**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 06/07/12**

Two cars? Alright then.

First was the 3.0GT Turbo A which puts out 272bhp after an oil change.

Then it was off to Trial Mountain again for a test drive.

The Supra feels pretty good, nice and stable under power and it definitely doesn't step out anywhere near as much as the Spirra last week even on comfort soft tyres. Lap time was 1:52.475 but I'm sure others will go a lot faster.

I tried the Motegi Super Speedway next for the first time and ended up with a fastest lap of 46.235.

Then it was off to my Toscana track again for a one-make race.

Next I wanted to compare the 2.5GT Twin Turbo. My used one has 15,000 miles on the clock and came up with 272bhp after an oil change, the same at the 3.0 Turbo.

Round Trial Mountain I clocked a 1:51.363, so a bit quicker. This model does feel like it accelerates a bit quicker and grips slightly better.

For this weeks paint job I used the Toyota Yellow Mica Metallic and changed the wheels to BBS RE-MG.

In a comparison of the tests the 2.5GT wins just.
----------3.0GT----2.5GT
1/4 mile--15.429----15.153
1 mile----37.286----36.655
0-60-----6.857-----6.764
0-100----16.148----15.305
G--------0.50-------0.52

(Yet) another good choice for COTW and one I had overlooked, with some tweaking it will make an excellent 500pp competitor in the seasonals.

Cheers

Jennnkinnns!

Last edited:
Supra 3.0 Turbo A '88

Supra3-0L_88_RBHangar7_5.jpg

I'm still having the occassional nightmare about having my legs broken by a dangerous Korean psycopath. However, this is a new week and there is something a bit more restrained and a bit more...normal to occupy my time:

Engine in front? Check.
Drive wheels at the back? Check.
Car developed by a long-established manufacturer with a proven safety record? Check.

This is the third generation of Supra, but the first to drop the Celica name. The one we have here is quite a rare beast indeed, not only does it have the 3 litre turbo, but a big red 'A' on the turbo badge means this is something special. A Touring Car homologation special, no less, meaning an extra 40 horses. Excellent! **rubs hands**

It also has an extra front air intake
Supra3-0L_88_RBHangar7_2.jpg

After an oil change we get 271BHP 1530Kg and 431pp.

At Trial Mountain it takes a couple of tentative laps to realise that this car isn't trying to hurt me. In fact it's quite helpful. The Supra drives like a good sports car should: turns in well, it has a fair tendancy to oversteer, and can push in a corner if you are way too early with throttle or too fast. The beauty is, though, that everything is easily controllable and it feels stable. There are no surprises. No violence.

Trial Mountain on the stock Comfort Soft was 1:49.7, but with Sports Hard 1:46.5 - which is getting into Spirra territory (for me:lol:).

The gearing is OK but could be tweaked for track use, though the 6 cylinder turbo isn't especially peaky and has good useable rev range; suspension is forgiving but firm enough that there is little body roll.

Tuck in behind the GNX
Supra3-0L_88_vGNX_MtAso_10.jpg

As the car drives so well, I went to Mt Aso in the FR 500pp seasonal. I changed to 6 speed close ratio 'box and SM tyres (same as the AI). There were some minor battles - I couldn't out drag the GNX, but got in its slipstream at the start of the straight and outbraked them at the dip. I finished a distant 3rd (Shelby was in the lead) but an excellent performance considering I was giving away 70pp.

Smoked him!
Supra3-0L_88_vGNX_MtAso_6.jpg

I then took 1990 2.5 Twin Turbo R to Trial Mountain. This was the most powerful Supra of this generation and after a rebuild, the figures are 287BHP 1520Kg and 441pp. It doesn't really feel any different from its older sibling, perhaps a little more free revving over 4000rpm. It is a bit a bit quicker though and after 3 laps on Trial Mountain I got 1:49.1.

