I've told you all already, he's a post-modern art installation. When the artist is revealed at the end of Trump's term the whole lot of you owe me a pint. Each.

Vladimir Putin is many things, but we can all definitely agree that he is definitely a remarkable artist. Definitely.

Please don't shoot my family Mr. Putin.

It is looking increasingly unlikely, though still possible, that he can be indicted and tried in state and local court while still in office. That means the gripping TV reality show spectacle of impeachment is the only option. There should be no waiting for the voters. This is going to be so much fun I can hardly wait!
Don't get your hopes up.

Remember how Clinton was impeached? The Starr report came out, detailing the crimes Clinton had committed. Then the House Judiciary committee voted to impeach, then the full house voted.

Here you have nothing more than a decree by Speaker Pelosi. That's not how any of this works. They can call it whatever they want, but whatever this is, it is not impeachment.

Seriously, Trump is the one political figure it is impossible to create obvious satire of.

At this point, it's not even funny anymore, it's just beyond frustrating.

It's also worrying because, in my somewhat-paranoia driven mind, I could see some members of the Turkish government viewing that as a threat towards war.

Edit: Reading up on some of the intricacies of us helping the Kurds, all I have to say is, Jesus Christ, all those poor people. We helped them fight a common enemy that's been terrorizing much of the world, and this is how we repay them? An absolute shame.

Last edited:
Here you have nothing more than a decree by Speaker Pelosi. That's not how any of this works. They can call it whatever they want, but whatever this is, it is not impeachment.

Pelosi didn't decree the president impeached. Last I checked the House appears to have the numbers to successfully impeach.

Pelosi didn't decree the president impeached.
She took it upon herself to open this "impeachment inquiry", or whatever the hell it is. In the Clinton case the Judiciary Committee voted. That gave them, and the White House subpoena power.

Nothing in law has changed from a month ago until today, even with Nancy's proclamation. This whole thing is just a bunch of BS. It is a circus to placate the lefty loons.

Last I checked the House appears to have the numbers to successfully impeach.
Then let them vote.

She took it upon herself to open this "impeachment inquiry", or whatever the hell it is. In the Clinton case the Judiciary Committee voted. That gave them, and the White House subpoena power.

Nothing in law has changed from a month ago until today, even with Nancy's proclamation. This whole thing is just a bunch of BS. It is a circus to placate the lefty loons.

Then let them vote.
I suppose they could vote to impeach without having an investigation, a charge, or a vote out of committee. But I doubt it. Even so, I think they are in a corner-cutting, fast-track mode to have this over and done with by the time campaigning and primary season commences.

I suppose they could vote to impeach without having an investigation, a charge, or a vote out of committee. But I doubt it. Even so, I think they are in a corner-cutting, fast-track mode to have this over and done with by the time campaigning and primary season commences.
But they haven't even voted to hold a hearing.

You guys that think something is actually happening, nothing is happening. This is a perfect example of fake news.

Last edited:
But they haven't even voted to hold a hearing.

You guys that think something is actually happening, this is a perfect example of fake news.
Hasn't Congress been in recess for the last two weeks? Of course they can't do anything right now.

Edit: Reading up on some of the intricacies of us helping the Kurds, all I have to say is, Jesus Christ, all those poor people. We helped them fight a common enemy that's been terrorizing much of the world, and this is how we repay them? An absolute shame.

And some/many of them will try to bring their families on the expensive, dangerous trip to safer lands in Europe, then the European inhabitants will look down at them and wonder why they're coming here to Take Our Jobs. It's a proper tragedy.

Another issue is the large number of D'aesh prisoners held in Kurdish facilities. What happens to them? Will the Turkish forces take over their detention? Will terrorist fighters escape back into the power vacuum of northern Syria? Impossible to say but it seems to be the sort of tremendous oversight that can only come from creating foreign policy on the lavatory at three in the morning.

A good example of biting the hand that feeds you.

The World’s Wokest Sports League Bows to China

The N.B.A. apologizes on behalf of Daryl Morey, a general manager who voiced support for democracy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/opinion/nba-china-hong-kong.html

China TV drops NBA exhibition games, escalating pressure amid tweet uproar
by Reuters
Tuesday, 8 October 2019 10:40 GMT

* CCTV says it won't air NBA exhibition games in China this week

* NBA under pressure after GM tweet supporting Hong Kong protests (Updates with comment from Silver, Chinese ministry)
http://news.trust.org/item/20191008082619-6v5xu

It's pretty much a variation of what the US did with Iran. Many european companies wouldn't be able to deal with the repercussions of being excluded by the USA. Case in point: Ze Gerrmans

International relations, be it politics and/or trade, require clout. Once you have it, you use it.

It's pretty much a variation of what the US did with Iran. Many european companies wouldn't be able to deal with the repercussions of being excluded by the USA. Case in point: Ze Gerrmans

International relations, be it politics and/or trade, require clout. Once you have it, you use it.

Some would say it's wrong to use clout in politics, trade or international relations. @Danoff might prefer principle.

Last edited:
I'd love to share "Clout"-By: Offset ft. Cardi B. But I can't find a PG version...

She took it upon herself to open this "impeachment inquiry", or whatever the hell it is.

She's the Speaker of the House...? She didn't take anything "upon herself," she carried out her duty to initiate a congressional proceeding.

In the Clinton case the Judiciary Committee voted. That gave them, and the White House subpoena power.

You really think that the then-speaker didn't do the same thing? You think the first news the American public heard of the impeachment inquiry against Clinton was the result of the final vote?

Clinton was impeached on December 19th, 1999. A quick search of the New York Times archives from the month of November shows all kinds of news and updates about the ongoing impeachment inquiry.

Looks to me like it was announced then just as it was now.

So, what exactly is your objection?

She's the Speaker of the House...? She didn't take anything "upon herself," she carried out her duty to initiate a congressional proceeding.

You really think that the then-speaker didn't do the same thing? You think the first news the American public heard of the impeachment inquiry against Clinton was the result of the final vote?

Clinton was impeached on December 19th, 1999. A quick search of the New York Times archives from the month of November shows all kinds of news and updates about the ongoing impeachment inquiry.

Looks to me like it was announced then just as it was now.

So, what exactly is your objection?

From The Guardian:

September 9, 1998
Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr releases his report to Congress. It has 11 possible grounds for impeachment. The House votes to make the 445-page report public.

September 11, 1998
Congress makes the report public.

October 5, 1998
The House Judiciary Committee votes to launch a congressional impeachment inquiry against President Clinton.

October 8, 1998
The House of Representatives vote for impeachment proceedings to begin against Clinton. The House judiciary committee will be given wide powers to draw up detailed charges against Mr Clinton, based on 11 allegations by the independent counsel Kenneth Starr in his report on the Monica Lewinsky affair.

October 14, 1998
The House judiciary committee chairman Henry Hyde announces the impeachment inquiry will concentrate its focus on two core charges: that Mr Clinton lied under oath and attempted to obstruct justice.

By the time the Judiciary committee voted for the impeachment inquiry, there had been a DNA test (blue dress), and Clinton had already confessed to the American people to the Lewinski affair.

The impeachment inquiry didn't start with a declaration from the speaker of the house.

Now the White House is refusing to participate in the scam.

Let the members of the house that are pushing for impeachment cast their vote so their constituents know who they are.

Ah, not sure how I missed that. :lol:

Still, seems like a rather...brave move. Since The House controls the impeachment process, the White House is (as far as I can tell) actually committing obstruction, which is itself an impeachable offense.

Back