Can anybody explain F1 pre-race rules to me?F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter RTDude1981
  • 9 comments
Hey guys,
I am new to F1 racing, just picked up the game a couple weeks ago and I love it.

However, I am having a hard time understanding the pre-race stuff...the Qualifying, Flying Lap, Drive Out (?), I think that's what it's called...I did like 15 laps at Australia and it seems like the race doesn't end. What is the purpose of doing all those laps? Is it to get a starting position in the race? What is the difference between short and long weekends, and what are the purpose of doing those laps before the race? I noticed there is a timer that counts down...am I supposed to keep doing laps until the timer expires?

Can anybody explain these to me please? I am not doing career yet, just doing Grand Prix to get familiar with things. I am not looking to win as of yet, just learn the tracks and get familiar with F1 rules.

I got F1 2011 after doing the FGT in Gran Turismo 5 and got hooked. Never got into F1 racing until now and I am totally loving the cars and tracks. Thanks in advance.

Read this:

F1 Practice and Qualifying, Rules and Regulations

A couple of points: First, keep in mind that whatever tires you qualify with, you will also start the race with, so wait until the track is clear and you can set your best time with as few laps driven at full pace in qualifying as possible. In other words, during qualifying get your best time in with as few laps as possible and get back to the garage to save your tires for the race. This also applies to practice sessions, to a degree. I would stick with prime tires during practice and save your options for the race, since the option tires have much more grip and are a lot faster. If you have your car set up to handle well with primes, it will certainly do well with options.

F1 Tire Rules and Regulations

You can also go back to the garage and skip ahead to the next practice or qualifying session from the computer monitor screen once you feel like you're ready to move on. You don't have to keep driving around until the timer runs out, unless you really want to.

Ok, well...so.

Long weekend means it's like in reality: 3 practice sessions (60 minutes+ each), 3 qualifying sessions (first: top 17 advance to session 2 -> second: top 10 advance to session 3). The qualifying sessions are much shorter and you get to keep the place you have once you're out - let's say you're 18th in the first session: you're out and will start from P18. So, 6 sessions before the actual race should you go for a long weekend. Those are especially good if you need to test setups and learn the track.

Short weekend means there's only one practice session (60 minutes) and qualifying session before the race - no cut off at P17 or P10. There are 24 cars on the track at the same time, going for the top spot.

For qualifying: you have to start on the tyres you had on your car during your fastest lap in qualifing, so try to run not too many laps on them and get on track rather late during the session. Going out 3-4 minutes before the session ends is great, usually. The track will gain more grip over time and you'll also need to put Option tyres on the car since those are considered faster due to being the soft mix.

300665_10150314284109022_676549021_7977823_722217663_n.jpg

Yes, only top 10 qualifiers must start with the tires used to set qualifying time. Note you get to choose which tires you want to set your qualifying times with (if you want to start on prime; qualify with prime tires (Harder ones)).

Last edited:
You should watch a couple of races to get into the sport and learn how motorsports at the highest level looks like. You can probably learn a lot by watching it on tv, and then doing the circuits in the game to get a feel for what the real drivers are doing in a given lap.

Question about qualifying: Monaco. Full race weekend. Did 3 practice sessions. First Q session fininshed 10th, moved on to Q2, finished first, moved on th Q3 and finished 5th. Race Day!!! 20% so 16 laps I think. Know the track and psyched to be up front cause there's no place to pass here. Started in 15th!!! How did that work? Finished 14th and missed my objective of 7th. What's the point of all the Q sessions if I'm that far back?

Did you pick up penaktys during your practise sessions. The game doesn't forget.

Back