<- BTCC-5 -> SEASON COMPLETE - skengdigi is the Champion!

• Thread starter rolo912011
  • 1,166 comments

Who is the BTCC Rookie of the Season?

• Red_Leader

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • mosendtner

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • TheOldStig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PleaseD1e

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • acelera

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Considering an idea which may be able to boost numbers beyond the 16 max, up to a maximum of 30 if there's enough interest to get there.

Essentially, Season 5 would become more team-oriented, because drivers would have to pair up (driving for the same manufacturer). One driver would do Race 1, and the other would do Race 2. So on race night the first group of drivers would come at 7pm and go, and then the second group would enter the lobby at say 7.45pm ready for Race 2 at 8. I and another steward would stay throughout, so Race 1 would be maximum 16 drivers, Race 2 14, or 15 for both, whichever works. The two sets of race results would then be combined to create an overall result for everyone, which is how the overall driver's title would be decided.

That way, more drivers and it boosts the team side of the series. The main driver's championship would be grouped together, so all drivers would contest it, but then there'd also be separate championships for the groups. Plus, if anyone finds it tight for time to make 7pm, then there's an extra hour to play with.

If you're not so cool with the idea of losing race time, since race night would be a little more spread out, I could always bump each race up to 30 minutes, then the pit windows could be greatly opened out.

If we don't get say 20 or 22 drivers then I'd abandon this. Still need to work out what would happen if drivers miss races too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I love it but i would add a way to cycle the 2 groups to avoid them being too tiered. The firsthalf of one room will swap with the last half of the other one. This to make sure the 2 rooms are balanced and theres not an easy and one hard one.

What do you think?

Not really a fan tbh.

I like having 2 races a night (and being able to race in both) plus that idea would only maybe work if you got 32 to sign up.

The fact we/you struggle to get a full grid as it is doesn't make it look promising.

You will never get a full team environment as there isn't any proper interaction between team mates.

I think ballast in this event is a better option as some people are better tuners than others so can get extra performance out their car.

I don't think the ballast is fair in the Japanese series as all cars are the same so the driver is being penalised for being fast......

You will never get a full team environment as there isn't any proper interaction between team mates.

I think ballast in this event is a better option as some people are better tuners than others so can get extra performance out their car.

I don't think the ballast is fair in the Japanese series as all cars are the same so the driver is being penalised for being fast......

1 - Yeah I think that's why the whole Team element in BTCC has died off. Maybe GT6 will rekindle it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of point in it, or much reward for doing it.

2. To implement that will mean having to start specifying which tuning parts each car needs to have (which may make them too heavy normally), or it may prove tricky in that even with 200kg ballast applied, a car may still not reach the ballast weight required, which is why...

3. Ballast would work better (or at least, a whole lot easier) in a series where the weight is the same for everyone. Penalising someone for being fast is exactly the point of success ballast. It both opens up the field to different winners and closes it up in that the slower guys have a much better chance of winning. Artificial? Yes. Exciting? Very possibly.

I think when deciding if you want success ballast you will have to check if all cars can carry the extra weight. So if they lose stage three weight will the car be as fast or slower? Would have to test but it could work.👍

To be honest I think for BTCC-5 the series is balanced in that there's 4 'power' tracks and 4 'handling' tracks, which should mean an even spread of wins.

Being honest; I'm happy with the 16 Drivers in the Championship...
That's one thing that bugs me about TOCA; is 32 drivers (they do it differently - which is frustrating as all you need is Unlucky Sprint Races and the Season is over.).

Personally, think we should stay to how we normally do things.
--------

Also, even though I'm staying as an Independent this season; I have a Private Team name of HSR (Humberside Racing)! :D

Also, I will be fighting this Season; as the last round is the day before my Birthday; and I want to wake up being 23 as a Champion! ;)

Series reserve for me as a VW for now please. I'll unlikely make more than a few races though but I'll try make as many as possible. (Work permiting.)

Introducing a couple of new points:

Fastest Lap points are now awarded in both races.
Lead a Lap points now introduced. If you cross the line in the lead at any time during a race, it's 1 point for you.

Is anyone interested in 3 races per evening?

