Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Proper peers are named after land and have their own names too (although sometimes they adopted the name of the land as their surname). Officially Lord Kelvin was William Thompson, 1st Baron Kelvin.

So "Henry Royd, the Viscount Waine" would work :D
I'd only want one name if I was a Lord.
Something like Lord Chadwick.

Proper peers are named after land and have their own names too (although sometimes they adopted the name of the land as their surname). Officially Lord Kelvin was William Thompson, 1st Baron Kelvin.

So "Henry Royd, the Viscount Waine" would work :D
Cool. I'm a Lord then. Is there a free bar in the Lords paid for by those commoner rif raf called tax payers?

It is easy to accuse Tory MPs of being stuck in the past but they don't help themselves when Mumsnet personified, Andrea Leadsom, says that Jane Austen is one of "our greatest living authors" on the launch of the new ten pound note.

It is easy to accuse Tory MPs of being stuck in the past but they don't help themselves when Mumsnet personified, Andrea Leadsom, says that Jane Austen is one of "our greatest living authors" on the launch of the new ten pound note.

I was going to make the Pride & Prejudice & Zombies joke but somebody in the tweet replies beat me to it.

Do you guys think the whole acid attack thing is a response to gun control?
My first guess is no.
Guns are sold and carried illegally in the UK (as well as legally).
If acid attackers target people at random then it's a sick game. If they're targeting somebody specifically they have the option to choose any weapon.

We want guns so we are going to show why we can't be trusted with guns????

But no. Acid is one of those things that are hard to control before medics arrive. I mean with a gunshot you can put pressure on the wound etc but acid you can't do anything unless you are for some reason carrying 10 litres of water with you.

No no, I think you know what I mean - that people are finding new creative weapons in the face of weapon bans.
Acid (and bleach, and similar) is a 'shame' weapon. It's not used because you want to kill or injure, but because you want to permanently disfigure (and/or blind) the victim's face while leaving them otherwise unharmed.

There's a certain popularity with it among communities which have some exacting standards for women. Where women do not behave according to the community's standards (like marrying outside the community, being 'immodest' or overly forthright), they are mutilated so that everyone knows that they have not behaved appropriately and become pariahs.

No.

In other news Sir Vince Cable has become the leader of the Liberal Democrats after no opposition was offered. Hard to oppose something when you're a transparent, blood-drained husk slowly, silently spinning in the darkness of his loft.

Acid (and bleach, and similar) is a 'shame' weapon. It's not used because you want to kill or injure, but because you want to permanently disfigure (and/or blind) the victim's face while leaving them otherwise unharmed.

There's a certain popularity with it among communities which have some exacting standards for women. Where women do not behave according to the community's standards (like marrying outside the community, being 'immodest' or overly forthright), they are mutilated so that everyone knows that they have not behaved appropriately and become pariahs.

But you can use it to make a threat. A water bottle or a balloon, even if it's just water, can be used to coerce someone into giving up their wallet in the way that a gun might have been used. Is this not a technique? Is acid really primarily being used in retaliation for perceived transgressions?

Is this not a technique?
I'd hesitate to definitively say no, but I don't believe I've heard of any threats to use acid, just the use of it.

It's a coward's tool - run up, throw it, run away in the panic - and honestly knives are so much easier to get hold of and a lot scarier than a clear liquid that may be acid but, if it's in a PTFE water bottle, probably isn't..

Is acid really primarily being used in retaliation for perceived transgressions?
Yep.

I'd hesitate to definitively say no, but I don't believe I've heard of any threats to use acid, just the use of it.

It's a coward's tool - run up, throw it, run away in the panic - and honestly knives are so much easier to get hold of and a lot scarier than a clear liquid that may be acid but, if it's in a PTFE water bottle, probably isn't..

Yep.

K, good to know. This came up as a British phenomenon on the Phillip DeFranco youtube show the other day and that angle (that this is a technique for shaming people for unapproved behavior) was never mentioned.

K, good to know. This came up as a British phenomenon on the Phillip DeFranco youtube show the other day and that angle was never mentioned.
It's certainly becoming more notable here, but for the hotspots you'll need to look more to the east - Bangladesh in particular, but also India and Pakistan.

It's certainly becoming more notable here, but for the hotspots you'll need to look more to the east - Bangladesh in particular, but also India and Pakistan.

One angle that was mentioned, in regard to being British, was that it's classed as something of a "lesser" offense. I think this is why it was being brought up, because the rise in acid attacks was resulting in discussion about changing in sentencing.

One angle that was mentioned, in regard to being British, was that it's classed as something of a "lesser" offense. I think this is why it was being brought up, because the rise in acid attacks was resulting in discussion about changing in sentencing.
I think that's probably the case. Chucking acid at someone would be classed as assault - amusingly (or not) the same as spitting at them, urinating (or any other bodily ejecta) on them, throwing petrol on them and suchlike. Stabbing them would be likely be a more serious crime, like assault with injury or assault with intent to kill.

No, but it's been a convenient way around stop and search laws. Whilst anything can be considered a weapon in UK law, police would be hard pressed to identify a clear, odourless liquid in a bottle as anything but water.

And as already discussed, it's a "lesser" offence with a different outcome to knife (though it unusual for a knife or razor to be used to disfigure) or gun attack.

Quite shocked at the news because he is one of these personalities that seems to transcend time. It's like he has been around for an eternity and you just expect them to keep ticking and outlive us all!

I do watch Strictly Come Dancing and he was a real character, one of the last golden era British entertainers. Such a shame.

Bruce Forsyth's dead.

Damn, I had him on the works Deadpool which was scrapped in case someone got offended.

Sad to see him go though, he was a class act when he was on form. Not so much in the last few years of him being on TV.

Back