Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BBC radio was talking about him overnight. Apparently he had something to do with the peace process as well as being a bad guy for a number of years.

He was a former IRA commander who later became an MLA (member of the Northern Ireland devolved Assembly) and long-time deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland to counterweight domination by Unionist politicians.

His early life as an alleged torturer and executioner for the IRA overshadowed his later life as a politician.

As someone who grew up almost entirely outside the troubles it is very weird to know Martin the politician, but have to read about Martin the terrorist in a history book, as if they were two different people.............instinctively I'd probably remember the former before the latter - as I suspect most people my age and younger will, which is an interesting thought in itself.

But it's hard to know what to make of it really. The only thing that seems pretty clear is the easiest - and perhaps only - way for the peace process to significantly move forward, is to wait for all those associated with the conflict to be buried in the ground.........

BBC radio was talking about him overnight. Apparently he had something to do with the peace process as well as being a bad guy for a number of years.

As someone who lived through the 'troubles' in the 70's and 80's, I will say I hope you rot in hell McGuinness

He was a murdering scumbag terrorist.

You could argue that at least some good came of his political career in increased, although not total, stability in Northern Ireland. However, this does not justify how he rose through the ranks of a terrorist organisation to be in a position to take a seat at the political table in the first place.

You could argue that at least some good came of his political career in increased, although not total, stability in Northern Ireland. However, this does not justify how he rose through the ranks of a terrorist organisation to be in a position to take a seat at the political table in the first place.

You could argue that, but he killed and tortured multiple people, and was a senior leader of an organisation that bombed civilians.

What came afterwards is irrelevant in my opinion. He should have spent his life rotting in jail.

The veneration he is getting in a lot of media outlets is almost saintly.

Ridiculous... though maybe not a surprise if the journalists are too young to remember what life was like in NI in the 70/80's... and to a lesser degree, in the UK over the same period.

Norman Tebbit came out and called McGuinness a coward and says that he only turned to politics to avoid murder charges.

Fine. Five of his friends died and his wife was paralysed in the 1984 Brighton bombing.

But his policy of accentuating the negatives and ignoring any positives seems at odds with his words on Sir James Savile OBE:

Norman Tebbit
Jimmy did a great deal of good, as well as wrong. And in anybody's life, you have to look at both sides of the ledger.

In that binary way, you're either going to call Martin McGuinness a terrorist or a politician. But is it even possible to conciliate the two halves of his life?

Much like with Castro a few months back, the death of such a polarising figure like Martin McGuinness rarely leads to a unanimous obituary and recognition.

Perhaps if he had initiated the peace process and was a key driver there might be room for some sympathy... but IIRC, the IRA came kicking and screaming to the table and were primarily interested in securing the release of multiple murderers held in NI jails.

As for Tebbit... well, he's still alive, so I'll hold my thoughts to myself.

As for Tebbit... well, he's still alive, so I'll hold my thoughts to myself.

His wife was crippled for life though, I think the scenes of her being carried from the rubble are some of the most "memorable" of the bombing.

Is it true that Thatcher took the blast straight in the face... then re-did her makeup and went straight to a meeting?

Of course I feel for Tebbit in that regard, but as a politician he was hateful.

Maggie was in front of the cameras shortly after the explosion. She was a formidable person.

I seem to be Mr. Unsympathetic today... she committed the offences that, in her postion, constituted a grave oversight. Why should her appeal have succeeded?

One of her previous offences was for excessive speeding, given that it was a six-pointer.
I didn't suggest her appeal should have succeeded. I just sympathised with her present predicament given that it was a relatively minor infraction that led to her being banned as opposed to a second instance of excessive speeding. I know that's the way the system works though.

35mph in a 30mph zone is below the advisory threshold from the ACPO, which isn't legislated but suggests that up to +10% +2mph should not be considered for prosecution.

So unlucky, Susie. But you can hardly say with 12pt for speeding that: 'I'm not a girl racer, I save my speed for the race track.'...

I seem to be Mr. Unsympathetic today... she committed the offences that, in her postion, constituted a grave oversight. Why should her appeal have succeeded?

One of her previous offences was for excessive speeding, given that it was a six-pointer.
I was about to point out that you don't get to 9 points on your licence for just a couple of minor offences.

I'm sure between her an Toto they can afford the odd taxi.

I was about to point out that you don't get to 9 points on your licence for just a couple of minor offences.

I'm sure between her an Toto they can afford the odd taxi.
Is it fair to say that it's analogous to receiving 29 points on GTP & then giving a middle finger to a calm warning?

35mph would probably be 38 plus on her speedo.

Happened to my wife a couple of years ago... she managed to get herself banned on a tot up... nothing major, just multiple minor speeding offenses. Court was having none of her 'exceptional hardship' claim, and banned her (which surprised me, as I've managed to avoid bans on 3 occasions using that - I had to drive around for almost 2 years with 15 points at one stage!).

Made me mr taxi service for 6 months FFS.

My 995 over 3mph consistently up to c.90.

My old DS5 over read 2mph consistently up to 50, then 3-4mph up to 90.

...the advisory threshold from the ACPO, which isn't legislated but suggests that up to +10% +2mph should not be considered for prosecution.

If i can raise a question about this Famine, as it's not the first time you have mentioned this. Are these guidelines based on an indicated speed on the instrument binnacle, being followed by Her Majesty's finest, or measured with equipment? I only ask because I drive above the indicated speed limit, but I have calibrated it against GPS and those boards that display your speed.

What's the likelihood of being stopped at this little above the limit? I guess it depends on how much of an a*** the copper is.

If i can raise a question about this Famine, as it's not the first time you have mentioned this. Are these guidelines based on an indicated speed on the instrument binnacle, being followed by Her Majesty's finest, or measured with equipment? I only ask because I drive above the indicated speed limit, but I have calibrated it against GPS and those boards that display your speed.

What's the likelihood of being stopped at this little above the limit? I guess it depends on how much of an a*** the copper is.
The only speed that matters is the one it says on the equipment that the police are using to measure it.

A prosecution below +10% +3mph is very, very rare, and fixed cameras are often set much higher still, but it is a guideline only. In theory a +1mph speed could see you prosecuted.

Edit: Oooof :lol:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back