Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The SNP are going to me even more unbearable than usual for the next 2 months...
They should change to the SMP - Scottish Moaning Party. If Sturgeon actually bothered to do some politics rather than moaning, she wouldn't need to complain.

The Conservatives probably knew she wanted to do this election, so have been preparing their campaign, and waited until now to announce it so they can get a jump start on all the other parties while they spend a few days scrabbling everything to get her to produce a meaningful election campaign

Some of the comments in here are hilarious...

May can't call an election without support from the opposition... 2/3rds of all MP's must support the motion.... so a minimum of 134 non-Tory MP's (assuming all 330 Tory MP's vote to support).

If the opposition aren't ready they only need to vote against it.

I wonder, would Corbyn face another backbench rebellion in the vote for calling an early GE?

May can't call an election without support from the opposition... 2/3rds of all MP's must support the motion.... so a minimum of 134 non-Tory MP's (assuming all 330 Tory MP's vote to support).

Why the 'tude?

An election can actually be called with a simple majority in certain circumstances - that's also provided for in the new Act.

DK
I wonder, would Corbyn face another backbench rebellion in the vote for calling an early GE?
This is Corbyn's make or break moment assuming the election goes ahead. If he does better than Ed in 2015 then I think he is set but if he doesn't then I see no option for him but to resign.

Except all the parties have to show that they are willing to fight "hard Brexit". And by that i mean Labour and the SNP. They'll get the votes.

Given the allegations about Tim Farron being a homophobe and his response to whether he believes homosexuality is sinful was "Well, we're all sinners" I don't think the Lib Dems will sweep up as much as you might think.

Given the allegations about Tim Farron being a homophobe and his response to whether he believes homosexuality is sinful was "Well, we're all sinners" I don't think the Lib Dems will sweep up as much as you might think.
In his defence, his personal religious convictions don't necessarily have to impact his political actions. I certainly haven't seen any sign that he intends to push his private religious views in the party.

In his defence, his personal religious convictions don't necessarily have to impact his political actions. I certainly haven't seen any sign that he intends to push his private religious views in the party.

I don't disagree with you but the electorate is equally entitled to say "Sorry, this particular religious belief is not acceptable in 2017 regardless of whether you're a decent chap who doesn't judge".

Then again, his voting record on LGBT issues is much better than the Good Christian:

C9sRVRlWsAEIXgg.jpg

May can't call an election without support from the opposition... 2/3rds of all MP's must support the motion....
Sure, but woe betide any political party that says no to an election, lest they be forever deemed 'undemocratic'; Corbyn has since said he welcomes a general election, and the SNP have little to fear from such a move either - if anything it gives the opposition a chance they weren't expecting to get, so why would they oppose it? May's confidence that she can solidify support behind her Brexit agenda could easily backfire, but something tells me that there will not be any significant changes between the 2015 and 2017 results, other than the fact that Theresa May will be able to say that she is a genuinely elected leader (well, as far as that is possible in UK politics at least).

I can't believe how much of a turbow:censored:k the Heil are having over this.

I'd love for there to be TV debates this time.

It's not really on for May to refuse debates. There's been a lot of unexpected electoral results recently, she can't simply assume that she'll still be in power in six weeks and doesn't need to campaign or defend herself.

I'm pretty sure that both wank and turbowank are free of censorship. And hilariously appropriate. I would have also accepted ultratug and hyperhandie.

Good to know. The last thing I would have wanted was to break the AUP thanks to the Heil.

May has zero conviction, is the ultimate opportunist and will duck TV debates and any concrete Brexit plans until after the election. How the hell does anyone think she'll have 27 trade deals lined up on day one?

It's not really on for May to refuse debates. There's been a lot of unexpected electoral results recently, she can't simply assume that she'll still be in power in six weeks and doesn't need to campaign or defend herself.
The debates aren't yet the core of British politics, they're still quite early days.

I'd happily see her empty-seated and then a mad scramble as polls start to go against her.

The more cynical part of me wouldn't give him that much sympathy. If his personal views do inform his politics, that would be awful (imo). If he's abandoning his own principles and morals just so he can chase some more votes, that would also be pretty awful............that's not necessarily what he's doing either, but I would find it harder to trust whether he really does believe in fighting for such issues, rather than just putting up with them.

The more cynical part of me wouldn't give him that much sympathy. If his personal views do inform his politics, that would be awful (imo). If he's abandoning his own principles and morals just so he can chase some more votes, that would also be pretty awful............that's not necessarily what he's doing either, but I would find it harder to trust whether he really does believe in fighting for such issues, rather than just putting up with them.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm inclined to believe he's taking Matthew 22:21 and Romans 13:1 seriously, i.e. there's a time and place for politics, and a time and place for religion.

It's possible his political views have softened as well, but either way I can't see myself voting Lib Dem, not after that whole Clegg incident. Fool me once...

Not that it matters either way, unless Oliver Heald doesn't stand I can't see my area being anything but Conservative, and even then it seems dubious that his successor would be from another party. He does a good job around here either way and is, according to my mother who pretty much always votes Labour, a nice man. Maybe I'll meet him next time I get an opportunity so I can make up my own mind.

Matthew 22:21

I've always interpreted that one to be solely about paying taxes, I wasn't aware it was also applied to how Christians should govern, interesting. :)

Latest Posts

Back