Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 135,013 comments
Question about camtool.

So i wanna use some camtool on Pyyer Le Mans 2024 Track but the Camtool Data is only connected to the Original Track Layout.
How can i move the Cam Data file to work on those layouts?

Question about camtool.

So i wanna use some camtool on Pyyer Le Mans 2024 Track but the Camtool Data is only connected to the Original Track Layout.
How can i move the Cam Data file to work on those layouts?

Pretty sure you can just rename the files in the Camtool's data folder (AC root folder/apps/python/CamTool_2/data) and still use them for Pyyer's extension. You have to rename so it has the same name with the Pyyer's tracks folder. So it will have to look like this to work: sx_lemans_''Pyyer's extension folder''-''name of your choice''.json)
Mine from last years extension: sx_lemans_24h_2023-Le Mans 1.json

Last edited:
I've downloaded some of the fantastic track texture updates by ClimaxF1 in the last time. :bowdown:

But as the DDS files are uncompressed, they really need too much disc space and the installation with content manager just doubles the needed disc space. As I see absolutely no difference between uncompressed and compressed track textures in a racing game, so I was looking for an easy way to batch convert these DDS files to DXT5 without mipmaps to save 75% of the disc space. But none of the normal graphics programs like GIMP, PAINT.NET or IRFANVIEW has a function to batch convert DDS files.

After some search a found the tool "ImageMagick", that does a batch conversion of DDS files. But you have to do it with a command line or a BAT-file.

First install the program on your PC, then create a new TXT-file and copy the following text to it and save it.

C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI\magick mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds

(Note: "C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI" has to be the installation path on your personal PC. Maybe, you have to change it, if you have installed ImageMagick somewhere else)

In the next step you have to rename the TXT-File to something like "convert_dds.bat" (or what you like).
If your TXT-File has no .txt extension, you have to activate "show file extensions for known file types" in Windows Explorer first.

Now you can copy the BAT-file to the folder with the uncompressed DDS-files and start it with a double-click. The conversion process can take some time, if there are a lot of DDS-files in the folder. Of course you can also use the BAT-file in skin folders with large uncompressed car skin DDS-files. (do we really need a single skin folder with more than 300 MB in a racing game like AC? This means 9 GB for a field with 30 cars).

If you want to create the DDS-files with mipmaps, just change "dds:mipmaps=0" to "dds:mipmaps=1" in the BAT-file. This increases the resulting file size by 25% and I don't think, that the game needs mipmaps any more as they are automatically created at the start of a race. But maybe someone else has more information about that. By the way RSS doesn't use mipmaps for their skins anymore.

I hope this helps a little bit to save some of the limited disc space on your SSD and will increase the performance of the game on low end PCs.

... After some search a found the tool "ImageMagick", that does a batch conversion of DDS files. But you have to do it with a command line or a BAT-file... First...
Me trying to install that tool on my pc...

nuke-press-the-button.gif

(DISCLAIMER: Adorable kitten gif already used time ago in another of my previous silly jokes).

EDIT: Thinking about this, and to make life easier for those of us who don't understand these things, wouldn't it be possible to implement this tool in CM, along with the compressor it already has?

I'm surprised that someone smarter hasn't already had the idea, but I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
I've downloaded some of the fantastic track texture updates by ClimaxF1 in the last time. :bowdown:

But as the DDS files are uncompressed, they really need too much disc space and the installation with content manager just doubles the needed disc space. As I see absolutely no difference between uncompressed and compressed track textures in a racing game, so I was looking for an easy way to batch convert these DDS files to DXT5 without mipmaps to save 75% of the disc space. But none of the normal graphics programs like GIMP, PAINT.NET or IRFANVIEW has a function to batch convert DDS files.

After some search a found the tool "ImageMagick", that does a batch conversion of DDS files. But you have to do it with a command line or a BAT-file.

First install the program on your PC, then create a new TXT-file and copy the following text to it and save it.

C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI\magick mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds

(Note: "C:\Programs\ImageMagick-7.1.1-Q16-HDRI" has to be the installation path on your personal PC. Maybe, you have to change it, if you have installed ImageMagick somewhere else)

In the next step you have to rename the TXT-File to something like "convert_dds.bat" (or what you like).
If your TXT-File has no .txt extension, you have to activate "show file extensions for known file types" in Windows Explorer first.

Now you can copy the BAT-file to the folder with the uncompressed DDS-files and start it with a double-click. The conversion process can take some time, if there are a lot of DDS-files in the folder. Of course you can also use the BAT-file in skin folders with large uncompressed car skin DDS-files. (do we really need a single skin folder with more than 300 MB in a racing game like AC? This means 9 GB for a field with 30 cars).

