Chase for NASCAR Sprint Cup S2 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Hendrick, Chevy

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,095 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to apologise ro Carb and RFLX for yesterday.

I had a half decent car, mixed up some settings from the #18 and some of mine and could go 30 laps on tyres. Then I forgot to switch ABS on... :banghead: Also looped RFLX totally by accident (And Carb later), and was caught in the unenviable position of "Do I work with those damn Hendricks?", "Do I work with Ford or not" and "Should I just drop back?" all at once.

Oh well. Good to have been in this, i'll learn from my mistakes and I will be going for wins in future. Cheers to the #18 and #20 for help, and drop for setting this up. 👍

Just to confirm about my plans, I'm able to make every race of next season except the 200 lap races, and SSRX is a huge "maybe". 👍

I'm also on the edge of whether I should race for the Nationwide or Sprint Cup championship... :confused:

I can guarantee mate, that nobody is thinking about that right now. There is one race left and it's a massive one, in both distance and points, for 7 or 8 guys (without looking at the standings).

After we crown a champion next week, the fantasy top 5 winner (if any) has been sorted, and The Sprints on the way, then is the time to think about teams and who to offer seats to.

I will say Carb, you've not done yourself any damage over the past two weeks in making some potential Team Owners sit up and pay attention. 👍

PS, any further Sprint nominees are welcome. Think I will add last nights second group comeback to that particular category.

About to watch the replay while doing some ironing :ouch: so will race report afterwards.

EDIT : to save me going through the thread in detail later on, does anybody have the actual Fantasy Top 5 finish list to hand?

I can guarantee mate, that nobody is thinking about that right now. There is one race left and it's a massive one, in both distance and points, for 7 or 8 guys (without looking at the standings).

After we crown a champion next week, the fantasy top 5 winner (if any) has been sorted, and The Sprints on the way, then is the time to think about teams and who to offer seats to.

I will say Carb, you've not done yourself any damage over the past two weeks in making some potential Team Owners sit up and pay attention. 👍

PS, any further Sprint nominees are welcome. Think I will add last nights second group comeback to that particular category.

About to watch the replay while doing some ironing :ouch: so will race report afterwards.

EDIT : to save me going through the thread in detail later on, does anybody have the actual Fantasy Top 5 finish list to hand?

18FanChallenge.png

Knelly's Fantasy Challenge. Free Car under 1 Million Credits for the correct top five in the correct finishing order of S2.

Chqr:
1. Homeslice
2. Knelly
3. NIOP
4. MustangRyan
5. ACDCROCKS123

Knelly:
1st MStall
2nd Homeslice
3rd Niop
4th Knelly
5th Mudd

TomMCD:
1. MStall
2. Niop
3. Drop
4. Knelly
5. Joe

NIOP:
1. Drop
2. Niop
3. MStall
4. Homeslice
5. Knelly

Joe:
1. Joe
2. Niop
3. Homeslice
4. MStall
5. Knelly

Basist:
1. CrAzY_bAsSiSt_83
2. Mudd
3. Knelly
4. Homeslice
5. Dowhat13

Drop
1. JoeOfTheFire
2. RFLX_Niop
3. M-Stall41
4. Homeslice47
5. Droptop2001gt

Mudd
1. Homeslice
2. Joe
3. Crazy
4. Niop
5. Knelly

Furi
1. Niop
2. Homeslice
3. Mstall
4. Joe
5. Knelly

MStall
1. MStall41
2. RFLX_Niop
3. JoeOfTheFire
4. Homeslice47
5. Knelly

I'm really unsure what to do with Nationwide now. Part of me really wants to race in the Sprint Cup next season and I like to think I'd get picked up as a second or third driver by somebody at least.

Would there be enough room for all the regulars, me, Carb and Matty in the Sprint Cup? (not sure if Chqr was planning to run, if so, Chqr too). If there is NNS is pretty much redundant.

TomMcD
I'm really unsure what to do with Nationwide now. Part of me really wants to race in the Sprint Cup next season and I like to think I'd get picked up as a second or third driver by somebody at least.

Would there be enough room for all the regulars, me, Carb and Matty in the Sprint Cup? (not sure if Chqr was planning to run, if so, Chqr too). If there is NNS is pretty much redundant.

Carb, Matty and I.

Thought you'd know English by now ;)

mattymc96
Carb, Matty and I.

Thought you'd know English by now ;)

It's called being colloquial, a result of living in Yorkshire for 14 years. Even being incredibly well spoken and eloquent like myself doesn't completely negate the effects of being surrounded by some of the barely literate people at my school :lol:

Thanks Chqr, saved me a job 👍

Kind of looks like my £1m will be safe this year though - Just shows how close everyone is to make this challenge so difficult.

