BUG: AI difficult depends on the number of cars

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 8 comments
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
I noticed that the level of AI depends on the number of cars in the race. I made custom 10 lap race on Dragon trail, handicap off, monoclass, hard difficulty (FXX K14 w/o BOP and the same default tires).
And I finished only first lap in Dragon Trail with 20, 14 and 10 cars and the result is too strange, like the bag.

with 20 cars - 1:41,9 - i was 12th (overtook 8 cars for 1 lap! AI was so slow, like I was on FXX and they made only 80% speed)

with 14 cars - 1:41,7 - i was 12 from 14 (overtook only 2 cars, AI was much faster, I have got 12th place for 1 lap and almost the same time like with 20 cars!)

with 10 cars 1:38,433 - I was 8 from 10 (overtook 2 cars, even I made the lap 3,3 sec faster, AI much faster and it's not easy to be faster even on the first 2 turns where I overtook 2-3 cars in the race with 20 cars!)

So it looks like a bug! I understand that cars on the lower places should be slower then first place. But I can't understand why I'm overtaking by a lap 3-4 cars at the end of 10 laps race! My temp is +10 sec faster then AI cars in 17-20 places!

And I think that 20 cars races are senseless, cos I overtook 8-9 cars on the first lap on the same car without any BOP and the same tires! I think that 10 cars races are more interesting right now, cos AI is not so slow from the start.
And I think that PD should fix this bug. I want to get hard 20 cars events, but it doesn't work right now.

Last edited:
It seems to me that AI is exactly the same speed, from the result of your little experiment.

You only concluded that the 19th placed contestant in a race is slower than the 1st or the 11th, as it's supposed to be. The more you go through the field, the cars usually are faster and have better drivers. Like it's easier to overtake a Williams or a Haas than a Alpine or a McLaren. Verstappen on his Red Bull is much faster and harder to overtake than Latifi on his Williams and usually Latifi is around 19th or 20th. When some Red Bull or Ferrari starts from the back because of a penalty, it overtakes quickly the Williams, Haas and so, but when as they progress through the field they found increasingly harder to overtake as the cars are faster.

With 20 or 14 cars you produced almost identical times and finished first lap in the exact same position.

On the 10 car race you had to produce a considerably faster lap time to go to 8th. Probably in the first two tries, if you would be able to produce the same lap time, theoretically of course, you would be on 8th place or around that too.

I tested on Gr2 monoclass CLK-LM '98, and there is no bag with AI.

12 cars event:
1 lap - 1.34.18(10/12)
2 lap - 1.33.15(9/12)
3 lap - 1.33.23(7/12)
4 lap - 1.34,1(7/12)
5 lap - 1.33.23(5/12)
6 lap - 1.36.7(4/12)

20 cars event:
1 lap - 1.35.0(18/20)
2 lap - 1.33.95(15/20)
3 lap - 1.33.67(10/20)
4 lap - 1.34.5(9/20)
5 lap - 1.34.2(6/20)
6 lap - 1.33.7(3/20)
7 lap - 1.34.5(3/20)
8 lap - 1.33.04(2/20)
9 lap - 1.34.8(1/20)
10 lap - 1.34.0(1/20)

It took 3 laps to overtake 10 cars, instead of 1 laps for road car FXX.

But it seems like that it takes almost the same time to get the 1st position in 20 cars and 12 cars events. I was 4th after 6 lap in 12 cars event and I was 3rd in 20 cars event after 6 laps.

It seems to me that AI is exactly the same speed, from the result of your little experiment.

You only concluded that the 19th placed contestant in a race is slower than the 1st or the 11th, as it's supposed to be. The more you go through the field, the cars usually are faster and have better drivers. Like it's easier to overtake a Williams or a Haas than a Alpine or a McLaren. Verstappen on his Red Bull is much faster and harder to overtake than Latifi on his Williams and usually Latifi is around 19th or 20th. When some Red Bull or Ferrari starts from the back because of a penalty, it overtakes quickly the Williams, Haas and so, but when as they progress through the field they found increasingly harder to overtake as the cars are faster.

