ASSETTO CORSA Stuttering, 100% CPU usage and worse AI

• Thread starter Sele1981
  • 44 comments
Sele1981
Hi,

I wonder that nobody else is reporting such problems here on GTP. In the official AC Forum there are tons of threads with stuttering problems and 100% CPU usage. Most people there have new CPUs. Some people report that the game stutters, even with 180FPS. I also have this problem. Sometimes it stutters for 1-2 seconds and then I am off the track when the screen comes back. It looks like the game only works good with hotlaping.

Also the AI is officially Dumb Intelligence since V0.9. They drive straight on most corners and on 100% they are as fast/slow as on 80%.

Anybody else?

@Sele1981 does this stuttering occur while solo hotlapping? Or is it just against AI? I'm getting a mid-grade PC in a week or two and was thinking of getting AC but I get leery when I see stuff like this. I'm not the most computer savvy and the last thing I want is issues like this. If I can hotlap without issues that's good enough for me but if this occurs even when you are alone on the track it would really put me off.

@Sele1981 does this stuttering occur while solo hotlapping? Or is it just against AI? I'm getting a mid-grade PC in a week or two and was thinking of getting AC but I get leery when I see stuff like this. I'm not the most computer savvy and the last thing I want is issues like this. If I can hotlap without issues that's good enough for me but if this occurs even when you are alone on the track it would really put me off.
He might be overstating the stuttering, I couldn't find the tons of threads mentioned. I have an i3570k not overclocked running Facetracknoir which uses ~25% of the cpu by itself and have no problems in AC running races with as many as 16 AI. If your pc meets Kunos recommended minimums you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Hotlapping works perfect. Only AI and Multiplayer.

He might be overstating the stuttering, I couldn't find the tons of threads mentioned. I have an i3570k not overclocked running Facetracknoir which uses ~25% of the cpu by itself and have no problems in AC running races with as many as 16 AI. If your pc meets Kunos recommended minimums you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Well, check the forum if you mean I lie:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/warning-cpu-95.10317/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-qualifying-now-with-added-race-stutter.9542/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/i-can-cook-eggs-on-my-cpu-since-0-9-8.10074/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ais-maximum-visible-car-numbers-please.10325/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/constant-100-cpu-usage-in-ai-races.9852/unread
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ai-behaviour-after-0-9.9451/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/major-stutter.9563/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/game-freezing-randomly.10253/unread
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ll-after-about-1-laps-every-time.10376/unread

I know and hope it will get fixed. I was only wondering why there is no thread here.

It's been noted on the Official AC forums by many that the AI seems to be less competitive since one of the 0.9.xx updates. The Spec Events AI hasn't changed from my experience, but the Race Weekend and Quick Race AI have.

With regards to the stuttering, it's been recommended to reduce the mirror reflection, shadow res, cube reflections to lessen the stutters. I usually start AC and run a couple of replays on different tracks to 'warm' up AC. I find the dropped frames occur most at the beginning of my session. After a couple of races they all but disappear.

Could be placebo effect, but after an hour of driving the frames stay fairly consistent regardless of the race parameters or track.

3rd party apps cause AC to suffer also in my experience. I run Z1dashboard on a 7"lcd for all track, car, telemetry info and keep my main (single) screen empty.

edit: tree'd

During multiplayer the stutters have to do with ping. I used to have it during single player, but it went away after one of the updates a few versions back. My computer isn't a super pc either.

I5-3470, gtx770 and 8gbs ram and a budget h77 v-le board.

During multiplayer the stutters have to do with ping. I used to have it during single player, but it went away after one of the updates a few versions back. My computer isn't a super pc either.

I5-3470, gtx770 and 8gbs ram and a budget h77 v-le board.
Are you at max settings with that set up?

I run Z1dashboard on a 7"lcd for all track, car, telemetry info and keep my main (single) screen empty.

edit: tree'd

Interesting app. Bit too expensive but nice to know that there is something like that. As I only play @ 1280x720 my screen gets filled with only 2-3 apps activated. Could be an interesting solution for this problem.

I´ve seen that it is also possible on an smartphone or tablet PC to use such apps but could not find further informations. Would be way cheaper than getting an extra screen.

