Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meanwhile, Glasgow is to get its first ever 'sky bar' and, according to the Evening Times, "the city will join other global destinations including Shanghai, New York, Singapore, Paris and London in having a rooftop terrace bar." :lol:

I can imagine that it will become a popular hang-out for meteorologists, masochists, sea gulls and aerodynamics students who will take advantage of the unique opportunities presented by being outdoors at altitude in Glasgow city centre.

Meanwhile, Glasgow is to get its first ever 'sky bar' and, according to the Evening Times, "the city will join other global destinations including Shanghai, New York, Singapore, Paris and London in having a rooftop terrace bar." :lol:

I can imagine that it will become a popular hang-out for meteorologists, masochists, sea gulls and aerodynamics students who will take advantage of the unique opportunities presented by being outdoors at altitude in Glasgow city centre.

In fairness there's probably little difference in the shuddering climate at street level.

Is it too soon for a helicopter joke?

And Bratislava. Don't forget global destination Bratislava. It's only 7-8 floors high but it is called Lemon Tree Sky Bar.

No jokes about Glasgow behind behind a former communist country. ;)

9b1fc79656dc14358d66a71bc49fe82e.jpg

Meanwhile, can someone please explain what the hell is going on with Labour and Ken Livingstone right now? OK, I take that back - I really don't care that much, but it looks a lot like Labour are hammering the final nail into their coffin. I'm I right in saying that Livingstone once said that Hitler supported zionism, and this upset a lot of Jewish people (and Labour MPs) and he got suspended from the Labour party, only to be suspended again for saying it again - and now some Labour MPs (and the Chief Rabbi) are VERY upset and calling for Livingstone to be perma-banned, but Livingstone refuses to apologise for saying that 'Hitler was a Zionist' because that's not what he said, but Labour want him to apologise for it anyway?

What he means by "Hitler supported Zionism" is that before the NSDAP stopped pretending it wasn't anti-Semetic, in the early 1930s the NSDAP wasn't opposed to the idea of deporting all Jews to the Middle East so that they were no longer Europe's problem.

The important thing here is that they weren't opposed to it but that doesn't mean they supported it. It was a passive acknowledgement that to them, "Yes, if all the Jews were in the Middle East then they wouldn't be in Germany or Europe."

We all know what happened when they said "Actually, we have a better, more direct plan".

Ken just... I don't know. I'm not defending what he said. It's not a poor choice of words, it's the completely wrong thing to say.

Meanwhile, can someone please explain what the hell is going on with Labour and Ken Livingstone right now? OK, I take that back - I really don't care that much, but it looks a lot like Labour are hammering the final nail into their coffin. I'm I right in saying that Livingstone once said that Hitler supported zionism, and this upset a lot of Jewish people (and Labour MPs) and he got suspended from the Labour party, only to be suspended again for saying it again - and now some Labour MPs (and the Chief Rabbi) are VERY upset and calling for Livingstone to be perma-banned, but Livingstone refuses to apologise for saying that 'Hitler was a Zionist' because that's not what he said, but Labour want him to apologise for it anyway?
Haaretz seems to have a comprehensive rundown. Sounds like this ought to be in the Political Correctness thread as I'm not sure his original statement said anything about Hitler supporting any part of Zionism besides the repatriation part (presumably he was a Rastafarian as well). Unfortunately many drops make a shower and the ex-mayor appears to have marked his card on multiple occasions.

ETA: I was rather hoping this was a discussion thread rather than one which used cartoons in lieu of discussion but nvm I guess.

Last edited:
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F778e487e-1a21-11e7-a725-c619aa6571c2.jpg

Yes, and not only populists and libertarians, but also greens and Bernie-ites who preferred Trump to Hillary.
It's a good thing we don't have any of those over here then. :confused: Our greens didn't even want him to set foot in the country.

Last edited:
H.A.Goodman is a good example of a Stein supporter who preferred Trump to Hillary. It's down to the corruption issues.
I think he'd be a better example were he based over here given the focus of this thread, though. *shrugs*

H.A.Goodman is a good example of a Stein supporter who preferred Trump to Hillary. It's down to the corruption issues.
I'd laugh if he wasn't serious. :rolleyes: I hope Goodman doesn't have kids who'll live to suffer the consequences of Trump letting the oil-igators roam free in his swamp.

Today was the first day at work that I had to spend the whole time on the shop floor greeting customers and helping them out because like you two you get a lot of one-timers that only get on the Grand National. It's normally the same people every day, which is quite despressing when you realise how much money they're throwing away, even if it keeps us in business.

Today was the first day at work that I had to spend the whole time on the shop floor greeting customers and helping them out because like you two you get a lot of one-timers that only get on the Grand National. It's normally the same people every day, which is quite depressing when you realise how much money they're throwing away, even if it keeps us in business.

I feel your pain. Ten years of working for William Hill when the industry was full of proper intelligent punters, those days are long gone. Nowadays you're just babysitting the machines, and there are no traditional punters any more, just ARBers and those that bet on anything that moves. Best thing I ever did was to get out.

I feel your pain. Ten years of working for William Hill when the industry was full of proper intelligent punters, those days are long gone. Nowadays you're just babysitting the machines, and there are no traditional punters any more, just ARBers and those that bet on anything that moves. Best thing I ever did was to get out.
Is there a reason for this? Or is it as simple as "online gambling"?

Online gambling has taken a lot of business out of stores. The branch I work in still does perfectly well because 90% of our customers are retired men that are bored (and apparently have a bottomless pit of money), and there's nothing to do in Corsham except drink and gamble. There is a huge social element in getting people to come to the shops instead of doing it all on their phones as well.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm quite interested by what you say.