Twin Turbo stalking the flyover
Supra2-5TT_SSR5_3.jpg

A really good car this old Supra, quite quick, predictable handling and not a lot between the variants. In the game, the '88 would be favourite for most people as it is premium. I expect tuning to 500pp would be fine, although with more power comes more oversteer, so some work on suspension and diff setup might be required to make it competitive. I'm sure you could you could make a decent drifter out of it too. There is a lot of potential in the engine though, so I'd be interested to see if anyone goes all the way.

Supra3-0L_88_MtAso_1.jpg

Edit: add pic of the 1990 2.5 TT R

Last edited:
Woodski_427
I'm still having the occassional nightmare about having my legs broken by a dangerous Korean psycopath. However, this is a new week and there is something a bit more restrained and a bit more...normal to occupy my time:

Sounds like someone was scarred by the Spirra.

It's okay, the bad car can't get you anymore, you're safe now. Lol, great work! You and iainn continue to improve week after week. 👍

-Director's Cut-

Fully modified drag times, simple tune.
0-1/4- 0:12.182
0-1 mi- 0:28.772
0-60- 0:04.335
0-100- 0:08.232
Max. G- 0.80G
Top Speed- 197.0 mph

Kyoto-Gion-Supra.jpg

Everything else made it into the review, available now. Enjoy.

iainn
Wow, I didn't know the radio telescopes lit up like that at night. Never been right round Route X in the night.

Excellent pic.

Thanks. It's fun discovering new things in the game, and the Car of the Week thread is the perfect chance to do some exploring.

Anyone interested can now follow my reviews on Google+. The link is at the end of my disclaimer.

Last edited:
Arrrghhhhaaaa
based on the Toyota Supera 3.0GT Turbo '88

mtasotarmac.jpg

A quick review of me and this car.

A little under a year ago I started a tuning garage in the tuning forum, and well it didn't take off like I had hoped. My first tune was the Honda Beat, and I'm sure people found it a little odd.
Then one day a very respected garageTPT was asking for tuners to join its garage, and I jumped at the chance. A place where I could show everyone I knew what I was doing (I really don't :dopey: ) and I set off with a new attitude. I was getting noticed even in my own garage... but then this car came along.
autumnringa.jpg

I was three tunes into TPT when a customer requested a 500pp tounge tune for the car. Jack, the boss, said I could do it and I was happy to try. And try I did, but everything I did made the car drift. Every corner the rear of the car tried to introduce itself to the front and nothing was working. The customer was asking for the car, the boss was getting upset... and I failed. Jack made the car for the customer, and shortly after I was fired. (really Jack was going off to play Fozzy4 and told me to focus on Clueless... but that doesn't make for a good story :dopey: )

I tried for another couple of weeks, but in the end I placed it in the back of the garage, never to try again... until the Car of the week had it as its choice.

Do I try again? Can I fix this car? Am I an Idiot?... two yes and one maybe (you be the judge)

redbullhangar7k.jpg

nrburgringgpdz.jpg

Found in the New Car Dealership

381bhp
485pp
341 ft. lb. @3600 RPM of torque
weight 1377 Kg

parts

Auto
Oil Change
Paint - i Concept Purple
weight Reduction
Stage 1
Engine
ECU
Intake
Manifold
Racing Filter
Exhaust
Racing
Manifold
Catalytic
Turbo
Stock
Gears
Custom
Drivetrain
Twin Plate
Semi-Racing
Driveshaft
LSD
Suspention
Custom
Tires
Sport Med. (S2)

ABS = 1
everything else off

Tune

LSD- 12/18/10

GearingIn this order please
Reset to Default
Top Speed - 137
1st - 3.460
2nd - 2.615
3rd - 2.025
4th - 1.610
5th - 1.330
6th - 1.151
Final - 2.825
Adjust for speed using final gear

Ride Hight - Front: -12 Rear: -7
Spring Rate- Front: 11.0 Rear: 8.3
Extention- Front: 8 Rear: 8
Compression- Front: 5 Rear: 8
Anti-roll Bars- Front: 5 Rear: 4
Camber- Front: 1.2 Rear: 2.0
Toe Angle- Front: -0.18 Rear: 0.15
Brakes- Front: 7 Rear: 5

TUNER NOTES -
I got rid of the touge attempt... I'll leave that to the pros. Am I happy with the tune?... not yet, and most likely never will be. Is it a fun drive?... Not for me, but maybe for you.