If you want to create the DDS-files with mipmaps, just change "dds:mipmaps=0" to "dds:mipmaps=1" in the BAT-file. This increases the resulting file size by 25% and I don't think, that the game needs mipmaps any more as they are automatically created at the start of a race. But maybe someone else has more information about that. By the way RSS doesn't use mipmaps for their skins anymore.

I hope this helps a little bit to save some of the limited disc space on your SSD and will increase the performance of the game on low end PCs.
I'm not sure to have understood right, but why don't simply use the CompactGUI. As it works for the cars, it works also for the tracks. Which means less space occupied in the SSD without doing anything that requires a lot of work or a irreversible editing of the textures?

I'm not sure to have understood right, but why don't simply use the CompactGUI. As it works for the cars, it works also for the tracks. Which means less space occupied in the SSD without doing anything that requires a lot of work or a irreversible editing of the textures?
Of course you can use CompactGUI on top and you will gain even more disc space.
I did some testing with 7zip with the best compression and the archive with the compressed files is about 50% smaller than the archive with the uncompressed files. And I'm sure that you can't see any difference between the compressed and uncompressed track textures during a race. Just test it.

cool, a good step to save even more space... but I would love to be able to use this on a folder (and finally on the whole content\tracks folder) to have it convert all DDS which aren't already compressed in that folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS...
right now the batch file would only take the *.DDS files in the folder where you run the batch file.

Anyone here can write the batchfile to recursively go over all subfolders too ? (out of my league)

hmmm ... compacting an uncompressed DDS with CompactGUI, would it take up as little space as compacted compressed DDS file?
My gut says no.

So I did the test with CF1_Monaco_1966 ... and it still makes quite a difference!

First I installed the skin , and for example one of the biggest DDS files , doorwind_01.dds is 64MB.
With Compactor , this file takes on disk 12.3 MB.

I then run the batch file (btw I think it contained an error, it should be : "mogrify.exe -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds" so without the "magic " part...)

the doorwind_01.dds is now 16 MB in size (and takes 16MB on disk as it is no longer compacted)
A new run with Compactor makes it take only 4.71 MB on disk !

On the total folder size of 813MB for this 1 track skin, it saved me 106.8 MB of extra diskspace when first compressing the DDS files with this ImageMagick tool, so +- 13% gain still compared to not compressing the dds files.

Last edited:
cool, a good step to save even more space... but I would love to be able to use this on a folder (and finally on the whole content\tracks folder) to have it convert all DDS which aren't already compressed in that folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS...
right now the batch file would only take the *.DDS files in the folder where you run the batch file.

Anyone here can write the batchfile to recursively go over all subfolders too ? (out of my league)

hmmm ... compacting an uncompressed DDS with CompactGUI, would it take up as little space as compacted compressed DDS file?
My gut says no.

So I did the test with CF1_Monaco_1966 ... and it still makes quite a difference!

First I installed the skin , and for example one of the biggest DDS files , doorwind_01.dds is 64MB.

I then run the batch file (btw I think it contained an error, it should be : "mogrify.exe -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds" so without the "magic " part...)

the doorwind_01.dds is now 16 MB in size (and takes 16MB on disk as it is no longer compacted)

On the total folder size of 813MB for this 1 track skin, it saved me 106.8 MB of extra diskspace when first compressing the DDS files with this ImageMagick tool, so +- 13% gain still compared to not compressing the dds files.
The command line "magick mogrify -format dds -define dds:mipmaps=0 -define dds:compression=dtx5 *.dds" in the BAT-File works without a problem for me. That's how I found it on the ImageMagick homepage. But maybe it also works without "magick".
But I don't know how to batch convert several folders und subfolders in one step.

mipmaps=0 is a bad idea, that would be almost same as having AF off.

Thats also the reason why png's are inferiour to dds, not mipmaps possible.

AMD users set to 16x in AC
Nvidia users - turn off in AC and set to 16x in nv-sys panel!
View attachment 1368466
It would be a bad idea, if the game would not use mipmaps anymore. But that's not the case. If a DDS-file has no mipmaps, the game creates them at the start of a race. So no need to include them in the DDS-files. So you can reduce the DDS file size by 20%. Some weeks ago, there was already a discussion about mipmaps here. Maybe someone else can give us further infos.

