**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 14/09/12**

Sorry these are late. I wish I could write like all of you, but I can tune a car, and take some pictures. Here are the pictures and links to the tunes for the Jaguars

circuitdelasarthe20093d.jpg

circuitdelasarthe20092a.jpg

circuitdelasarthe20091h.jpg

circuitdelasarthe2009g.jpg

circuitdelasarthe2009noq.jpg

circuitdelasarthe2009nou.jpg

Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61<-----The tune

suzukacircuit1n.jpg

suzukacircuitm.jpg

sangalganoabbey1v.jpg

sangalganoabbeyi.jpg

Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66 <----- The tune

I hope you like :dopey:

Hi guys I've been out of the loop with C.O.T.W. for a while now, (health problems, and trying to drive whilst on strong medication doesn't help lol). So for the moment, I will just post a few old pics that I made a while back, I hope you like them. Cheers.

gultech.jpg

merc4final.jpg

mercbw.jpg

guldooropen4bw.jpg

guldoor6.jpg

P.S. And just in case your wondering how I managed to open the doors, well all I can say is that it did involve using a crowbar.

Very impressive!

Very impressive!

Thank you, in hindsight I wish that when I pictured the car I wish that I had not chromed it, but there you go.

Great work on keeping C.O.T.W. going, and not letting it bite the dust, like so many other of the similar threads have done.

As soon as I'm off the morphine I shall definitely try to contribute more.

1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe​

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_15.jpg

I was very surprised with this car, probably the most stable car I have driven in GT5 on the stock CS tires. Acceleration and top speed was impressive for a car of this vintage, no wonder she has a 24 hour of LaMans win to her credit. Stock 4 speed was well mated to the car, it would blink the rev limiter light at the top end, but never push past and cut the engine even at that nearly 4 mile long straight at de La Sarthe. It was geared a bit tall for the track, but that is par for the course with most road cars. Handling was excellent with minimal body roll. The stock CS tires were her weak link and it was easy to find their limits at the track, she really came into her own with a set of SH.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_14.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_13.jpg

I noticed when the new TT's came out yesterday that they had one for 400pp cars at another favorite track of mine, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I also noticed that the stock SL 300 was rated at 405pp. How convenient, funny how things just work out that way. So I strpped her back down to bone stock and then dialed her back to 94% power for ratings of 206hp/400pp even and it was off to Laguna Seca. I got bronze on my first lap at 1:59.253 and silver on my second with a run of 1:57.296. Being so close to the gold time of 1:55 flat I knew if I put the 5 speed close ratio gearbox and suspension mods back in I has a good shot at it. It took three laps and I posted a gold time of 1:53.633. Not way up on the speed charts, but I wonder how many people golded the event in a 58 year old stock powered road car. She is an impressive ride for sure.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_12.jpg

A mammoth job this one, which I've failed at miserably I'm afraid, only had a short time so it was an off to Le Mans with no preparation or changes to the cars.

First up the 300SL, a beautiful car and after looking in GT Auto I found you can remove the bumpers which makes it look even better.

On the track it maxes out at about 147mph on the SH tyres and I finish the lap after 5:04.860.

Next the SLR McLaren and it's the first COTW I've had to go out and buy!
I decided to change the colour as I get bored with silver, ended with Cascade Blue.
On the track this one is monstrous, very quick acceleration and a top speed on Mulsanne of 207mph!

Here kitty kitty..... I brake too late and head into the gravel, which meant a laptime of 4:17.061. Tyres were Sports Hards.

Onto the Jags then and the E-type is one I've used before and has had a few mods (weight reduction, intake, exhaust etc.) and has 338bhp. A laptime of 4:44.542 was respectable-ish.

Another beautiful car (wish this was premium).

Finally the XJ-13, another great looking car, as a proper race car it has blistering acceleration and very effective brakes.

Laptime was 3:50.272 on the Racing Hards.

The winner? Jaguar.

I do like the 300SL very much, one of the best cockpit views in the game, but the E-Type and the XJ-13 are just great.

