America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
gettyimages-2167484298-66c4a6662e2c5.jpg

Last edited:
America's meat industry's survival challenged by Republicans.
Donald Trump claims Democrats will open U.S. borders to mass immigration, but his proposed policies could seriously threaten American industries, particularly meatpacking, which relies heavily on immigrant labor. Trump’s allies plan to revive aggressive immigration policies like 1954’s Operation Wetback, aiming to deport millions, including those under humanitarian protections.

The meatpacking industry, already facing labor shortages, depends on foreign-born workers who perform difficult, low-wage jobs. Following a 2006 immigration raid that removed undocumented workers, companies like Swift & Company turned to refugees and legal immigrants to fill positions. This shift helped avert disaster, but the workforce remains totally dependent on immigrant labor.

Trump’s proposed mass deportations would eliminate a critical labor source overnight, potentially halting production across the nation's entire meat supply chain. This could lead to shortages, price spikes, and economic devastation for small towns reliant on meatpacking plants. The plan would require unprecedented coordination among federal and local authorities, using resources like military personnel and local police to conduct large-scale raids, risking further disruption.

While Trump argues these policies protect American jobs, they risk dismantling a vital industry, leading to food shortages and economic collapse in towns dependent on these factories, revealing the true cost of his immigration crackdown.

A disruption in the meatpacking industry due to mass deportations would create a ripple effect throughout the broader economy. Immediate impacts would include shortages of beef, pork, and poultry, leading to increased prices for consumers and strain on food supply chains. Farmers and livestock producers would face financial losses due to reduced demand and the forced culling of animals. Small towns dependent on meatpacking plants will suffer economic collapse, with lost jobs, reduced local tax revenue, and closures of supporting businesses. The food service, retail, and logistics sectors would also feel the strain, driving up inflation and affecting consumer spending and economic stability nationwide.

A deeper dive is at this LINK

That's just not how you answer that question. I get the notion that you don't want to go through a 12 point plan with details and provisions and funding, but you can at least give some kind of boilerplate "we should never let this happen again" and "we're going to do everything we can to prevent..." and all that. It has such a straightforward response.

Ah yes, thoughts and prayers to the law enforcement who should be trained on how to do this well before the educators, who are definitely not trained to handle this.

At least they went in and stopped the suspect as opposed to Uvalde. :rolleyes:

Russia paying propagandists to influence the US election again... You know what Russia? I think we should fund Ukraine even harder now.
Not exactly subtle.

As an aside, how does one seek out this rat bitch for its content with any kind of frequency? I mean I gather it validates your worldview, and that's a powerful drug, but there have to be other sources that aren't so grating. How broken are you that you're a regular viewer?

Good, it was the right move with the Oxford shooter and it's the right move here too. As a parent, you're responsible for your kid, and you sure as hell don't buy your 14-year-old an AR-15. Buying them a .22 hunting or target rifle? Sure. Or a hunting or trap shotgun? Sure. But an AR-15? The hell is a kid going to do with that? But Georgia has terrible gun laws that don't take any nuance into account.

Good, it was the right move with the Oxford shooter and it's the right move here too. As a parent, you're responsible for your kid, and you sure as hell don't buy your 14-year-old an AR-15. Buying them a .22 hunting or target rifle? Sure. Or a hunting or trap shotgun? Sure. But an AR-15? The hell is a kid going to do with that? But Georgia has terrible gun laws that don't take any nuance into account.
Didn't the parents know that the FBI interviewed their son as a potential risk? I guess they didn't think (obviously) that he could use the gun for anything nefarious. Or they didn't care.

View attachment 1388035

Springfield PD: No reports of above. Some social media poster said her neighbour's sister's friend saw it happen, though:
Months ago, I raised the issue of couches being assaulted.

Reports now show that people have had their couches molested.

Back