Last edited:
It would be a bad idea, if the game would not use mipmaps anymore. But that's not the case. If a DDS-file has no mipmaps, the game creates them at the start of a race. So no need to include them in the DDS-files. So you can reduce the DDS file size by 20%. Some weeks ago, there was already a discussion about mipmaps here. Maybe someone else can give us further infos.
Not sure but, I think @leBluem might know a thing or two about that :scared:

AC itself doesnt do this, all users must be thought of, and hd space is not that rare like it used to be, and it takes longer
That's the question. Does AC or Content Manager with CSP create mipmaps, if they are missing in a DDS-file?
Until now, I always saved my DDS-files with mipmaps. But there are more and more modders, who use DDS-files without mipmaps, even RSS (Race Sim Studios) does it that way.
If you generate previews with CM, it takes longer for car skins, that use DDS-files without mipmaps. So something must be happening in the background. But what?

Don't know if it's accurate to the real life track nor do I care, but I decided to add some additional light poles around the track on rt_sonoma. There were some spots that were just too dark when racing at night. Once I get them all laid out (about 80% complete), i'll make a copy available for anyone who cares.

Before:
oldlights.jpg

After:
newlights.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if it's accurate to the real life track nor do I care, but I decided to add some additional light poles around the track on rt_sonoma. There were some spots that were just too dark when racing at night. Once I get them all laid out (about 80% complete), i'll make a copy available for anyone who cares.

Before:
View attachment 1368519

After:
View attachment 1368520
it's interesting that there are hot air balloons in the sky at night lol. i know that's not your doing though

Hi everyone.

Anyone else having trouble with loading JohnR777's 2024 Daytona? I'm on 0.2.4-preview1 and all I get is a black screen and non ending loading...
works fine for me with same csp

That are simple to remove or being active again, to me nothing that should stop racingjoe to stop in brining all kind of fine improvements. Just saying. :gtpflag:
wasnt saying rj should stop, just saying.. but sure, disable them, disables them entirely... clearly the concept of hot air balloons at night is way over your head.

wasnt saying rj should stop, just saying.. but sure, disable them, disables them entirely... clearly the concept of hot air balloons at night is way over your head.
If you (or anyone else) know of a way to make them automatically disappear at night, please shout.
Maybe there's a way to link their disappearance to track lights coming on?
IDK. Maybe someone who knows more about track modding and configs can help?
But yeah, they do look daft at night, and manually renaming the kn5 every time the sun goes down obviously isn't an option.

My gut says no.

I did not run any specific test, so don't know, but as soon as i discovered that tool here, i used it to save space on disk.

This is the VRC - Formula NA 2021 oval with all the skins of the 2024 season (147 skins) above the real size, below the compressed occupied space on disk. One single folder, i've saved more tha 11gb in one shot.

1719648501649.png

If anyone else is fed up of Steam refusing to start minimised and hijacking your whole desktop when launching AC following recent updates, just change the Start Up Location from 'Store' to 'Library' in Steam Settings/Interface.

View attachment 1272967
Just a reminder about this, as a recent update somewhere (or maybe the Steam sale?) seems to have reset things back to 'Store'.

you can also put the balloons higher, or switching on/off by the use of the CM in-build JSGME (Mod tab).

Next time be more friendly in your answer, as this is a great forum with nice members who wanting to help each other’s.
Can imagine some answers may sound rude as I’m not an (good) English speaker, then there is also the pm to correct me and I will do the change of tone of my message.

Last edited:
mipmaps=0 is a bad idea, that would be almost same as having AF off.

Thats also the reason why png's are inferiour to dds, not mipmaps possible.

AMD users set to 16x in AC
Nvidia users - turn off in AC and set to 16x in nv-sys panel!
View attachment 1368466
AMD AF problem has been fixed for a few driver versions now, can be enabled in Radeon settings / disabled in AC and works correctly

1719648697170.png

you can also put the balloons higher, or switching on/off by the use of the CM in-build JSGME (Mod tab).

Next time be more friendly in your answer, as this is a great forum with nice members who wanting to help each other’s.
Can imagine some answers may sound rude as I’m not an (good) English speaker, then there is also the pm to correct me and I will do the change of tone of my message.
If you cant say anything nice, don't say anything, but you entirely missed the point, and nothing I said to RJ was unfriendly, I even said it wasnt his fault. I am well aware what this forum is like, I don't need you to tell me. You obviously have an issue with me, because this isnt the first time you have attacked me for no reason. You want to have a crack at me in public, but expect me to PM you, the hypocrisy runs wild within you. I do agree that the forum is great, other than one bloke (look in the mirror you will know who I mean)

@Masscot I wish I knew how, if I did I would let you know. My comment was never intended as an attack on anyone or anyones work, was merely an observation. Somehow that has been taken as being unfriendly.

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.

Latest Posts

Back