Interesting app. Bit too expensive but nice to know that there is something like that. As I only play @ 1280x720 my screen gets filled with only 2-3 apps activated. Could be an interesting solution for this problem.

I´ve seen that it is also possible on an smartphone or tablet PC to use such apps but could not find further informations. Would be way cheaper than getting an extra screen.

You can get dashmeter pro on the playstore (if your an android user) and run it on your tablet or phone (or both). Thats what i do and it works really well. I think it cost like 6 bucks.

Yeah I've seen the stutter. CPU is only at 20% usage. Was over a month since I played it last.

Another problem is this shaking environment. Is it suppose to be some car shake effect? Looks utterly bizzare, more like a glitch. Have a see in the video guys.

Would be terrible using the rift. :scared:Anyway, still beta but the smooth game seems to be long gone.

Last edited:
You can get dashmeter pro on the playstore (if your an android user) and run it on your tablet or phone (or both). Thats what i do and it works really well. I think it cost like 6 bucks.

Wohoo thanks, how awesome is that!? Even though 8€ is crazy, it seems like its worth the price. But as I was searching for it, I read that kunos is also planning such an app for free. So I cant play for 2 months now, I´m waiting :)

Wohoo thanks, how awesome is that!? Even though 8€ is crazy, it seems like its worth the price. But as I was searching for it, I read that kunos is also planning such an app for free. So I cant play for 2 months now, I´m waiting :)

the price is a little steep i agree, but if your a dedicated sim racer as i am (this is my hobby that i sink money into- its cheaper then karting was when i raced for real) its well worth it. So much in fact i bought every version of dashmeter for every game.

Also this and here it is in use on PCars, but it works with AC apparently. Free never ending demo too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.barz.hud_dash
These games are supported:
- Assetto Corsa
- DTM Experience
- RaceRoom Experience
- GTR2
- Project Cars
- Race 07

Full features including:
- Up to ten different layouts per game
- Unlimited number of widgets per layout
- Additional settings for thresholds per game

This app is not related to the racing sims, is provided as is and with all faults.

Also this and
here it is in use on PCars, but it works with AC apparently. Free never ending demo too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.barz.hud_dash

This one looks great too, will give both a try. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Something else, I did not make this thread because of my computer. I know my PC is too slow. I cant play with more then 2 AIs on my old desktop PC.

But I have an notebook for working that is pretty powerfull with an I5 3317U and an Intel HD4000 graphics (yeah not so good) 4GB RAM and an SSD. I tried AC on that one yesterday and when I turn the graphics settings to minimum I get 40FPS and can play online as well as against AI (tried 10 AI opponents and still had 40FPS). But unfortunately my CPU gets overheated up to 81 degree (celsius) with AI or in Multiplayer and I cant risk my notebook. But when this problem is fixed, I hope this 100% CPU usage wont happen anymore.

Last edited:
AI is back to what it was before .09. Even better in my opinion
I am having zero stutter, even if my PC is not top of the line, you can see my PC configuration on AC support forum. The SIM is being optimized every 2 week , by the time they are done , as long as you comply to the recommended configuration they will be no issue.
Been using MP for the last few days. Best MP ever, don't know if it is because of the better physic or the amazing feeling of the cars or both , but every one seem to drive better online with AC, to try it is to adopt it.
Having a blast so far and all I used was open servers.

I get stuttering on Snoopy's Nordschleife with 10 AI in a race also with a message that is warning me of 95% cpu usage. Never had this before and the stuttering is strange with slow motion driving. During the stuttering my fps is not going below 70 and averaging between 80/90.

The major stuttering happens as soon as lights turn green and then starts to smoothen out afew hundred yards later. I have experienced a slight stutter when cars are also bunched together but its not that noticeable.

I have not experienced this on any other track before now.

Still have the issue of the shaking image. Really annoying when driving so this is not playable right now for me.

hi guys ; )

After a long break in PC Sim's i came back last week. I build a gaming pc and downloaded Assetto Corsa.
First of all, don't jump onto the hype Train. The game is good but not like most people say on youtube... especially the driving physics need much work. But its a ok/good game, i have fun with it.