I do hope you enjoy it , and if I ever try again, I'll be sure to let you know... Thanks for your time :dopey:

kyotogionre.jpg

An absolutely brilliant review McClarenDesign, I'm hopping to be well enough to get back to doing some reviews soon. Keep up the great work that you are all doing guys, it makes for some great reading.

An absolutely brilliant review McClarenDesign, I'm hopping to be well enough to get back to doing some reviews soon. Keep up the great work that you are all doing guys, it makes for some great reading.

If you guys really dig my work, put it out there for others to enjoy as well. I promise that should my reviews lead to some form of paid work, you'll each be compensated (offer valid to all Car of the Week posters prior to this post. Any further posts are excluded from this offer, so neener).

krenkme, don't give up so easily. I've got a Touge track that will help you become a better tuner and a better driver, if you're willing to put in the work. I promise, 10 laps on Mt. Fusterkluc will change your world. If you want some help, I'll be on around 10p (or a little after, US CST) Friday night and can guide you through the track.

9 complexity.
4.57 miles.
1/2 mile straight.
209 ft. elevation difference.
64 corners.
2 sectors.

My friends list is full, but if you're willing to put in the time and work, and send me a message on the PSN, I'll clear a spot and help you out.

Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo-A '88​

RedBullHangar-7_2.jpg

The car came to me rated at 258hp/424pp and after an oil change was 271hp/431pp. With my mild tune she came to 373hp/474pp. Out at the test track the numbers were:

..........stock... / tuned
1/4 mi...15.336 / 13.611
1.0 mi...37.172 / 33.058
0 - 60...06.777 / 05.116
to 100...16.008 / 11.471
max G....00.580 / 00.700
max spd..165.00 / 157.70

Kyoto-Shoren-in.jpg

Out at Grand Valley Speedway for a best of ten laps I posted a 2:22.697 with the stock car and a 2:09.754 with the tuned version. The car had become pushy with the mild tune, I hate a pushy car!

Typical results of my losing an argument with a pushy ride
GrandValleySpeedway_8-1.jpg

I did keep her off the wall though
GrandValleySpeedway_9-1.jpg

I took to the recent 500pp FR seasonal challenge to test her against some competition. Even giving up nearly 70pp with the stock car I posted a respectable podium finish (P3) in both the Cape Ring Inside and High Speed Ring events with best laps of 1:02.188 and 1:19.980 respectively. I am not sure what happened at Autumn Ring, a track I hate, I finished in P9 with a lap of 1:32.699

Coming through!
HighSpeedRing.jpg

Given that I had taken about 13 seconds off my Grand Valley lap I figured I would do much better at the tracks with the tuned version. That was true, to a point. I still only managed a P2 finish with a lap of 1:00.141 at Cape Ring Inside. Remember that push I mentioned she had developed? I was much too tentative at this track because of that. At the High Speed Ring where she was able to really stretch her legs I took an easy P1 with a lap of 1:16.909. I finished on the podium at P2 with a best lap of 1:29.193 at Autumn Ring.

Taking the high line at high speed
HighSpeedRing_1.jpg

I found the stock version of this car very well behaved, maybe too well behaved...perhaps even a little boring. I could not figure out why that is so, she handled well and proved a confident racer at a few of the tracks even giving up nearly 70pp. Then I thought about what I have been driving this past week in GT5. I have never driven one of the F1 cars in this game until this weeks Ferrari challenge, talk about hyper! I have golded all but the Nurb track so far. Another post has us racing the recent TT's, Grand Valley reverse in a heavy Jag XFR with CS tires no less. As well as a choice of monster motor American muscle cars on that tight, tiny little Tsukuba track. Then of course was last weeks COTW, that tail happy screamer from Korea. Just maybe boring is the wrong choice of words, anything would seem tame compared to all of that. I think civilized would be a better choice, she is a civilized and competent car :) She did develope a rather nasty push though, even with a mild tune on her.

