anybody still on the 1st gen 60gb ps3 fat?

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 56 comments
Brainhulk
I pretty much just used it for gt prologue, gt5, and playing blu ray movies. I dont play blu rays anymore on it because i found my pc to produce much better colors.

Anyways i also have a ps3 slim collecting dust in another room. Should i start gt6 on the slim just to be safe? (Worried the fat ps3 might crap out on me)

Or do these fats last forever?

I've had my fat for 7 years (or so), and it's still going, with an upgraded hard-drive.

I did buy a Super Slim cheap and upgraded the HDD in that thinking that my fat would die on me, but no - GTA V hasn't killed it yet.

Though GT6 will get used on my Super Slim, because I think it will run smoother.

It looks like the game is going to take every bit of performance out of the console. Either make sure the fatty is cleaned and has appropriate/extra cooling or take the more secure way with the slim. I woul'd be worried indeed if mine hadn't already overcooked.

My fat was a Metal Gear bundle. I never had any problems with it until last summer when it YLOD. I tried replacing the cooling pads add she ran for about 2 hours and was promptly replaced by a slim. That fat had to have thousands of hours of run time between games, movies and netflix. The Slim will see me though until I get ahold of a PS4

Mine is still working. I'd rather have a slim for obvious reasons, but no I am stuck with it indefinitely. I hate it's form factor. There was a time when it refused to take discs and eject them. Nothing major though. I never bothered to change the HDD despite needing more space for other games. Why won't you just die?

Heh, my 40 gb fat died on me while playing GT5 a ways back. I'd play on the slim just to be sure.

Heh, my 40 gb fat died on me while playing GT5 a ways back. I'd play on the slim just to be sure.
The Slims aren't safe from the inevitable either. A few months back my first PS3 (a 120GB Slim) died on me while playing GT5 and I had to buy a new 160GB Slim on Amazon.

Last edited:
I am currently using a 320GB(i found a 320GB hard drive that was from a Slim PS3 and converted it onto my Fat PS3 Model). It never gave me any problems and i remember having it on for 3 days straight just doing 24 hour B-Spec races.

I'm still using the 60gb fat ps3 I bought to play prologue, fan gets pretty loud but all I've done is replace the laser. I'm moving it to where it gets more ventilation and cleaning out the hd to make room for gt6.

I'm hoping it'll last me until GT comes out for ps4 to make the switch.

not the 60 but the 80gb one and it has been with me for almost 5 years, never had to change or upgrade anything and the thing runs GTA V like a dream. Not planning on getting a Slim nor a PS4 anytime soon so I might just upgrade the hard drive.

Just make sure you run the ps3 fats vertically or even upside down. No joke. The reason they die is bcos the chipsets are mounted upside down and gravity eventually pulls them down and off the board with heat cycles and use.

Last edited:
Still have my limited edition, reverse compatible 80gig fat PS3. Granted I've had the GPU resoldered twice after 2 YLODs, and I've installed a more powerful fan that sometimes sounds like a hoover vacuum at max strength, but for 6+ years of gameplay, GT6 might be its complete undoing. Lol

My 60gb PS3 that I bought on launch day is still working perfectly. I bought a 320gb slim just before GT5 released though and my 60gb PS3 is pretty much a Netflix machine now. The slim PS3 runs much cooler and quieter and it has a much lower failure rate.

Not a 60Gb fat, but a 80Gb fat, that I bought 3 days before they announced that a slim model would be out on a few days later... Upgraded to a 500Gb HDD a few years ago, and overall it's working well (some minor issues in the Summer being on 24-7 to many times, overheating a bit, even being placed in a table.. those overheats ended up turning itself off 2 or 3 times, and 1 of those times it didn't wanted to turn on for a few hours after that, but after that, it's been running well for the last 3 or 4 months).

Not wanting to get a new PS3 while this one works, nor do I want to move to the next gen yet, there's still to many games to enjoy on PS3!

Never owned a fat, by the time I decided to buy a PS3 they were not available anymore. I ended up with a PS2 slim and a PS3 slim, both still work like new

I've still got my 80 Gig fatty, though I had to have the blu-ray drive replaced once.

I have used a 60gb PS3 since Oct of 2011(my first, and right now only, ps3). I kid you not, everytime I power it on, it sits on a 2-foot wide fan. I bought it from gamestop, and the L2 button only works when it wants to, so by the time I pick up GT6 on December 6th i'll have a new PS3, either slim or SS. I'm hoping it won't cost more than $100, and I MIGHT get an SSD. idk.

edit- oh, and I have to use another disc to take the disc out of the drive because the eject mechanism is broken :lol:

Back