Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,892 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gotta be honest, if anybody needs it it's probably Canada. A beacon of stability and safety, Canada has gotten to the point where it's basically ignoring international realities especially future realities. The whole "northwest passage" issue for example...Canada has the opportunity to have extreme influence on global shipping within the next 50 years but thusfar hasn't done anything to prepare for it. It's going to be like a Bab al-Mandeb/Hormuz/Malacca level of oceanic influence so they need a mindset of taking a harder stance on naval defense in particular.
Fair points. I'm not looking forward to it with regard to domestic policies though. Nor am I a particular fan of the performance of Trudeau. The election is going to be "Trudeau out", rather than PP in.

Gotta be honest, if anybody needs it it's probably Canada. A beacon of stability and safety, Canada has gotten to the point where it's basically ignoring international realities especially future realities. The whole "northwest passage" issue for example...Canada has the opportunity to have extreme influence on global shipping within the next 50 years but thusfar hasn't done anything to prepare for it. It's going to be like a Bab al-Mandeb/Hormuz/Malacca level of oceanic influence so they need a mindset of taking a harder stance on naval defense in particular.
It would be humorous though to see Canada recruit the Inuit and tame polar bears to serve as guardians of the shipping channel.

I've been watching the Sky coverage from last night, I've watched about 4 hours of it so far, currently 622 of the votes are in.

I am staggered by the civility of this whole thing, of the pundits, of the politicians they're interviewing. And even in a landslide this just seems so orderly and so respectful compared to what we've seen in America the past several elections. Very refreshing, I'm actually enjoying the watch even though I can barely understand what they're saying. I do love how assertive the primary host is and how the other pundits aren't fighting as aggressively for time as American pundits do, talking over each other and getting riled up. I haven't even heard what I'd call political rhetoric from the pundits, they're simply stating the facts and showing the data. Really makes us look like a bunch of entertainment-focused assholes, innit?

Last edited:
I've been watching the Sky coverage from last night, I've watched about 4 hours of it so far, currently 622 of the votes are in.

I am staggered by the civility of this whole thing, of the pundits, of the politicians they're interviewing. And even in a landslide this just seems so orderly and so respectful compared to what we've seen in America the past several elections. Very refreshing, I'm actually enjoying the watch even though I can barely understand what they're saying. I do love how assertive the primary host is and how the other pundits aren't fighting as aggressively for time as American pundits do, talking over each other and getting riled up. Really makes us look like a bunch of entertainment-focused assholes, innit?
I watched a fair bit of it last night too. It's just so refreshing to see there is still some civility left in this world.

I am staggered by the civility of this whole thing, of the pundits, of the politicians they're interviewing. And even in a landslide this just seems so orderly and so respectful compared to what we've seen in America the past several elections. Very refreshing, I'm actually enjoying the watch even though I can barely understand what they're saying. I do love how assertive the primary host is and how the other pundits aren't fighting as aggressively for time as American pundits do, talking over each other and getting riled up. I haven't even heard what I'd call political rhetoric from the pundits, they're simply stating the facts and showing the data. Really makes us look like a bunch of entertainment-focused assholes, innit?
It’s a special occasion. Look up Question Time on the BBC for how things usually go. There’s also impartiality regulations that the channels not called GB do abide by.

Last edited:
Reform voters keeping things "real" and totally not fantasy island gyroballs. I think they're jealous they haven't been invited to the European fash bash party:

Screenshot_20240706-013504.png

"Tomorrow belongs to me"

Last edited:
Reform voters keeping things "real" and totally not fantasy island gyroballs. I think they're jealous they haven't been invited to the European fash bash party:

View attachment 1370326

"Tomorrow belongs to me"
Isn't Reform basically the new Republicans trying to replace the Tories? Weren't they literally the Brexit party and now trying to rebrand themselves to hide their horrendous mistake?
This was my post this morning...

View attachment 1370373

... I reckon the middle one was posted for comic effect.
Being a mailman is a great job over here! Predictable, pension, benefits, free exercise lol.

Isn't Reform basically the new Republicans trying to replace the Tories? Weren't they literally the Brexit party and now trying to rebrand themselves to hide their horrendous mistake?
They're not trying to hide it. They seem to be convinced Brexit would have worked if they'd kicked out a few more brown people and get very shirty and abusive online if anyone dares to present any figures illustrating what a terrible idea it was like some communist would do.

With a couple of junior minister appointments that aren’t politicians, it seems we might be going back to listening to the experts. Thank god.
As a reminder of the dangers of employing unqualified consultants I hope they install Thérèse Coffey doormats in their offices, toilet paper, or maybe even a dartboard in the coffee area. (Oxford comma intentional)

Last edited:
It's his bread and butter but Starmer's Prisons Secretary and Attorney General appointments are getting good feedback from those in the justice and legal world.

Prisons Secretary
How the heck many cabinet members do y'all have? Doesn't the whole prisons thing just fall under a department of justice? That seems to cover a lot of bases.

Last edited:
How the heck many cabinet members do y'all have? Doesn't the whole prisons thing just fall under a department of justice? That seems to cover a lot of bases.
From the looks of things you guys have individual state departments of corrections each with its own secretary.
I don't think our prisons system is big enough to warrant that.

Last edited:
A Liddle more schadenfreude. Anyone remember this bloke? Internet famous for suggesting cyclists should be murdered with neck height piano wire traps iirc:

Ironically, not voting is the act of not saying anything.
Or it's saying you have have no faith in any of the parties at present. I respect peoples right to not vote as much as their right to vote. Personally, there's not a single main party whose policies I full support or trust at the moment.

Personally, I think the British voting system needs a major overhaul and the public should have a greater say on party policies. Or rather, scrap voting for parties themselves and vote purely for policies on the various matters and it's up to government to carry out the will of the public.

There are far too many promises made prior to an election that never happen or see complete u-turns taken. Every MP has a chequered history, Boris, essentially being Boris, Starmers failure in relation to the Post Office scandal or whomever else, there's not a single capable and trustworthy one among them IMO.

Starmers failure in relation to the Post Office scandal
Starmer undoubtedly has many failings but don't think that's one of them. The vast majority of cases were prosecuted by the Post Office themselves, not the CPS. When he was the DPP I think there were about 10 cases dealt with by the CPS (from 900ish postmaster prosecutions in total), out of over 1 million annually.

Last edited:
Starmer undoubtedly has many failings but don't think that's one of them. The vast majority of cases were prosecuted by the Post Office themselves, not the CPS. When he was the DPP I think there were about 10 cases dealt with by the CPS (from 900ish postmaster prosecutions in total), out of over 1 million annually.
True, but he had the power to shut them down. The Post Office approached the CPS initially and the CPS said there was insufficient evidence yet allowed the Post Office to prosecute privately anyway. Something Stamer claims he was unaware of, which if true, calls into account his ability as at that time.

Last edited:
Back