Assetto Corsa: What to Expect

From the comments section of the video here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ps4-and-xbox-one.329736/page-67#post-11505791

Not exactly good news. Let's hope they are able to fix it.
Yeah hope so but I'm not overly optimistic on that one. I doubt Sony wanted them to run it at 900p which might have helped. I'm thinking a likely cause in the races I've seen is the advanced physics they have for the AI hammering the CPU and if so it won't be easy to sort out. By all accounts it causes issues on PC too if the grid is large. If that's the case I'd personally like to see more simplified AI physics than tearing, I mean, would the average player even know (or care) if the AI is running the same physics as the player?

But who knows? If it's a big issue for players then I'm sure Kunos will have to react to it. Most of that video isn't too bad, but that hairpin early on causes some nasty tearing, and he's just hotlapping, so I guess it's not all down to AI.

I think might be one of those things that are difficult to avoid. Lord knows GT5 and 6 had their fair share of tearing. Fortunately my eyes adapted to it.
And to be honest I like that the AI have to follow the same physical laws as your car. Kind of makes them more believable and avoids "supernatural" moves.

I think might be one of those things that are difficult to avoid. Lord knows GT5 and 6 had their fair share of tearing. Fortunately my eyes adapted to it.
And to be honest I like that the AI have to follow the same physical laws as your car. Kind of makes them more believable and avoids "supernatural" moves.
Yes I respect their decision to run the AI like that. If pCARS followed suit the wet weather races would've been quite different as those guys were blatantly using different physics to the player and generally didn't care how they drove in general.

If that's the case I'd personally like to see more simplified AI physics than tearing, I mean, would the average player even know (or care) if the AI is running the same physics as the player?
I would not care as long as the AI behaves reasonably. I would be happy with pCARS' AI's simplified physics if SMS can tone down its corner aggression and increase its brake distance.

I would not care as long as the AI behaves reasonably. I would be happy with pCARS' AI's simplified physics if SMS can tone down its corner aggression and increase its brake distance.
I've been winding down my time with pCARS this week (*sheds tear) by running all my favourite cars round Nords but will not go anywhere near any open wheeler there. Just no. I think I've died multiple times.

Yeah hope so but I'm not overly optimistic on that one. I doubt Sony wanted them to run it at 900p which might have helped. I'm thinking a likely cause in the races I've seen is the advanced physics they have for the AI hammering the CPU and if so it won't be easy to sort out. By all accounts it causes issues on PC too if the grid is large. If that's the case I'd personally like to see more simplified AI physics than tearing, I mean, would the average player even know (or care) if the AI is running the same physics as the player?

But who knows? If it's a big issue for players then I'm sure Kunos will have to react to it. Most of that video isn't too bad, but that hairpin early on causes some nasty tearing, and he's just hotlapping, so I guess it's not all down to AI.

For what it's worth I believe there might be a pretty substantial performance improvement coming to PC in 1.8 so if there is any tearing maybe that boost will help. Not sure if they'll be able to get it in the launch patch but maybe by the second patch.

Stefano tweeted this a couple weeks ago, shows the improvement (and he said the higher CPU usage is actually a good thing).

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good (from the stats I actually understand lol). Also when was the last time these guys made a console game? Is this their first shot? If so then they'll get to grips with the hardware as the weeks roll on and hopefully eek more out of them. Didn't they say developing for consoles has even helped the PC side too?

Looks good (from the stats I actually understand lol). Also when was the last time these guys made a console game? Is this their first shot? If so then they'll get to grips with the hardware as the weeks roll on and hopefully eek more out of them. Didn't they say developing for consoles has even helped the PC side too?

I believe FPS and FT are the important ones. Higher FPS (frames per second) is good and lower FT (dunno) is good.

This is their first go at a console and I think AC is their first really big game (I know they did Ferrari Virtual Academy and NetKar Pro) so they are for sure learning as they go but they're pretty dedicated and have accomplished a lot with a little. This is their baby, it may not be perfect but their passion for it seems genuine. I would think for sure that developing for two different platforms simultaneously would end up benefitting both in some way or another, I believe they've said as much. Learning tricks to make it work on console hardware may work as good or better on the PC.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd love to see something like Project Car's "Look To Apex" setting in AC.

It feels so natural to me and I really got used to it.

While it's not incorporated into the base game, there is a PC mod that does something similar called "Real Head Motion". May be you could go over to the AC forums and ask the devs directly if perhaps they would consider adding this mod officially like they have done with some modded cars, so that console players can use the feature.

I believe FPS and FT are the important ones. Higher FPS (frames per second) is good and lower FT (dunno) is good.

I think it's the Frame Time. You often also see/hear it referred to as Frame Pacing.

Does the console version have online leaderboards and are all lap times saved locally for future reference?
Lap times are saved locally, there are third party leaderboards but it will be a bit of time before they are given compatibility assuming it gives out the same amount of information as the pc version.

Last edited:
Lap times are saved locally, there are third party leaderboards but it will be a bit of time before they are given compatibility assuming it gives out the same amount of information as the pc version.

Are you saying that third party leaderboards are coming to consoles? I fail to see how that would work.

How comprehensive is the local storage of lap times? Is there a limit, i.e. only showing top 10 or something like that? Do the lap records distinguish between cars?

Back