Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The British Film Institute have stripped Harvey Weinstein of his BFI Fellowship - take that Weinstein you swine! Hopefully this will serve as a warning to other bad men that the BFI will not tolerate such behaviour by its Fellows.

The British Film Institute have stripped Harvey Weinstein of his BFI Fellowship - take that Weinstein you swine! Hopefully this will serve as a warning to other bad men that the BFI will not tolerate such behaviour by its Fellows.
Isn't this all still alleged? Is he being prosecuted or sued by anyone for any of this?

Isn't this all still alleged? Is he being prosecuted or sued by anyone for any of this?
Funnily enough, my Dad and I made this same observation when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences expelled Weinstein at the weekend. I guess they don't need any legal justification, but I'm guessing that both the BFI and the Academy are pretty confident that they will not be proved wrong about the guy.

IMG-20171018-WA0000.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/london-now-dangerous-new-york-crime-stats-suggest/
Criminal justice experts insisted rising crime in the UK, and particularly London, was more to do with the way the city was policed and blamed the reduction in neighbourhood patrols across the capital.

While both London and New York have populations of around 8 million, figures suggest you are almost six times more likely to be burgled in the British capital than in the US city, and one and a half times more likely to fall victim to a robbery.

London has almost three times the number of reported rapes and while the murder rate in New York remains higher, the gap is narrowing dramatically.

The change in fortunes of the two global cities has been put down largely to the difference in tactics adopted by the two police forces.

Both Scotland Yard and the New York City Police Department (NYPD) have just over 30,000 officers each and budgets of around £3 billion a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/london-now-dangerous-new-york-crime-stats-suggest/
Criminal justice experts insisted rising crime in the UK, and particularly London, was more to do with the way the city was policed and blamed the reduction in neighbourhood patrols across the capital.

While both London and New York have populations of around 8 million, figures suggest you are almost six times more likely to be burgled in the British capital than in the US city, and one and a half times more likely to fall victim to a robbery.

London has almost three times the number of reported rapes and while the murder rate in New York remains higher, the gap is narrowing dramatically.

The change in fortunes of the two global cities has been put down largely to the difference in tactics adopted by the two police forces.

Both Scotland Yard and the New York City Police Department (NYPD) have just over 30,000 officers each and budgets of around £3 billion a year.
We may all be aware of the rising crime figures but you appear to have missed out the paragraphs which are relevant to my previous post:

above Telegraph article
Seizing on the figures, US President, Donald Trump, claimed the rise could be linked to the “spread of radical Islam”, adding that it demonstrated the need to “keep America safe”.

But critics dismissed his comments as “ignorant” and “divisive”, with former Labour leader Ed Miliband calling him an “absolute moron”.

We may all be aware of the rising crime figures but you appear to have missed out the paragraphs which are relevant to my previous post:
I was aware of it. But, off on my own path, I prefer to focus on facts rather than invective.

Curiosity Question

Have you ever known someone, or met someone, who has a BARB box for measuring television ratings?

I was watching an old clip from the excellent Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe which talked about how television ratings are calculated and the sample bias, and small sample chosen, highlighted how I'd never known anyone to ever have one.

Curiosity Question

Have you ever known someone, or met someone, who has a BARB box for measuring television ratings?

I was watching an old clip from the excellent Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe which talked about how television ratings are calculated and the sample bias, and small sample chosen, highlighted how I'd never known anyone to ever have one.

BARB's a load of tosh. Only 4000 out of the 27,000,000 UK households are given a BARB box. Hardly surprising that no one knows anyone whose ever had one.

Nope, but it's probably fairly unlikely any one of us would. I don't know the sample size used for BARB ratings, but if it's similar to other types of opinion polls - usually 1,000-2,000 - the chances that a random person is taking part will be 1 in thousands/tens-of-thousands.

As ever with opinion polls my beef isn't with the people who make them, but the people who report them.........don't think I've ever heard margin of error mentioned in any TV ratings news piece.

I know profitability is one thing yet historically TV bosses have focused on ratings like they're oxygenated blood.

It seems weird given that ratings are pretty much bunk.

Watching "Who Spends Britain's Billions" is hilarious.

He met a consultant that lived an executive lifestyle because he drove a Jaguar S-type and played squash. Incredible.

To all those doubters who said that Brexit wouldn't create jobs...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...llion-gearing-up-for-eu-exit-says-david-davis

I thought we didn't have a pot to piss in? All these cuts to health, police, social services and local government.

Oh but I forgot. We magically found money to renovate Buckingham Palace as well so I suppose £500,000,000 or so on Brexit isn't surprising.

Fallon has resigned following 'allegations of past behaviour'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41838682

Last month: Touted next leader at party conference
This month: Sleaze resignation

:lol:

This month: Sleaze resignation

The only accusation I've heard levelled against him is that he put his hand on a journalist's leg ten years ago. That surely can't be enough to resign over - are there more serious allegations to come?

The only accusation I've heard levelled against him is that he put his hand on a journalist's leg ten years ago. That surely can't be enough to resign over - are there more serious allegations to come?

This is what I was thinking, his resignation must be an admission of guilt to something more serious. No one would resign so easily from such a high level position over simply one allegation.

This is what I was thinking, his resignation must be an admission of guilt to something more serious. No one would resign so easily from such a high level position over simply one allegation.

Maybe he just wanted to get out of this strong and stable government and this served as a perfectly politically admirably correct excuse.

Maybe he just wanted to get out of this strong and stable government and this served as a perfectly politically admirably correct excuse.

I dunno, it's a pretty cushy well paying position and one of the easiest because it's not public facing like the nightmare health secretary position.

Also you would rather not leave disgraced,
being 65 he could have easily retired if he wanted out regardless of the recent allegation.

I dunno, it's a pretty cushy well paying position and one of the easiest because it's not public facing like the nightmare health secretary position.

Defence secretary? Apart from presiding over swingeing defence cuts to an armed force that's almost as small as it's ever been (and all the members of the public whose livelihoods were built around ancillary services) it's pretty easy, I guess.

Defence secretary? Apart from presiding over swingeing defence cuts to an armed force that's almost as small as it's ever been (and all the members of the public whose livelihoods were built around ancillary services) it's pretty easy, I guess.

You don't get attacked by the vast majority of the public in that position. When cuts are made to the NHS Jeremy Hunt gets it in the neck!

Back