Best PS3 ventilation setup?

Ill show you guys my ps3 set up w/ pictures. Im still in the process of uploading the pictures.

EDIT: Here are my pictures sorry if its low quality i took it w/ my phone. Anyways here is my ps3 setup. My ps3 sits on top of a hallow table (look at the pic to see how it looks like)
Photo0412.jpg

Photo0409.jpg

Photo0414.jpg

Photo0416.jpg

Photo0413.jpg

Last edited:
Ill show you guys my ps3 set up w/ pictures. Im still in the process of uploading the pictures.

EDIT: Here are my pictures sorry if its low quality i took it w/ my phone. Anyways here is my ps3 setup. My ps3 sits on top of a hallow table (look at the pic to see how it looks like)

that table is perfect, lol. i want that. =)

As others have said, keep it away from tight spaces and don't use a vacuum to clean it due to static electricity which can short components. If your PS3 is out of warranty you can replace the fan with a longer life more effective one. The heat sink design on the PS3 is not desirable but not much you can do about that, although building a water cooling system for it won't be too hard. :)

Sorry, but I don't understand how static is created by sucking vs. blowing. Please no off-color comments here, just curious why there would be a difference. I always used a Craftsman 5.0 HP shop vac to clean my PS3, PS2, etc., and always leave them on -- never had a problem. Not arguing, just curious for those who are pro-compressed air why that is the case.

As far as the topic question goes: most people have already answered: keep it adequately ventilated; keep the vents clean. My PS3 runs 24/7/365 excepting upgrades (which require a re-start).

Thanks, K

Sorry, but I don't understand how static is created by sucking vs. blowing. Please no off-color comments here, just curious why there would be a difference. I always used a Craftsman 5.0 HP shop vac to clean my PS3, PS2, etc., and always leave them on -- never had a problem. Not arguing, just curious for those who are pro-compressed air why that is the case.

As far as the topic question goes: most people have already answered: keep it adequately ventilated; keep the vents clean. My PS3 runs 24/7/365 excepting upgrades (which require a re-start).

Thanks, K

Static electricity is generated by particles (air, dust, dirt, etc.) being rubbed across the insides of the vacuum. In all my computer classes that i use to take, they always advised to never ever use a vacuum cleaner when cleaning computers and instead use compressed air.

imo though, i think static build up is overstated

I modded my entertainment center to support two 120mm case fans for PCs. I have two Noctura fans constantly blowing all the heat out of there, causing the unit to stay very cool...

I also attached a heatsink somewhere...

I have my PS3 in a closed media cabinet with no ventilation and its been running 24/7 since november with only a few minutes turned off each week. Its the new version but I treated my older first gen PS3 the same way. It ran for almost 2 years straight. Never had a problem with overheating or malfunction. It gets hot to the touch, but no issues. I don't know why everyone seems so worked up over the heat or long duration of "on" periods. Maybe I just got a couple magic PS3s.

(the only reasons I got the new one is so I could move the first unit to my son's room,not due to malfunction, its still running fine)

@CimbGroomCreek - This! 👍
I've always been wondering what all this fuss is about. I own a PS1 -never cleaned, PS2 - never cleaned, now a PS3 - same. I'm only cleaning the top with a wet cloth from time to time, that's all.

I have my PS3 in a closed media cabinet with no ventilation and its been running 24/7 since november with only a few minutes turned off each week. Its the new version but I treated my older first gen PS3 the same way. It ran for almost 2 years straight. Never had a problem with overheating or malfunction. It gets hot to the touch, but no issues. I don't know why everyone seems so worked up over the heat or long duration of "on" periods. Maybe I just got a couple magic PS3s.

(the only reasons I got the new one is so I could move the first unit to my son's room,not due to malfunction, its still running fine)

Same thing here, my fat 2 years old PS3 is running in a closed media cabinet (with the front door open, of course), but it happened to me twice that my wife closed the door while I was running some B-spec, for an entire day... Never cleaned it either, but you guys are scaring me quite a bit I must say... and the more I think about it, the fan seems louder and it also seems to be running constanltly :-) I think i'm gonna elevate my PS3 a bit and vacuum it just to see if it helps... Thanks!

My two-pennies re: static build up..
I'm an electronic engineer, I design embedded electronic stuff for a living. Static build up is a real issue, you don't necessarily notice it right away, (sparking is very rare) but you can seriously weaken the chips by introducing static meaning they can then fail apparently randomly further down the line. Really this is more of an issue with touching the board than it is with cleaning it, if you are going to clean the inside then touch something grounded (radiator for example) before going near it. At work we always use compressed air but clearly this is more convenient in a lab than a vacuum. The vacuum also has a large motor which will generate huge amounts of static but it will be grounded through the plug and the plastic hose you are likely to be poking in to the unit isn't going to be a good conductor of electricity.
So, a can of compressed air is better if you have one, it will reach areas that a vacuum cant. A vacuum cleaner is a good enough alternative unless it is seriously dirty (btw you can't suck components off the board, they are stuck on with metal!!) but you'd have to be using it regularly.
Hope that helps someone, my driving is crap so it's nice to be able to offer some advice about something!:)

@CimbGroomCreek - This! 👍
I've always been wondering what all this fuss is about. I own a PS1 -never cleaned, PS2 - never cleaned, now a PS3 - same. I'm only cleaning the top with a wet cloth from time to time, that's all.

Let me help with your lack of a problem.

Get yourself some kids, dogs, cats and carpeting and put your Playstations near the floor.
Oh and open your windows spring and fall.
That oughta do it.

You must live in a museum.

Let me help with your lack of a problem.

Get yourself some kids, dogs, cats and carpeting and put your Playstations near the floor.
Oh and open your windows spring and fall.
That oughta do it.

You must live in a museum.

It really is a house to house issue.

Some people smoke or have older carpet or poor filtration for their air or even have unstable power in their home. I've noticed a lot of the people who have YLOD or repeat RRODs (that I know personally) have a lot of problems with electronics.

My PS3 gets dusted, but almost never has any on it. We don't have any carpet in the house, and have a good air filter, and generally just don't make a lot of dust that lingers. I think just keeping the PS3 dust free and in an open area to ventilate is all most people need, but if you're smoking or have a dusty home, you need to be extra careful.

BTW, my PS3's fans come on much less frequently in vertical position than horizontal. It's clearly in a chimney design that disappates heat more easily if vertical. Yeah, the heat goes across the disc drive, but it's going away from the GPU and processors and memory and all that. By relying on passive cooling more, in vertical position, the PS3 is drawing in less air and less dust.

The PS3 cleans itself:dopey:
Just take out all the cables, controllers, everything, powering it down. Then keep pressing the eject button, and finally, while pressing the button, put on the power cable:)

I drilled holes in the bottom of mine, and it sits on a laptop cooler. Works a treat.

xf7n2b.jpg

Last edited:
I have my old 40 Fat standing vertical more than 10 inches away from the wall. The fats stay very cool vertical. When it is horizontal, I find that that bottom gets very warm. It all depends on your preference.

Back