The End

Taken out of my Photomode thread.

7994352821_22c6a314f2.jpg

(Lap 1)

I get some wheelspin as we come off the grid.

We enter the 1st turn. This is already getting exciting...:D

I make a mistake and go into the grass on turn 2.

Niko starts gaining on me...

And gets far ahead.

I bite some dust as Niko understeers into the grass.

I start to get closer during the corkscrew.

He's right behind me, isn't he.

What the?! When did they install quicksand?!

Burning rubber after the "quicksand" moment.

(Lap 2)

I finally catch up to Niko.

And, somehow, pass him.

Yeaaaah!

He passes me during the straight, though.

(Lap 3)

Gotta...catch...up...

Finally I pass him at the corkscrew.

At the last moment on the last lap, he passes me!

Niko wins with me behind by .102.

Merc vs Jag

I drove the cars in no particular order, and to eliminate any tyre advantages use Sports Hard for them all.

First up was the Mercedes SLR McLaren '09. I remember sneaking a look at this car when my friend was test driving it and thought it looked like a Batmobile (no not the Adam West one) with its old-school coupe form of long bonnet and cabin set far back (more than likely a result of the mid-front engine layout). More than that it was the noise it made - the angry growl of the Merc V8, but louder. This is sadly lacking in the GT5 experience.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_14_zps3486668c.jpg

A new SLR after oil change gave me 628BHP, 1768Kg, and 579pp. Despite being a modern car with electronic trickery, I now prefer to drive most cars without TC or ABS so at Trial Mountain I had to check if I left something on, such was the level of grip. So despite the cars weight its cornering was excellent and it absorbed the bumps superbly. It is very quick of course and the big torquey V8 is not hampered by the 5 speed 'box, which as Mustang Maniac pointed out makes it bit more relaxed on the track.

Merc_SLR_silv_TrialMountain_3.jpg

Merc_SLR_silv_TrialMountain_2.jpg

At the mighty Circuit de la Sarthe, I was expecting this to perform well. It is fast, no doubt, achieving over 200mph on the Mulsanne Straight. However I felt the cars weight became a hinderance here: understeer was more of an issue, hard braking from the immense speeds became somewhat of a chore and it didn't seem hugely happy in the Porsche Curves.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_13_zps9669b00a.jpg

Next up, The SLR's ancestor - the stunning 1954 Mercedes 300 SL. This really is a great car to look at, a perfect example of a 50's sports car, and one of the most collectable cars in the world. Based on a less powerful race car the famous gullwing doors were necessitated by the chassis creating a high sill, apparently making ingress and egress somewhat awkward. No worries for Bob though:

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_2_zpsf8dcb1c3.jpg

With oil change, a new 300 SL from the dealership came with 217BHP, 1295Kg and 406pp. With a smooth and direct-injected straight-six up front there's a pretty good turn of speed and the useable torque range is complimented by the gears. It handles well with some body roll and a bit of understeer, and can be a bit tail-happy unless you are careful with the throttle. Although on the sports hards there is plenty of grip and these characteristics are somewhat tamed, so over all makes for a decent lap of Trial Mountain.

Merc_300SL_TrialMountain_1.jpg

While at Sarthe the 'Sports Leicht' reaches 155mph on the straight despite its four speed 'box (it was apparently the fastest production car for a time) and makes for a pleasant few laps. A very enjoyable drive.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_1_zpse9f11d8e.jpg

I have another 300 SL that I had already removed the bumpers from, so I gave it a sports tune, with adjustable sports suspension to give 271 BHP, 1295Kg, and 434pp. I kept the stock transmission and kept in on Sports Hard. Around Sarthe it was much more sprighlty and quite a bit tighter, improving the track experience.

I took this for an evening cruise around the Nordschleife - a very good drive. The the SL would make a good classic racer with a proper setup.