Last edited:
If we have three would it be reserve for only race three if we have ballasted introduced? Cos then I would be up for that.👍

If we have three would it be reserve for only race three if we have ballasted introduced? Cos then I would be up for that.👍

I'm not introducing success ballast for BTCC-5. The calendar should hopefully balance it out between 'straight-line' cars and 'handling' cars.

I'm thinking Race 1 as reverse championship order, as it is now, but have Fastest First 10-min qualifying for Race 2, then reverse grid of R2 for Race 3.

Sounds good and unique. Imo there are 5, maybe 6, power tracks but that's just my thoughts.

Sounds good and unique. Imo there are 5, maybe 6, power tracks but that's just my thoughts.

I see what you mean - a little concerned about Rome and Indy Road Course, as Rome is meant to be a 'handling' track (but FR not so good there for me), and Indy Road is meant to be a 'power' track, but FR cars have done well there. Being quite careful about which tracks to put in as I think there'll be a revolt if any of the 'same old' tracks get used!

'Power' tracks : Monza, Fuji F, Sarthe, Indy Road
'Handling' tracks : Laguna Seca, GP/F, Rome, Cape Ring South

Last edited:
Indy I counted yup Rome is the maybe. Tried the VW around rome and got a 1:17.5 but was in early setup stages and was up in some sectors. (Clipped the wall on that lap in the chicane sort corner)

I dislike Rome anyway so that's no doubt slow. Will try a few others later.

Well if Rome turns out to be a 'power' track and Indy Road a 'handling' track then everything's still good, still got 4 of each 👍

Introducing a couple of new points:

Fastest Lap points are now awarded in both races.
Lead a Lap points now introduced. If you cross the line in the lead at any time during a race, it's 1 point for you.

Is anyone interested in 3 races per evening?

I have nothing against it, but it can be a mess to check since one could be 1st for half a second during pit wars....

Ionstead of 3 races why not 2 one as now and one with free pits that will last 1 hour?

I have nothing against it, but it can be a mess to check since one could be 1st for half a second during pit wars....

Ionstead of 3 races why not 2 one as now and one with free pits that will last 1 hour?

It will only count if you cross the line at the end of the lap in the lead. I'm not gonna score it everywhere. You have to be in the lead at the line.

3 sprints will provide much better racing.

What Rolo means say if everyone pits, you stay out and cross the line in lead. Then you get point.

So if you DC at say Monza or Spa and your car flys past everyone into the lead arcoss the line before DC'ing does that count? :lol:

Yup. Whoever flicks the lap counter up by one first, whether in the pits or not, gets the point (unless you've already got a point by that stage :P).

So, in Race 1 at Trial Mountain last week, these drivers would have each scored 1 point:

- el_rossy_46
- rolo912011

And in Race 2:

- skengdigi
- Jay_1086

----

No Paul :sly:

Last edited:
Can you reserve a spot for me? I'm not sure about which car I'm going to pick yet.

I remember from the TOCA days when the Skyline was the worst car, so if it needs a 50kg weight increase it must be doing something right.

Not surprising thought it was too light. In an other series it was much heavier and stull one of the fastest :P.

SS tyres and higher weights for the FFs than in Toca changes things.

I might even give it another 50kg in due course. It is a pretty good all-rounder even if the steering is very heavy.

At the other end of the scale, not too sure about the Clio at the moment.

Also pondering whether or not to put the Hondas back to 1200.

Focus is 1200 but I'm not seeing how the Tuscani warrants 1300. (Never drove it though) Clio I'll test too.

(Imo Focus would have the advatange of all these but that's just my opinion)

I would say Honda doesn't need the extra 50kg. I know me and Skeng got most wins but on pace its equal to Ford on 1200.

I would say Honda doesn't need the extra 50kg. I know me and Skeng got most wins but on pace its equal to Ford on 1200.

I'm thinking the same now. Particularly as the new cars can battle with it. I'll change it now.

Tuscani is 1300 purely because of its straight-line pace. It and the Scirocco have much better top-end speed than the other cars (which is also why the VW is 1350). At Monza the Tuscani was 0.5 clear of the field at 1250. It's one of the 'power' cars, as its extra weight does make it a reasonably tricky handler. Bit understeery.

I'm gonna test the Skyline and see if it needs 1350 or 1400. 👍

Back