BMW M5 vs Mercedez C63 AMG. Battle of the four doors

if they all got big engines similar power and similar stats... that should be enough for a comparison.. no one gives a rats ass about how nice the interior is... or whats the price... this is a driving simulator... so thusly.. the only spec that should matter is the lap time on a certain track... or the sound... or the feel..

To compare cars you must compare similar cars. That's like saying a
wrx sti is the same as a legacy. No. The legacy is a step up from
a
wrx, with an sti being higher then the legacy gt. So therefore, an m class is a step up from it predecessor( u know what that means right) the 3 series.

That's exactly my point, the thread isn't comparing similar cars.
The thread title asks if an M5 or C63 AMG is better.

My response was that the M3 competes with the C63 AMG.

The M5 competes with the E-class AMG.

I'm not sure if you understand how cars are differentiated, as the Impreza and Legacy are not the same, and the STi isn't a "step up" from the Legacy, it's a different car.

For the record, you ironically used "predecessor" incorrectly. You probably meant "underpinnings" or "base". The predecessor to the E92 M3 would be something like the E46 M3.

It's common knowledge that the C-Class and the 3-Series are in direct competition. So it's obvious the C63 AMG is made to directly compete with the M3.... And beats it hands down!!!

Mercedes C63 AMG (6.2L NA V8 / 481 HP / 443 LB-FT Torque)
BMW M3 (4.0L NA V8 / 414 HP / 295 LB-FT Torque)

Actually any time a curve is added to the race course the M3 always wins. The C63 beats the M3 in a drag race, but loses in every other competition.

No really? This thread is around the amg, check title, thus bringing up 3 series irrelevant. Bring up m, relevant.

The M3 is a 3-Series!!!! The C63 is a C-Class!!!! Each is is the top of the line in their respective series/class

C Class vs. 3 Series
MB C300 competes with BMW 328i
MB C350 competes with BMW 335i
MB C63 AMG competes with BMW M3

You have to take the size of engines into account..
M3 is 4.0
C63 is 6.2
Thats 2.2 litres of a difference
So if the m3 had the same size engine it would probably have around 630hp!

M3 is 4.0
C63 is 6.2

The cars are about the same price and in the same class. So that's the point.... BMW chose to put a small engine in the M3 so they cant keep up with the C63 AMG, but it's actually not so much about the size of the engine but its performance. The new AMG engine is actually smaller at 5.5L but is more powerful at 557 HP, substantially more than the M3's 414 HP.

My original post was that the C63 in question competes with the M3, not the M5.

Someone else agreed, and said that the C competes with the 3, as a class/series and that the E competes with the 5.

I'd say knowing what cars compete is relevant when comparing two cars.

And if you look at size, the Ford Mondeo is actually more spacious than the two of them.

Shame I don't think it's in GT5, would love to tune one up and thrash M3s with it :P

But yeah, M3 would be a better comparison to the C63.

In reality the two arnt in the same class.... I work for Mercedes-Benz, and the C class would be more Comperable to the 3 Series BMW. The E63.. not on the game, would be more comparable to the M5... The E55 is on there though. Anyway. Just throwing that out there.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either purchasing either one, which is why I purchased both cars. C63 vs M5 isn't a fair comparison and with that being said, it's a shame that GT5 doesn't have the E63 to fairly match-up against the M5.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either purchasing either one, which is why I purchased both cars. C63 vs M5 isn't a fair comparison and with that being said, it's a shame that GT5 doesn't have the E63 to fairly match-up against the M5.

They should have put my car in the game... Mercedes CLS63 AMG!
It eats M5's for breakfast!

3622272127_6a760e3b39.jpg

3623091070_b96fd586b1.jpg

Hey guys i didn't mean to cause a big debate about the classes and which cars are comparable. The reason i didn't use the M3 in this is because i don't feel like it is classified as a Full size sedan like the c63 or M5 they are both bigger and thus have bigger motors to lug them around. I feel like putting a M3 up againt a C63 merc would prove nothing. If you parked a M3 beside a C63 merc would you really think their in the same class? I think not

They should have put my car in the game... Mercedes CLS63 AMG!
It eats M5's for breakfast!

