Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

It's true that the Ferrari 458 has surpassed this car as a better overall machine. More power, more acceleration, sublime handling, more competitiveness.
MrWaflz55 is under investigation for false advertising and for being a 458 fanboy. I took mine for the first drive in a few months solely because of this quote, gave it a spin round the 'ring, and lasted about 5km before meeting a smokey and crunching fate. There's one less 458 in this world because of your praise for the car, I hope you're happy!

In all fairness, I have been battling a head cold for about a week and a bit now. Blocked nose, headache.. you know how it is! Not making excuses for my shoddy driving this week, but... Okay I guess that is kinda making excuses. Regardless, Ferraris are so last week, time to get hip with the youth!

And who here knows how to be hip with the youth better than our very own Draggon!
Congratulations @Draggon!!!

for this week my choice is the .... just because :lol: Seriously though, I've had this one on my mind for awhile. I see it rarely spoken of at GTP, if ever. I like Minis ( I mean the car, but the skirt is nice too ) however this is my favorite. Having 4wd, aero, and being mostly tunable are positives as is the exhaust note. I just can't get beyond how they fubared the exhaust on the normal Minis in the game. I think its a dream to drive. Not sure if it will live up to the Xsara rally car, but its a football field better than that Celica thing we drove few weeks back.

mini-clubman-vision-gran-turismo-04-1.jpg

It's the Mini Clubman Vision Gran Turismo!!!

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is it. The first ever Mini to be reviewed on our humble thread. Don't believe me? Look at the OP. Ctrl+F and type in Mini, the only car that comes up is the Mini Marcos. (Which I know, was based on a Mini, but... Shhhhhh!) It's also the first VGT car I've ever reviewed, though I have been thinking of doing one for a while now... Ah well, all in good time.

This week's playing with TT's will be hosted in the beautiful hills of Trial Mountain. A fictional track for a fictional car! Also, the time in New Zealand has gone back an hour, meaning that COTW now starts while I'm still at school for another half hour. This means that if @McClarenDesign isn't hosting, then @Vic Reign93 might want to take hosting responsibility. The counter-effect to the time zone change is that I should be able to join in most Saturday night meetups now, we'll see... :sly:

(Also, I really wish I could edit the OP. It's about a month old now, and could do with an update!)

Last edited:
Were you meaning to start the TT before Pascal Wehrlein actually tries to race for Sauber??? :odd: :lol:

Cheers

All of my assessments are due this week, so I've been in overdrive, which sadly doesn't leave much room for gaming. :guilty: Ideally, I'd really like to get the TT up, DOTW done, as well as pics and my review of the Clubman, but simply haven't had the time. Thankfully, the weekend is upon us, so hold on a wee bit longer, I'll have your precious TT's for ya soon!

All of my assessments are due this week, so I've been in overdrive, which sadly doesn't leave much room for gaming. :guilty: Ideally, I'd really like to get the TT up, DOTW done, as well as pics and my review of the Clubman, but simply haven't had the time. Thankfully, the weekend is upon us, so hold on a wee bit longer, I'll have your precious TT's for ya soon!

Thanks @Nismonath5 ... I was trying to be as humourous as my sarcasm would let me! ;) Take care, be safe!

Cheers

TT event's up :)
One other thing I noticed... why is Mini listed as German in GT6? It's supposed to be British, no?

It may be British but the engine is made by BMW I believe. I know the standard models engines are produced by BMW. I'm pretty sure Vic or someone will spot check me if I'm wrong.

The feels when you set a faster lap in practise than you do the actual TT event... :(

Managed to wrangle the Clubman round the Mountain in 1:27.9xx, but somehow that only translated to a 1:28.4xx.... Ah well, I know there's room for improvement!

TT event's up :)
One other thing I noticed... why is Mini listed as German in GT6? It's supposed to be British, no?

It may be British but the engine is made by BMW I believe. I know the standard models engines are produced by BMW. I'm pretty sure Vic or someone will spot check me if I'm wrong.

BMW bought out the Rover Group in 1994 which was owned by British Aerospace from 1988.

The original company was called British Motor Corporation which then had a short lived merger and was called British Motor Holdings. In 1966, Mini was now a part of British Leyland even though it was "considered" to be its own brand from 1969 on.

EDIT:

The Not so British Mini Me...

K7s85TN.jpg

This week we saw what BMW could possibly do with the iconic not so mini Mini Clubman... the VGT version transforms it into an AWD bad boy with just over 400 hamsters at your disposal. Pretty decent considering it's just over a single tonne, giving it a reported 3.5 second 0-60 time.

