Best Rear End

• Thread starter Carbonite
  • 776 comments
xzKv3yS.jpg

fVxEmOT.jpg

I have a soft spot for this:

alfa-mito-14-multiair-6.jpg

Why are these so rubbish? I think they look great, and I really wanted one as a first car (crucial use of the past tense there). I expected these to be rather good, (after all, the Giulietta is a pretty good car), but the interior is pretty naff, the handling is poor and the ride is less than acceptable too. The issue is that Alfa Romeo are positioning it as a premium hatchback (along the lines of the Audi A1 and MINI), but being based on the shared architecture of the GM Corsa and Fiat Punto platform means the MiTo hasn't really got the quality or dynamics to support the price and the 8C-alike supercar looks. A triumph of style over substance, sadly something Alfa Romeo is all too good at...

Why are these so rubbish? I think they look great, and I really wanted one as a first car (crucial use of the past tense there). I expected these to be rather good, (after all, the Giulietta is a pretty good car), but the interior is pretty naff, the handling is poor and the ride is less than acceptable too. The issue is that Alfa Romeo are positioning it as a premium hatchback (along the lines of the Audi A1 and MINI), but being based on the shared architecture of the GM Corsa and Fiat Punto platform means the MiTo hasn't really got the quality or dynamics to support the price and the 8C-alike supercar looks. A triumph of style over substance, sadly something Alfa Romeo is all too good at...

Performance is great to have on a race track, but you don't really need much when driving on public roads. You can probably get more "substance" for the money, but most of it will be latent during most of your driving. Style is more important than substance.

Performance is great to have on a race track, but you don't really need much when driving on public roads. You can probably get more "substance" for the money, but most of it will be latent during most of your driving. Style is more important than substance.
I don't mean to be offensive, but are you old enough to drive? That, to me, sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't really driven much and isn't in a position to realise that a really poor car that looks great will be awful to drive all the time, not just on the track. A really good car is as fun to drive at 10 mph as 100 mph.

I don't mean to be offensive, but are you old enough to drive? That, to me, sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't really driven much and isn't in a position to realise that a really poor car that looks great will be awful to drive all the time, not just on the track. A really good car is as fun to drive at 10 mph as 100 mph.

Great performance != fun to drive. Yes I'm old enough to drive, but I have to confess that I'm a follower of James May's philosophy of driving.

-> Here are my choices:

Honda [AP2] S2000
5028-119-low-wide-rear-view-480.jpg

Porsche [980] Carrera GT
Porsche_Carrera_GT_28.jpg

Dodge [SR.2] Viper GTS
IMG_9177web.jpg

Dodge [ZB.2] Viper SRT-10 Coupe
112_2007_detroit_auto_show_866z%2B2008_dodge_viper_srt10%2Brear_view.jpg

Dodge [VX] Viper GTS
2013-srt-viper-gts-rear-end.jpg

Isdera Commendatore 1121
Isdera-Commendatore-112i-Rear.jpg

Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
tn_355si2-L.jpg

Ford GT(44)
2006-ford-gt-2-door-coupe-rear-exterior-view_100268983_m.jpg

Chevrolet [C4.2] Corvette ZR-1
corvette_zr1_coupe_2.jpg

BMW [E31] 850CSi
IMG_3628_zps4cf25359.jpg

Mitsubishi [A176] Lancer 2000 Turbo
3069809458_0b21f172a6_b.jpg

Nissan [R34] Skyline GT-R & Toyota [JZA80] Supra Turbo
sstp_1102_03_o%2B1994_toyota_supra_tt_2000_nissan_skyline%2Brear_view.jpg

BMW [E46] M3
IMG_1606.JPG

Porsche 993 Turbo
993turbo_backview.jpg

...to be continued.

:sly:

One of the reasons why I love driving the Ferrari 288 GTO in GT6. Dat rear end :drool: And I actually had my GTO painted in white like this. Makes the car even more prettier :drool::drool:

👍

Good idea! I will paint mine white, to see how it looks like. It's a shame that we don't have some good wheels to match that car.

Had the pleasure of being overtaken by one of these on a rainy night recently. Such a recognizable yet authoritative shape.

2009-Startech-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Rear-1280x960.jpg

Those cars are so damn handsome.
And an unbelievable joy to drive. Probably the best GT car of its period when compared to all other GT cars in their own respective periods (though it had far less competition than modern GTs). Heavy yet light, power that you can really feel but isn't overwhelming, and a phenomenal ride. It doesn't hurt that an incredibly well-kept example can be gotten for under $35,000 today.

Back