Merc300SL_Nordschleife_5.jpg

Merc300SL_Nordschleife_1.jpg

On to the E Type Jag of 1961. Being a design icon and with Jaguar's racing heritage this is still a very desirable car. For me though, there is something not quite right about the coupe proportions - the glass is too high and looking from front or rear, the wide cigar shaped body makes the the wheels look a bit wrong, as though they need to a bit wider apart. Nevertheless, released into the nascent decade of Swinging London it couldn't go wrong: I'm sure if I was there and moneyed I'm in no doubt I would have got my hands on one.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_6_zps33d40ae0.jpg

A couple of these Jags are in my garage, so one was taken for rebuild and gave 276BHP, 1219Kg and 445pp. I expected this to be good at Trial Mountain, but even on Sports Hard it was very tail happy and this reduced the fun-factor a little. Although it pitches and rolls quite a lot, the car sticks well enough in the corners (as long as you are careful with the power).

Jag_EType_TrialMountain_2.jpg

Onto Sarthe and this is where I was a bit surprised. The gearing means acceleration is brisk but the car is hampered by a top speed of under 140mph - leading to lost time on the long straight. However the Jag seemed to be right at home here and was just majestic on the sweeping Porsche Curves: I really enjoyed these laps.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_4_zps1f379fa9.jpg

Now for the daddy of this CotW, 1966 Jaguar XJ13. A beautiful prototype racer from the era that is, for me, the best for race car designs. In the late 50s and 60s power achievements were already pretty heady, the cars were smooth with flowing curves; pure lines largely unhindered by the desire to acheive downforce. This car truly is unique and has a prototype V12 essentially made from 2 XK engines. Famously and sadly it was never raced as it was deemed obsolete by completion and remained undeveloped. Even more sadly it was almost destroyed during the filming of a promo film in 1971 (not 4 miles from where I live) but was restored by a Coventry panel company. Wow.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_9_zps4773b5b1.jpg

I had bought this some time ago and have given it few runs out; the numbers 531BHP, 998Kg, 599pp. We are in proper race car territory here. On the Sports Hards at Trial Mountain, the mid-engined cat is a little twitchy and good throttle control is a must. However, it is pretty good on this twisty track, if a little hard work to stay smooth and keep good lines.

Jag_XJ13_TrialMountain_2.jpg

Le Mans, of course, is what this car was designed for. It just makes 200mph on the straight, and gets there quickly, as long as you don't mash the gas pedal in first or second. As you'd expect for a race car it is tight on the corners but not too forgiving if you get it wrong.

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_7.jpg

The biggest problem I had was braking - I can only assume Mustang Maniac was using ABS or is a much better driver than I (this is a given really). It is a common theme for me with many midship motors in the game - I find the rear gets out of shape with little steering input, making trail braking into corners almost impossible. The high speeds of Sarthe plus SH tyres meant I was braking early and straight for many corners. Here I was sideways into Indianapolis, but held on:

CircuitdelaSarthe2005NoChicanes_11_zps4891b42c.jpg

I enjoy driving these old racers with no driving aids on sports hards (I expect they are somewhat closer to the grip levels of period tyres than the GT5 race tyres). It can be quite a challenge, but is rewarding when you get it right.

Times

5 laps of Trial Mountain, 3 laps Circuit de la Sarthe, Sports Hard tyres.

Car..........TM.................Sarthe
SLR..........1:38.797...........4:10.118
300SL........1:51.354...........4:58.781 / 4:44.690 (sports tune)
E-Type.......1:48.781...........4:52.917
XJ13.........1:35.838...........3:58.847*

* I have previously run a 3:55 lap with ABS.

All great cars, all quite different, and bit of a strange bunch to put together. I suppose the 300 SL and the E-Type are the closest in terms of rivals but trying to put anything else together is a bit like comparing a cyclist with someone riding a horse.

However, if we stick to the pairings in the OP then it is clearly: SLR 2 v E-Type 0, XJ13 2 v 300 SL 0.

The other thing of course, is that the SLR is not all Merc, there is a large part of very British McLaren in there. For me though the Jags win 'cos they're, well, Jags.

Maybe there could be a future Merc vs Jag revival with closer matched cars?

Last edited:
Back