Back to the Topic: The game runs absolutly fine on my PC, but this morning i downloaded the GP2 Mod, and now everytime i play with the GP2 cars i get a Warning from Assetto Corsa "95% CPU occupancy".
Something is wrong with the Mod or with the game (i read somewhere that AC uses only 1 Core sometimes...).

My Specs: i7 4790k
r9 280x Toxic (Toxic version is OC and is on the level of the 290)
8gb RAM
Win 7

Iam not searching fot a Help because i will delete the Mod ... but still i wanted to say that so everyone knows.

Nice PC you have build. Physics need much work? Are you sure you played Assetto Corsa? I have not played Pcars yet (and no iRacing) but AC has the best Physics for me.

I upgraded my Athlon X2 64 to an Intel Q9450 (got it cheap from an friend) and 8GB Ram and the game runs superb now. With my old 5670HD I have 100FPS with minimum settings in 720p and hotlap mode. Even with 20 AI cars I have no more problem and about 60FPS. Online with 24 cars it runs smooth.

Even with the Snoopy Nordschleife Mod I have 100FPS in hotlap mode.

You can setup your AC with this options and give the mod another try:

Wiz
For those with stuttering issues and high CPU usage warnings, try the suggestions from this thread -
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/95-cpu-occupancy.10798/

Specifically replies #11 & #12

Nice PC you have build. Physics need much work? Are you sure you played Assetto Corsa? I have not played Pcars yet (and no iRacing) but AC has the best Physics for me.

I upgraded my Athlon X2 64 to an Intel Q9450 (got it cheap from an friend) and 8GB Ram and the game runs superb now. With my old 5670HD I have 100FPS with minimum settings in 720p and hotlap mode. Even with 20 AI cars I have no more problem and about 60FPS. Online with 24 cars it runs smooth.

Even with the Snoopy Nordschleife Mod I have 100FPS in hotlap mode.

You can setup your AC with this options and give the mod another try:

I don't say that the physics are bad, it's just not on the level what most people say. A few years ago where i was a PC Sim player i played games like netKar Pro, iRacing(just a few months), rFactor, LFS...
I have to say that the physics are not on the level of netKar Pro, LFS or iRacing. It's more on the level of rFactor, pretty similar, but i would prefer rFactor.

CPU Occupancy problem is definitely not related to my PC. Iam way above the requirements. Something different is wrong...

I did the start options thing and i will give it a try later.

ps: I forgot to say that i only got the CPU occupancy warning with the GP2 mod. If i load 24 F1 or F3 Cars in AC i don't get this Warning... but yeah i will try it later with the new options...

I don't say that the physics are bad, it's just not on the level what most people say. A few years ago where i was a PC Sim player i played games like netKar Pro, iRacing(just a few months), rFactor, LFS...
I have to say that the physics are not on the level of netKar Pro, LFS or iRacing. It's more on the level of rFactor, pretty similar, but i would prefer rFactor.

This is just crazy talk.
Personal preferences aside (some folks prefer ice skates to running shoes) to say the physics are not on the level of those earlier generation sims is just crazy talk.

This is just crazy talk.
Personal preferences aside (some folks prefer ice skates to running shoes) to say the physics are not on the level of those earlier generation sims is just crazy talk.

Earlier generation Sims ??? If a game is released before a other one does that mean it has worse physics ? I think yours is crazy talk. Only because AC is one of the newest Sims doesn't make the physics better. For example i know people who are still playing GP 4 , do you know this game ? I personally hate it but yeah , some people still love the physics of it.

Sometimes it's: Old but Gold.

Don't get me wrong, AC is great , its not bad , but the physics are never ever on the level of netKar Pro or iRacing... For me it's a new rFactor.

Earlier generation Sims ??? If a game is released before a other one does that mean it has worse physics ? I think yours is crazy talk. Only because AC is one of the newest Sims doesn't make the physics better. For example i know people who are still playing GP 4 , do you know this game ? I personally hate it but yeah , some people still love the physics of it.

Sometimes it's: Old but Gold.

Don't get me wrong, AC is great , its not bad , but the physics are never ever on the level of netKar Pro or iRacing... For me it's a new rFactor.

Well I can definitely say I don't agree with you.

Back