Kyoto-Gion_1.jpg

Woodski_427
Thanks guys. The Spirra has been parked in the farthest reaches of the garage. Covered up so it can't look at me.

I'd add a parking boot. You know, just to be safe.

Epilogue: A cautionary Tale

Everyone knows a bloke called Dave.

The Dave I know has his fingers in a lot of pies and knows a lot of people. He also owns a lot of cars, most of which are in various states of disassemblement (I'm sure that's not even a word, but it should be). He knew I was looking for a mid-life crisis car, and "he knew a couple of kids with something interesting".

The lock-up was in a shady area of town; once a bustling industrial area, now just run down and shabby. The kids were already waiting, and I was feeling dubious. Inside amongst a jumble of 'wares' there was a car hidden under a dust sheet. As they unmasked it I felt even more dubious. The first thing to standout was the very greyness. And the luminous wheels.

"What the ffff...?"

"It's pukka, mate"

I raised an eyebrow. "Does it need finishing?"

"Matte grey. It's sick."

"Riiight. It's not primer then?"

"Nah mate", they sn!gger. (or 'snicker' perhaps if you are an unsophisticated word filter :lol:)

"Oookaay, then. Sick."

Supra3-0L_88_grey_AhrweilerSq_3.jpg

The bodykit looked a bit, well, tacky and there was some kind of tray stuck underneath the back. I tried not to see the giant wing protruding from the hatch lid.

"It's all genuine kit. Custom parts from Japan. Racing wheels."

The wheels were luminous green, and sitting at a disturbing angle. "What's wrong with the suspension?"

They s******ed (see 'snicker' above). "Sgot stance" is all they said. It looked broken.

They fired it up as I continued to look astonished. It was extremely loud and being in the small lock-up didn't help. I winced as he prodded the throttle.

They s******ed. "Sup grandad? Too LOUD?"

Supra3-0L_88_grey_AhrweilerSq_1.jpg

The boys jacked up the car, and told the story as me and Dave had a good look round. I began to warm to them and the car - the quality of work was excellent, and they said the previous owner had blueprinted the engine. He was "some grandad like me". They'd done some upgrades: a remap, improved the air intake and an exhaust system, light flywheel and competition clutch: 370 BHP they claimed.

A test drive revealed the car to be fast. Understeered horribly and wanted to drift every time you pressed the loud pedal. "It's for cruising, showing" they suggested when questioned. I suggested I wouldn't be cruising past the first speed bump since the front spoiler looked like it was hoovering the road.

Supra3-0L_88_grey_London_1.jpg

I said I'd let them know in a couple of days. "Whatever", they replied.

Now, a mid-life crisis can make a man do strange things. Drink less beer; drink more beer; take-up adrenaline sports; leave his job, wife and kids to go sailing around the world in a small yacht; get a motorbike or that sports car from his youth.

Yep you guessed it. What was I thinking?

Well, it certainly gets looks in the street and makes a good track car. Of course I've painted it, changed the wheels, setup the suspension properly, and given it a quieter exhaust, but the bodykit grew on me. It's Fast and Furious, tail happy, but it'll do for now.

Supra3-0L_88_blu_TM_3.jpg

Trial Mountain on Comfort Soft:

'Primer' grey - 370 BHP 1530 Kg 480pp: 1:51.3
'Olympe' blue - 360 BHP 1530 KG 471pp: 1:47.5

Supra3-0L_88_blu_TM_5.jpg

Last edited:
krenkme
Another great choice. Amazing reviews and pictures as always guys. Bring on the next one :dopey:

MG is having issues with his interwebs, but it should be posted soon.

krenkme
That's good to hear... about the pick, not the problems :dopey:

If nothing is posted by Monday, I'll choose a post, contact the poster, and put up next week's car. MG may also be giving some time to the winner, so that should give him plenty of time.

Back