With 20 or 14 cars you produced almost identical times and finished first lap in the exact same position.

On the 10 car race you had to produce a considerably faster lap time to go to 8th. Probably in the first two tries, if you would be able to produce the same lap time, theoretically of course, you would be on 8th place or around that too.
But we talk about the same cars. I understand why Ferrari will overtake 4-5 positions if Ferrari pilot would be 20th position on the stars (cos the car is much better).
But even Vettel can't overtake 9 cars on the first lap.

I just tested with Gr2 cars and I overtook only 2 cars on the first lap! The same result was with 12 cars custom event. It seems like that the problem only with road cars. I will test with other cars and classes. I have a big pleasure to win in 20 cars event on Gr2. I have got the 1st position only on the 9th lap.
It's really annoy when I overtake on the line cars in monoclass, like my car is much faster. It would be like a fight. I suppose that GR3-4-1 classes are cool too with 20 cars. I will test anyway

I made 2 bad tries with Huayra 13 with bad times on the same hard difficulty. And results:

20 cars after the first lap - 12/20 - 1.57.67
10 cars after the first lap 10/10 - 1.55.95

As you can see my time with 10 cars 1,8 sec faster, but I have got the last place, and with 20 cars I overtook 8 cars (!!!). It's a bug for road cars.

I have tried Gr3 cars with 20 cars custom race it's hard to overtake even 2 cars on the firt lap.

So this bug is only for road cars. And it should be fixed.

AI speed depends on many factors. They are all preprogrammed to be slower at certain parts of each track, and no matter what settings you use it will always be the same.

The only way to have a good race with them in custom races is to set Boost to Weak, and detune your car to be lower PP than theirs.

Lake Maggiore Gr.3 5 laps no fuel no tyrewear all same car

2 cars AI time 9:56

6 cars AI time 9:51

12 cars AI time 9:51

16 cars AI time 9:51

the only difference is when there is more than 1 AI that all of them are faster for having chances to use drafting instead of losing the chase to me.

But we talk about the same cars. I understand why Ferrari will overtake 4-5 positions if Ferrari pilot would be 20th position on the stars (cos the car is much better).
But even Vettel can't overtake 9 cars on the first lap.

I just tested with Gr2 cars and I overtook only 2 cars on the first lap! The same result was with 12 cars custom event. It seems like that the problem only with road cars. I will test with other cars and classes. I have a big pleasure to win in 20 cars event on Gr2. I have got the 1st position only on the 9th lap.
It's really annoy when I overtake on the line cars in monoclass, like my car is much faster. It would be like a fight. I suppose that GR3-4-1 classes are cool too with 20 cars. I will test anyway

That's because the road cars aren't as balanced as the Gr. Cars, who have BoP. The more diverse the field on road cars, bigger the performance gaps between them. So, when you put more cars in the field, more diversity, probably will have more weaker cars.

I made 2 bad tries with Huayra 13 with bad times on the same hard difficulty. And results:

20 cars after the first lap - 12/20 - 1.57.67
10 cars after the first lap 10/10 - 1.55.95

As you can see my time with 10 cars 1,8 sec faster, but I have got the last place, and with 20 cars I overtook 8 cars (!!!). It's a bug for road cars.

I have tried Gr3 cars with 20 cars custom race it's hard to overtake even 2 cars on the firt lap.

So this bug is only for road cars. And it should be fixed.

You have a preconception. And you are just trying to get to conclusions that confirm your preconception, when it's exactly the other way around.
Every iteration of your experiments suggest that similar lap times correspond a similar position at the end of the lap.
A kind of like a 10th place on Q1 in F1 is good for going through comfortably but gets you dead last on Q3. It isn't a bug, nor the rivals are magically faster, just the field is reduced to the best of them.
A major flaw in your preconception is that the slower car has to be as fast as the faster ones.
It

Back