Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A bucket inside a Lidl bag on fire. Don't know what ingredients were in the bucket. Also don't know to what extent there was an explosion; little substantive reports other than a bang.

Very few reports of injuries/fatalities so far. Two people treated for burns.

A bucket inside a Lidl bag on fire. Don't know what ingredients were in the bucket. Also don't know to what extent there was an explosion; little substantive reports other than a bang.

Very few reports of injuries/fatalities so far. Two people treated for burns.

The accompanying photo shows no damage to anything close to it. Sounds like if it was a bomb it didn't go off as expected. Thankfully.

Terrorism only wins because a 15-litre plastic paint tub lightly on fire in a Lidl cool bag in Fulham is the first three stories on BBC News homepage, in extra-special large font.

Daily Mail has gone to town on it. They said there was a fireball down a train carriage and are implying there might be a second bomb.

Terrorism only wins because a 15-litre plastic paint tub lightly on fire in a Lidl cool bag in Fulham is the first three stories on BBC News homepage, in extra-special large font.
Someone sends a fireball through a subway car, burning several people and they should bury it on the back page?

Someone sends a fireball through a subway car, burning several people and they should bury it on the back page?

I don't think that was the suggestion but it's about a proportionate response to a murder attempt, politically-motivated or not.

And Subway is a sandwich shop, not a sort of train, and trains don't have cars anyway :)

I don't think that was the suggestion but it's about a proportionate response to a murder attempt, politically-motivated or not.

And Subway is a sandwich shop, not a sort of train, and trains don't have cars anyway :)
Curious to know where you think attempted mass murder of strangers by fire in an enclosed public space should go in the papers and on the telly. What would a proportionate response be?

a fireball through a subway car, burning several people
See? Straight into the emotive language.

Some absolute numpty sets light to a 15 litre tub of B&Q Colours Plain White inside a Lidl cool bag in the arse end of nowhereland at Wrong'o'Clock in the morning. That's apparently all it takes to tell everyone how terrified we should be of the evil terrorists who SENT A FIREBALL THROUGH A SUBWAY CAR, BURNING SEVERAL PEOPLE.

Personally, as "BBC News homepage" is part of a website and doesn't have a back page per se, I'd stick it near the top of London news (because it's relevant to London), certainly after the disappearance of Clarke Carlisle (mental health campaigner) and the emergency landing at East Midlands for UK news, and some considerable distance behind the missile launch from Pyongyang and the end of the Cassini mission on the homepage.

But by all means, let's spread the message of terror and jam it in the entirety of the first page of the homepage, with at least nine links and close-up pictures of the 'bomb' and the faces of terrified people (titled "WE RAN FOR OUR LIVES", "IT WAS A HUMAN CRUSH", "THERE WAS A FIREBALL ABOVE MY HEAD", "PANIC AND STAMPEDE").

Rather than laughing at the inept cheap-ass dimwit who shops at Lidl and basically couldn't even set off a crap firework in a train carriage.

Some absolute numpty sets light to a 15 litre tub of B&Q Colours Plain White inside a Lidl cool bag in the arse end of nowhereland at Wrong'o'Clock in the morning. That's apparently all it takes to tell everyone how terrified we should be of the evil terrorists who SENT A FIREBALL THROUGH A SUBWAY CAR, BURNING SEVERAL PEOPLE.

Personally, as "BBC News homepage" is part of a website and doesn't have a back page per se, I'd stick it near the top of London news (because it's relevant to London), certainly after the disappearance of Clarke Carlisle (mental health campaigner) and the emergency landing at East Midlands for UK news, and some considerable distance behind the missile launch from Pyongyang and the end of the Cassini mission on the homepage.

But by all means, let's spread the message of terror and jam it in the entirety of the first page of the homepage, with at least nine links and close-up pictures of the 'bomb' and the faces of terrified people (titled "WE RAN FOR OUR LIVES", "IT WAS A HUMAN CRUSH", "THERE WAS A FIREBALL ABOVE MY HEAD", "PANIC AND STAMPEDE").

Rather than laughing at the inept cheap-ass dimwit who shops at Lidl and basically couldn't even set off a crap firework in a train carriage.

Oh, it hit the front page in a big way over here too. Your cheap-ass dimwit made front page headlines in at least two countries (we could get into a discussion of whether BBC is country-specific). It constituted headline news globally. That's how terrified everyone in the civilized world is by terrorism.

Google news still has it listed as the top story right now (at least for me), ahead of Cassini and North Korea.

Edit:
Front page Washington Post
Front page NY Times
Front page LA Times
Front page WSJ

Did not make the front page of the Denver Post
Did not make the front page of the SF Chronicle
Did not make the front page of the Austin American Statesman

Last edited:

Why not both?

A 19-year-old suspect has been arrested in Dover. I wonder what he might be doing there...

I heard about this whilst heading west-bound on the district line an hour or so after the incident occurred.