I think we should just keep this as sprintcup, if we get twice as many registered drivers for next season, then start a subleague for those who don't get drafted to a sprintcup team n take it from there. After the last race we will need a list of all available drivers for next season. Maybe we need an interest thread for next season up already to get our draft moving smoothly. And to determine if we need the subleague or not. If there's only a handful of guys who don't make the cut then the subleague would be pointless. I personally would drop out if I don't make the cut into the sprintcup. I would feel like it'd be a waste of time for me, seeing that I've run two sprintcup seasons now.

TomMcD
It's called being colloquial, a result of living in Yorkshire for 14 years. Even being incredibly well spoken and eloquent like myself doesn't completely negate the effects of being surrounded by some of the barely literate people at my school :lol:

Hmm, and I've lived in Chónamára for 12 years and I am incredibly well spoken in English despite living in a very much Irish speaking area..

kenkwilinski
I think we should just keep this as sprintcup, if we get twice as many registered drivers for next season, then start a subleague for those who don't get drafted to a sprintcup team n take it from there. After the last race we will need a list of all available drivers for next season. Maybe we need an interest thread for next season up already to get our draft moving smoothly. And to determine if we need the subleague or not. If there's only a handful of guys who don't make the cut then the subleague would be pointless. I personally would drop out if I don't make the cut into the sprintcup. I would feel like it'd be a waste of time for me, seeing that I've run two sprintcup seasons now.

Agree with this idea completely. If full lounges work fine, the more cars the better. 16 guys at every single Sprint Cup race would be absolutely epic.

EDIT: They aren't automatically illiterate though Matty, they've just all got dodgy accents ;)

EDIT 2: If you count all the guys in the chase as the regulars, add us 3 into the equation and that's still only 14 drivers. Should be plenty of room.

Knew I should have picked Drop instead of M-Stall for my top 5. If nobody gets all 5 in the correct order, will the winner be whoever gets the most people in the correct place?

Knew I should have picked Drop instead of M-Stall for my top 5. If nobody gets all 5 in the correct order, will the winner be whoever gets the most people in the correct place?

Without looking at Stalls points right now, you are the only one in with a shout as have the top three correct (order to be decided).

The £1m will drop to a £750k prize for whoever correctly guesses the most correct placings (not just most in top 5 in random order). Fair enough?

Without looking at Stalls points right now, you are the only one in with a shout as have the top three correct (order to be decided).

The £1m will drop to a £750k prize for whoever correctly guesses the most correct placings (not just most in top 5 in random order). Fair enough?

Sounds good. 👍

EDIT: For those wondering where a couple of drivers were last night, Tom and Smuffy were in the Endurance Triple event's first race (Tom is only signed up for the first event, Smuffy for all 3).

Last edited:
Agree with this idea completely. If full lounges work fine, the more cars the better. 16 guys at every single Sprint Cup race would be absolutely epic.

EDIT: They aren't automatically illiterate though Matty, they've just all got dodgy accents ;)

EDIT 2: If you count all the guys in the chase as the regulars, add us 3 into the equation and that's still only 14 drivers. Should be plenty of room.

Well here's the official list of reserves for S2.

Carbonox
Chadwicksracing
Chqr
Cowboys965
Drift_Phish_II
DriveTheGuard88
funkyDucks
GTP_akmuq
JakobNascar88 - parked for remainder of Season 2
jedijoe727
MattyMc1996
mechyboy27
MrRedSox2542
mustardaddict
RedPartyHat
smuffyatfcp
The_Boyce
Tom_97_COD

Wouldn't quite go so far to say 'plenty of room.' They have just as much rights to be part of Saturday night or S3 as we do really.

Well if u strongly think all those guys are commited to doing a nationwide series to gain a possible bid into the sprintcup. Then start an interest thread and see who makes the commitment. If the interest is there then run a subleague.

I didn't really list the majority of those guys because they either did single races on a whim or signed up, did a race or two then forgot about it.

The guys that are willing to show up every week are the kind of guys you want in your series, not the ones who show up when they feel like it.

Finally my first race at Daytona without a disconnection and being involved in an accident. I started backing off the last 6 laps because I was afraid of running out of fuel. Fuel gauge went red just before the last lap. My tires looked great throughout the entire race. I could have ran 40+ racing laps. I almost missed the last wreck but I just barely tapped Mudd's spinning car. I'm happy with my 4th place since it is my last race of the season. Mustard it's all in your hands next week. Good luck at Indy.

Just watched the replay and honestly don't think I have much to say due to the very high quality of everyones driving last night. Hat's off to all for making it a thoroughly enjoyable night. Isn't that kind of racing we all originally signed up for and hoped to drive with other high quality Daytona pros. Let's face it guys, we are fkn good out there together, and with those distances.