I've been out of the industry for three years now, so when I first started working for William Hill it was in 2004. At the time, they were the last of the big companies to be using manual tills, with carbon slips which had two parts to them; it was put through the till with the date, time and stake stamped by the tills on the bottom, and the bets had to be settled manually using a marker sheet and your brain - if you needed more, an OTT or betting calculator was available in every store. Customers used to come in and treat the betting shop as a social environment - cheaper than a pub, and you can have a chat.

With the advent of EPOS tills, bets could be settled quicker, meaning that more and more meetings could be added. Suddenly, the industry went from 4 horse meetings and 3 dogs every day, up to 10 horses, 8 dogs and 7-8 virtual race (random number generating games, disguised as horse races, dog races or motor racing) meetings. The massive influx of meetings and available races meant that the quality horses were being spread thinner and thinner, making the racing crap and unenjoyable. This also coincided with an increase in the maximum stake allowed on the gaming machines, and the speed at which players could play increased - now down to 2.5 seconds per spin for fruit machines style games and 25 seconds per roulette spin.

Traditional punters who would spend the time to study the form and make informed decisions stopped betting because the races were poor quality, and the younger betters coming up have no idea how to read form and make a good choice. This lead to the increase of three types of customers; those who would bet on anything that moved - dogs, horses and virtual racing, basing their selections on prices and previous results (absolute garbage on virtual racing, previous races does nothing to affect the current result); the second type of customer who would pump a week's wage into the machines to play roulette covering the entire board with 5p chips just kill time and lose the absolute minimum; and the final type who are called ARBers - people who cheat the system by attempting to put as large amount of money as possible on horses they have laid on the betting exchanges like BetFair. This works by laying at a higher price but less money than they place the bet at. Doing this guarantees them a profit because they try to ARB in as many bookies as possible before the price moves. The social element of the betting shop still exists, but only within small groups, and by shouting at each other over loud machines and louder commentary.

With loud machines and and louder customers, traditional customers were driven away from the stores - combined with shops that could take tiny bets on decent markets thereby limiting the customer's ability to place decent bets - drove the decent punters away, leaving only the three types above. By pushing customers online, it means that the betting companies can run their stores for less, and even close some down in affluent, betting-based areas (poorer areas tend to have more machines punters), meaning they can make more of a profit. This means online offers can be much better than in-store.

Add into this the permanent Sword of Damocles hanging over the head of every member of staff if they don't ask for age verification of mystery customers and being sacked for it, made significantly harder because most of the time there is only one person on shift with a cashier for three hours of the day, and the industry now is thoroughly unpleasant place to work in. I miss the old days of betting, but they've gone and are not coming back.

TL/DR; greedy betting shops forced the punters online.

@DG_Silva I appreciate you taking the time to post. It's gotten me thinking that an old-school bookies with wise, veteran gamblers offering life experience to ungrateful yuppies would make a great Ken Loach film.

These days there's very little maths involved on our part apart from counting cash. You put the slip through the scanner and tell the computer what the stake is, then it gives suggestions of the type(s) of bet(s) and tells you if you've over or under-staked, and on days like the Grand National and for football matches there are pre-made slips where you just tick the right boxes and the computer reads and captures it all for you. We did about 1800 slips yesterday.

@DG_Silva I appreciate you taking the time to post. It's gotten me thinking that an old-school bookies with wise, veteran gamblers offering life experience to ungrateful yuppies would make a great Ken Loach film.

Yeah, I can see that working, like a real life story. It does make it sound like old betting days were romantic in a way, it wasn't - it was pretty crap. Going home at the end of a 12 hour shift stinking of cigarettes, especially when you don't smoke, smart arse comments from customers who don't leave you alone, and many other issues besides made it sometimes a bad place to work. However, the friendly customers who had a genuine love for the sport and not the money really made it an enjoyable place to work.

Due to the increase in gaming machines, there is a marked increase in violence towards staff and desperation from the customers. It's a shame, but you can pinpoint the change in the industry at one point in time - the introduction of the gambling Commission. When this was introduced, the changes in the laws regarding gaming machines were very heavily relaxed, and it changed the dynamic within the industry for the customers from one of enjoyment to one of pure greed, mainly due to the instant gratification of the games.

...pre-made slips where you just tick the right boxes and the computer reads and captures it all for you. We did about 1800 slips yesterday.

My first Grand National back in 2005 was when we had to manually settle with the carbon slips. Admittedly we were in a grade A shop, but we did 3200 slips. We had 7 of us working, five of us settling the bets and two paying out. It still took us 20 minutes to get enough bets settled so we can start paying the customers out. There was a queue of customers from the paying out till (yes, that was a thing), under the TVs, across the far wall up to the door (about 20-25 people), waiting to be paid out but we managed to get them all settled within an hour of the race finishing, then piling into the pub next door for drinks on the company! Those were the days....

My first Grand National back in 2005 was when we had to manually settle with the carbon slips. Admittedly we were in a grade A shop, but we did 3200 slips. We had 7 of us working, five of us settling the bets and two paying out. It still took us 20 minutes to get enough bets settled so we can start paying the customers out. There was a queue of customers from the paying out till (yes, that was a thing), under the TVs, across the far wall up to the door (about 20-25 people), waiting to be paid out but we managed to get them all settled within an hour of the race finishing, then piling into the pub next door for drinks on the company! Those were the days....

There a six of us working at my branch, two were on holiday so we had four of us with me on the shop floor all day helping people fill out the pre-made slips and that captured by the computer to save time, with the other three each taking turns to join me whilst the other two stayed behind the counter. We've only had about half our customers return for their winnings so far.

Back