Best PS3 ventilation setup?

United States
San Francisco,
machate-man
dowby
Recently, I have gotten quite fond of B-spec(to many's dismay) and the endurances are quite near. I dont want my PS3 to choke on it's own dust, but I cannot have it sitting out. What are your suggestions?

well for dust use a vacuum and NOT compressed air!

and I elevate my PS3 using 2-litre soda bottle tops, one at each corner. My PS3 just rests on them, not glued or anything crazy..

(HORIZONTAL. it seems that if you have your PS3 vertical, all the heat from the machine ends up in the blu-ray player at the top...)

works good to keep the heat down, and increase circulation, on the cheap.

I always keep mine horizontal, and tend to keep the house at a low temp anyway (according to my daughter at least). I do agree with vacuum vs canned air - you just blast the crud deeper that way it would seem to me!

As others have said, keep it elevated (I built an aluminum stand with heat sinks for each one of my entertainment electronics, benefit of working in an engineering facility) and use a vacuum for the dust. I also clean mine with a micro-fiber cloth several times a week to help prevent dust build up.

I have bought 4.5 inch fans off eBay for 4 dollars shipped and they use USB for power! So when u turn on the ps3 they come on and when off they go off. Just to circulate some air. Look em up!

NjLowrider
I have bought 4.5 inch fans off eBay for 4 dollars shipped and they use USB for power! So when u turn on the ps3 they come on and when off they go off. Just to circulate some air. Look em up!

I like that idea. I might have to add some to my stands. Don't know why I ne'er thought of that. Good looking out!

My CECHA always sits vertically (there is little practical difference between the two orientations), and every 3 months I crack it open and blow all of the air out of it. Honestly, so long as you take care to get the dust out of it, you really shouldn't need anything in the way of an external cooler.

Keeping it elevated is most important, I guess. Mine is about 2in off the ground, nothing else needed so far.

Best advise I can give is make sure there is clear space all around the unit and that an good airflow is present.

If your cool, then make a custom watercoolingrig!

You can replace the fan, or you can modify the casing, remove the plastic that restricts the airflow, make some new intakes on the far end from the fan and so on.

Last summer my PS3 80gb sounded like it was ready for take whilst playing 'call of duty mw2'. So i cleaned out the vents with a low powered hoover and repositioned the back of it away from the wall (i should have done it in the first place). Elevation is also good, as when i moved the ps3 from its spot on the table, i found it was burning hot there too.
I don't think i'll risk playing it for long periods, if its a hot summer.

With my 40GB failing from the YLOD, I used this chance to upgrade to a 60GB. I took the 60GB PS3 apart to apply all the lessons learned from my failed 40GB PS3.

I cleaned out the PS3. Laid down fresh quality thermal paste and installed a potentiometer so I could control the fan speed. Now i can adjust the speed(noise) of the fan based on game playing or video watching.

I did have my 40GB repaired to save all my saved games and data. I didn't want to lose all the hours of GT5 I racked in the month it came it out. Part of the shops repairs was to run direct power to the fan. It kept this PS3 so damn cool, but generated some much noise. The noise rendered it useless for anything but games. So I also installed a potentiometer into this PS3 because I plan to sell it.

Don't buy anything extra! You wont need it! All you have to do is make sure there is no dust in the vents, that there is a good air gap all the way around the PS3 and then just put something underneath the PS3, say maybe little square blocks underneath each foot, that will give you an air gap underneath which will help aswell.

Be careful of fans that add on, most reviews I have seen say they just restrict the air flow for the PS3. Note the fan is on the bottom of the PS3 ...

If you are going to clean the dust out of your PS3 please go buy some compressed air and don't use a hoover :)

and I elevate my PS3 using 2-litre soda bottle tops, one at each corner. My PS3 just rests on them, not glued or anything crazy..

Just read this! Great idea mate! Might do this myself when I get a more permanent set up sorted!

I never turn off my PS3.

I have it elevated with 2 dvd cases under the left and right edges leaving the bottom exposed for better cooling.

I have my PS3 and all of my electronics for that matter in a 9sf closet. In that closet I have ducted enough air for a 150sf room.

I have also increased my total BTU/hour from 30,000 to 42,000 and since I live in a sub tropical region I always have the A/C running.

My Playstation stays between 50-70 degrees all year.

Vacuuming will do fine for a while, but eventually you will have to use compressed air. Unless you have your PS3 in a finely filtered closed air box.

There is no filtration on the PS3 air inlet vents (360 either)and the dust will eventually accumulate inside. The only way to remove it without disassembly and manual cleaning is to use compressed air.

I've had my PS3 since launch and have only blown it out once when it still overheated after vacuuming.
The inside was loaded with dust.
The original PS2 had a screen on the front air inlets and prevented this from happening.

Last edited:
I have an old school 60 gig that I bought new(back in the day). Have had a cooler(fan) on it since I bought it - no issues. Have had it on for multiple days at a time, no issues. House is around 63-66 degrees and the PS is in an open area.

I've just got mine on an open shelf under the television, not in an enclosed casing. When I ran B-Spec for 4 days straight I just put a standard box fan next to the shelf on low setting and that light breeze carried away the warm air ejected by the PS3. The hardware never got any more than slightly warm to the touch, and certainly never hot. That's after 4 days straight of leaving the unit on as well.

why are you giving this person bad advice?

Well you could at least explain a bit.

Vacuums are said to be bad for electronics because they create Static which builds up in your electronic device, unless its grounded in some manner. Compressed air is recommended to avoid this static.

I bought a cheap cooling pad with 3 fans in it from ebay so it sits an inch high. Also bought the official cooling fans that clip on to the rear vent. Keeps it very well ventilated.

My PS3 sits on top of a "Wire Cooling Rack" found in Kitchen ware at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart or similar stores.

I found mine at Home Depot. It stands 4" high, and is just a tad longer than the PS3, and the perfect depth to support the PS3.

I regularly vacuum clean my ps3 and when i have it on for longer i alway turn the heater off so there is relatively cold in my room and then i keep it elevated on two books. One at each end. Works great.

Also bought the official cooling fans that clip on to the rear vent.

Hate to burst your bubble mate but when I said some fans hinder cooling, well, you are using the exact fan that I was talking about. I recommend you remove it.

PS3's do not need the extra cooling fans, or extreme stupid methords like the guy with the 9sqft case and the ventalation for a huge room etc. All you have to do, is raise it a bit, like another guy said, a bottle cap under each corner, leaving the underside of the PS3 with an air gap.

And on the hoover suggestion, it is recommended you don't use a hoover as it risks pulling stuff off of the board (Ive never heard of the static build up before tbh but ok :P) Always use compressed air when dealing with any electronics such as a PS3 or PC / Laptop etc.

Hig-GT
PS3's do not need the extra cooling fans, or extreme stupid methords like the guy with the 9sqft case

Haha I really only made the thing because I was bored and it looked cooler than my crappy entertainment center.

(HORIZONTAL. it seems that if you have your PS3 vertical, all the heat from the machine ends up in the blu-ray player at the top...)

works good to keep the heat down, and increase circulation, on the cheap.

Weird my ps3 kept on overheating when horizontal but when I put it vertical it kept cool even through long gaming sesions.:dunce:

Back