Our neighbors have one of those, and I'm not sure if it's aftermarket exhaust or not, but it shakes the windows sometimes when it starts up :D

You know that there is a 4-door M3 available (right, not ingame)? Regarding to the car size they are in the same class:

c70c9_bmw-m3-vs-mercedes-c63-amg-photo4-655x423.jpg

Im speaking about the cars that are in the game which is a 2 door M3. The only other 4 door BMW i believe is a 330i but i could be wrong thier might be another.

Ok now since you seem hell bent on proving me wrong get the 2 door M3 and put them together. That is the comparison you are trying to make not a 4 door M3 that is not even in the game.

I've driven both M5 and C63 in game and IRL, IRL the C63 is much more agressive than it appears, and not to mention the super harsh ride with the AMG package option. The M5 by comparison is much more civilized. Their RL lap times at the ring are about the same but somehow, in the game, the M5 is made much faster than IRL. So for GT5, M5 is the faster car, but not really so IRL...

Im speaking about the cars that are in the game which is a 2 door M3. The only other 4 door BMW i believe is a 330i but i could be wrong thier might be another.

Ok now since you seem hell bent on proving me wrong get the 2 door M3 and put them together. That is the comparison you are trying to make not a 4 door M3 that is not even in the game.

I hate to belabor this even more, but the number of doors doesn't determine car class, neither does engine size. I may be wrong, but I think the E Class AMG of the same generation has the same engine as the C-Class.

The C and the 3 are both the "entry level" sports sedan/coupe factory tuned or not. BMW could stick a bigger engine in there if they wanted, but they don't, they're still quite comparable and the decision would likely come down to personal taste as they're quite different animals as many have pointed out.

There is a last gen E55 AMG and last gen M5 if one wanted to compare more apples/apples.

In other news, an entertaining and relevant top gear clip with the M3, C63 and RS4 battling it out. 👍 I can't get it to embed though :dunce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY

It's common knowledge that the C-Class and the 3-Series are in direct competition. So it's obvious the C63 AMG is made to directly compete with the M3.... And beats it hands down!!!

Does it?

Btw, in Germany, AMG is pronounced "I am gay" :P

On the Top Gear test track, I'm 1 second faster with the M5... Although the C63 is quicker in the corners, the M5 eats it on the straights.
And with the Lexus, I'm .462 off my C63s time.

The reason i didn't use the M3 in this is because i don't feel like it is classified as a Full size sedan like the c63 or M5 they are both bigger and thus have bigger motors to lug them around. I feel like putting a M3 up againt a C63 merc would prove nothing. If you parked a M3 beside a C63 merc would you really think their in the same class? I think not

You do realize the C63 AMG (C Class) is not a full size sedan, and neither is the M5 (5 Series). The C63/M3 are considered a small sedans/coupes and the M5/E63/CLS63 are mid-size sedans. The 760iL (7 series) and the S63/S65 (S Class) are FULL SIZE sedans.

Last edited:
M3 is 4.0
C63 is 6.2

No, it's not really unfair, because the engine characteristics are completely different. Both manufacturers chose a certain way to deliver the power.

It's often used as an argument, yet people seem to forget that Mercedes-Benz possibly builds the best engines in Formula 1, which indeed are high-revving and deliver a very respectable amount of power.

Actually the E-Class is smaller than the 5-Series.

It's more like:

Mercedes CLS63 AMG (5.5L Bi-Turbo V8 / 557 HP / 590 LB-FT Torque)
BMW M5 (5.0 NA V10 / 500 HP / 383 LB-FT Torque)

Mercedes S65 AMG (6.0L Bi-Turbo V12 / 604 HP / 738 LB-FT Torque)
BMW 760Li (6.0L Turbo V12 / 544 HP / 553 LB-FT Torque)

Looks like Mercedes AMG beats out BMW M easily!!!

Finally Some One Notices Merc's Are Better Than BMW's!!!

I like the M5 better in stock form. tuned it just goes nuts and has a lot of understeer.
the C63 is a different beast, and i like the lines of the C63 better.

Apples to oranges... The CTS-V is a small sedan in the same class as the M3 not M5.

+1

Small Sedan
Audi A4
Mercedes-Benz C-Class
BMW 3-Series
Cadillac CTS
Lexus IS-F

Mid-Size
Audi A6
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
BMW 5-Series

Full-Size