I always love to watch the first ten or so laps of these races, just watch everyone jostling for position, having little personal battles with another team or drivers trying to get the lap led. Looking around you to see who you can work with and where they are relative to everything, as well as those you may want to stay a bit clear of. Knowing that with two wide lines of cars three or four deep, you can rely that they are as solid as anyone else out there. Quality stuff boys, better than any other Daytona racing I've seen on GT5.

As for the race, I had some good early scraps with Homeslice early on for laps led and won out on that by leading a large chunk, about 20 I think. My plan throughougt was to get in front and lead as many as possible by hook or by crook and race as hard as I could last night.

Then lap 25 started looming and wondered why Drop was asking Niop was OK when he looked perfectly fine up on the high line in no bother at all. It was just before Drop started moving over to pit and Niop had nowhere to go that I realised they were pitting. Definately more by luck than judgement it looks like it was me who blocked him from coming down. Credit to Niop there for making the right decision and staying where he was. Less skilled outside this league would have caused The Big One. 👍 I can't really take the credit for the block, but sorry bruvva :sly:

Pits mixed everything up on Lap 38. I took approx 5 ltr too much. If I hadn't then I would have caught right onto Joe as he went passed. That would have changed the complex of the race and the second pack after it had got together would not have caught Home, Joe, Do and myself (funnily enough, we were the top four anyway, so it's all relative).

I did however drop back for Mudd and we waited up for Crazy and Stall, with Carbon floating behind. Mudd made way for Crazy and Stall to come through to push me after a few laps, and then we started hitting some fast lap times. That order worked really well and with Furi coming back to get off Fords tail, we probably closed the lead three down too early as we had to let off the constant pace we were running. Ideal would have been the second pack just taking the line at the finish without once ever lifting off.

To, in the end have 8 cars on lap 73 of 75, allllll jostling for position, wondering what to do and strategising in their heads, second guessing themselves and those around them sometimes, was actually epic to watch and looking back, be part of. That kind of sht is unheard of online.

The was the incident which I just saw in my rear view, leaving me and the Fords battling for the line. Yes Home, good cat and mouse mate. Watched it back, then from your car on reverse cam, while watching your throttle action - Nice win Home, and good push too it by Joe. I did make a mistake and go slightly high coming out of four, allowing Joe in behind you and take you over. I don't slip high, I win last night. But great battle for it and well done to Ford.

OK, maybe I do have something to say after all, that's what a Sunday afternoon in on your own, in front of sports on TV, and a little smoke does for you.

And, man, what a race to finish the Chase with. Epic Drop, so much at stake for so many people. Nowww it gets interesting 👍 :gtpflag:

I thought tire wear was going to be an issue since we were practicing all week for a 2 stop. Then I'm out at the bar friday night and crazy texts me that we are running a 1 stop. I never practiced a 1 stop since I was out until 5am. I was napping(lol) before the race and crazy called me just in time to qualify. I feel something has changed with the tire wear in the past few weeks because at the Christmas 250 race I ran 33 laps and the tires looked very bad. Maybe the bad tire wear was caused by the bug/lag and the last few updates have made a difference.

Last edited:
Room up if anyone wants some NASCAR racing, look for "Furi's NASCAR Races"

Furinkazen
I want to apologise ro Carb and RFLX for yesterday.

I had a half decent car, mixed up some settings from the #18 and some of mine and could go 30 laps on tyres. Then I forgot to switch ABS on... :banghead: Also looped RFLX totally by accident (And Carb later), and was caught in the unenviable position of "Do I work with those damn Hendricks?", "Do I work with Ford or not" and "Should I just drop back?" all at once.

Oh well. Good to have been in this, i'll learn from my mistakes and I will be going for wins in future. Cheers to the #18 and #20 for help, and drop for setting this up. 👍

No worries Furi, we knew we would be at a higher risk at that point anyways trying to make up all that time, things just didn't work out. But I'm off to Indy now, gotta get ready for an awesome finale.

I feel bad for the guys that picked me for the title. I've had horrid luck and made some dumb decisions which have pretty much shut me outta the Chase. I feel like how Kyle Busch does midway thru the Chase every year lol.

Last night was an incredible race for us. I took too much fuel on the pit and that forced me to use my tires up to catch the leaders. The fact that we caught them though is a testament to the quality of drivers in this league. Props to Knelly, Crazy, and Mudd for getting ourselves back up there.

For those that saved the replay, Knelly leading lap eleven looked very similar to Kyle Busch's winning pass last night. Great timing.

I also did it in a full power open lobby the night before, setting up and passing the #42 (I think) to the exact same winning margin .010.

Homeslice was watching it at the time and commented on it.

Good to be the #18 today, after last night 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back