Literally, nobody gave a 🤬. I didn't even hear any service changes over the PA system.
Relevant:

It prompted The President of the USA to say the internet must be cut off. Somehow Bill Gates comes into that.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...en-tube-attack-explosion-latest-a7948141.html
:lol: That may be one of the funnier things he's said in quite some time. It seems he thinks that he just needs to march up to Bill Gates's house, ask him to turn off the internet, and that'll be that. His lack of understanding of the internet on so many levels is just amazing.

Good old Dara, he's so damn funny, especially on Mock The Week and he's not even playing!

The police have now raided an address of a couple in Surrey who provided accommodation and fostering to young to Syrian refugees.

You can already see where this is going...

It prompted The President of the USA to say the internet must be cut off. Somehow Bill Gates comes into that.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...en-tube-attack-explosion-latest-a7948141.html

tenor.gif

:lol: That may be one of the funnier things he's said in quite some time. It seems he thinks that he just needs to march up to Bill Gates's house, ask him to turn off the internet, and that'll be that. His lack of understanding of the internet on so many levels is just amazing.

Wrong. On many levels.

emotivefaminejpg_zpsefdtai64.jpg

I could believe that the venerable @Johnnypenso, and the mainstream media, were quoting the 'emotive' language used by an actual person on-the-spot:

Charlie Craven said he had just got on the train when the device exploded. "Literally within three seconds of putting your bag down, the doors just closing, we hear a loud explosion," he told Reuters.

"I looked around and saw this massive fireball ... coming down the carriage."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/london-tube-incident-sends-commuters-fleeing-police-scene-n801531

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/euro...ts-london-subway-explosion-passenger-stampede

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...evel-raised/story-6vZLVkHIqaI7R64OHIxDlJ.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/15/london-subway-station-terrorist-incident/

You can't imagine the emotions I would feel if it had been Mrs Fam and your brood of mini-Fams in that carriage when the flaming began - let alone if it wasn't only a faulty fuse.

Last edited:
Oh, it hit the front page in a big way over here too. Your cheap-ass dimwit made front page headlines in at least two countries (we could get into a discussion of whether BBC is country-specific). It constituted headline news globally. That's how terrified everyone in the civilized world is by terrorism.

Google news still has it listed as the top story right now (at least for me), ahead of Cassini and North Korea.

Edit:
Front page Washington Post
Front page NY Times
Front page LA Times
Front page WSJ

Did not make the front page of the Denver Post
Did not make the front page of the SF Chronicle
Did not make the front page of the Austin American Statesman
Top of the front page of the very liberal Seattle Times read thusly:

Britain's threat level "critical" after bomb ignites on subway
EXPLOSION, PANIC INJURE 29 IN NATION'S 5TH TERROR ATTACK THIS YEAR

Today it looks as though the family of the cheap-ass dimwit resented their 18 year old relative being fostered by rich friends of the queen. An understandable motive, I take it.

British Airways London bound plane has been evacuated at Paris Airport because of a 'direct security threat', police searching passengers on the runway with sniffer dogs.

Today it looks as though the family of the cheap-ass dimwit resented their 18 year old relative being fostered by rich friends of the queen. An understandable motive, I take it.
Have you got any kind of link to any further information on this aspect of the story? It's just that I'm having trouble trying to tie it into the main headline.

[EDIT] This is the closest I could find: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/17/parsons-green-tube-bomb-police-arrest-second-man

Last edited:
Have you got any kind of link to any further information on this aspect of the story? It's just that I'm having trouble trying to tie it into the main headline.

[EDIT] This is the closest I could find: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/17/parsons-green-tube-bomb-police-arrest-second-man
from your source:

"Residents said the property in Sunbury-on-Thames being searched by police was occupied by an elderly married couple known for fostering many children and young people over several decades. They were awarded MBEs in 2010.

Ronald Jones, 88, and his wife, Penelope, 71, who were honoured for services to children and families, are said to be staying with friends following the police raids.

One friend, Alison Griffiths, said the couple had been foster parents for almost 40 years and had taken in up to 300 children, including eight refugees, and had an 18-year-old staying with them recently.

Police scaled back the cordon around the property on Sunday and told residents there were no safety risks caused by the ongoing investigations. An inner cordon of 10 houses remained in place."

My UK source, routinely accorded legitimacy in the US, but usually not so much in this UK-centric thread, included scant additional details, but also large photos of the couple with the queen. Ethnicity/religion of the relatives was mentioned, as was their potentially negative emotional disposition.

edit: I might add that NPR (US's National Public Radio, very liberal) reported yesterday that ISIS had claimed responsibility for the attack, though this was perhaps akin to a spasm or nervous tic.

2nd edit: I suppose the realistic possibility exists the "dimwit" was sexually exploited at the foster parent's home. If so, the motivation becomes revenge for the exploitation or defilement of the child. If so, does another quotidian British sex-scandal become the uglier truth, or the more useful lie, to the motivation behind this act of terrorism?

3rd edit: Hot off the presses of the Daily Mail, juicy new details:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4892516/Second-man-21-arrested-Parsons-Green-bombing.html

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back