Now even though it is the "best" Mini we have in the game, I think it's the worst VGT we have... especially where handling is concerned. Well at least in my hands anyways. AWD cars have a tendency for understeer, and this proves that. It is quick... but there are other AWD VGT's available, and I'd go for any of them long before this one.

So for this COTW victim, I'll be handing it a Neutral rating as it sits stock... but it can be tuned, unlike some of the other VGT models available.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'll have this week's car posted later tonight due to a local event that will take up a majority of my time. Fear not, disappointment is en route.

You didn't think that a Ferrari track demon followed by a VGT would then be followed by something else equally amazing, did you?

Car of the Week:
"Success? We punish that!"

COTW167.jpg

Cover by @Racer283

The Mini Clubman VGT!
Here's one of the VGT lineup I've never really felt too inclined to buy. I mean, it looks like an uglier version of the Countryman. I didn't know there's actually such thing as a Mini Clubman until a Google search just now, but still. The visuals never really appealed to me. And what exactly were they going for? A race car? A rally car? It's hard to tell...

City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

Not-so-mini Minis

Regardless, I bought it a while ago because I thought it looked pretty beast in this black w/ red stripes paint scheme. But I made the mistake of picking a track at night to give it a test run. So when I hit the brakes, I couldn't stop laughing at the angry face that scowled at me! I mean, it's like every time you brake the car flashes it's disapproval at you!

Mid-Field Raceway_2.jpg

"No!"

But enough poking fun at the Clubman's amusing visuals, driving it was quite the challenge!

The Clubman took quite a bit of time to get a feel for it. Not too sure why, it just did. I found myself having a bad time, although eventually I found a groove. It took me a while to click on the fact that it was 4WD... Not too sure why, but I thought it was FR. Regardless, expecting more grip in the front certainly helped, and to really top off the night we had a good ol' fashioned fast tyre/fuel wear, madnatory pit stop race! At Spa no less (Right after Baron had left, oh how different the results woulda been if he was there...)

I did alright, just made the tactical mistake of pitting about mid-race, so by the time the final lap rolled around, my tyres had once again worn while everyone else zipped around on fresher rubber. What I didn't like about the Clubman was how mch more the front tyres chewed out as opposed to the rears. It was extremely disproportinate, and I lost steering ability as a result.

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_2.jpg

Three wide into turn five?! This can only end in tears... (It didn't thankfully)

Apart from that, I quite liked it. It sounds pretty good, feels lively and fun to drive, but isn't as great at serious racing. I didn't check to see if it can be taken to the dirt, but wouldn't be surprised. I like the little nod to the classic minis via the crossed out headlights, nice touch!

All in all, the Mini VGT isn't my favourite, but definately worth a try!

Pics from the action!

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_3.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_4.jpg
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_1.jpg

And now we wait for the next car disappointment...

Time to catch up with the officially unofficial results for the Playing with TT's events...

The Mini VGT...

G_ASHER: 1:26.981

BaronBlitzRed: 1:27.381

thematic604: 1:28.222

Nismonath5: 1:28.476

The 430 Scuderia...

Victory_Reign93: 1:51.310

BaronBlitzRed: 1:52.770

G_ASHER: 1:53.300

Rob_on_Drums: 1:55.547

The Toyota FT-1...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:10.260

G_ASHER: 2:10.668

Cheers

@Baron Blitz Red[/USER] I was watching your attempts to grab the lead in the Mini with some anxiety, as I thought for certain you'd pick up those few tenths.

Nope... you had this one wrapped days ago where I was concerned. Even though I was surprised about the jump with TC-0, I hit the wall pretty early on with this car. Just another example of a car that doesn't agree with me.

Woo hoo, top of the podium finally!

This can't be your first appearance on the top step of the podium... :odd: I'm pretty sure you've been there before!!! Well done anyways bud, yet more proof of how you keep improving. Keep going!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
This can't be your first appearance on the top step of the podium... :odd: I'm pretty sure you've been there before!!! Well done anyways bud, yet more proof of how you keep improving. Keep going!!!Cheers

Thanks! I had to go back and check the club TT's in the community section. I actually have posted the fastest lap a few times recently. It's just me getting old, short term memory is shot. I can however, remember my girlfriend's favorite drink from 1978.

More to the point, it's because of racing with you and all of the COTW guys that has lead to my improvement. I recall a BMW ( ? ) TT that McD ran at Eifel shortly after the TPE was released. I was over three seconds behind, and could do no better. But it's not just me. I think most of us have noticed that on any day, any one of us can win. 👍

Back