• 42 comments

Alex.

FEED ME PEOPLE
Premium
England
Northamptonshire
AlexGibbo27
Dozens Killed As Chile Hit By Major Earthquake

At least 52 people have been killed after a huge earthquake struck the Chilean coast, causing buildings to collapse in the capital Santiago.

President Michelle Bachelet has declared a "state of catastrophe" following the quake, which measured a significant 8.8 on the Richter scale.
Tsunami warnings have been issued for at least 53 nations, including South American countries, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands.
-Sky news

Another terrible natural event. Is Earth trying to tell us something here? Luckily Chile is much more sparsely populated, so hopefully the fatality and damage count will be less. However, it is not looking good so far. The death toll is currently 78.​

Last edited:
Earth wants us dead, but that's not important now.

What is important is that you spelled Chile wrong.

All oddness aside, This is yet another terrible earthquake. I think nature is trying to bankrupt us by sending donations everywhere.

I know, Chris. Was a figure of speech. I didn't actually think that Earth has a personality and is trying to hurt the human race.

However, back to the topic at hand. Incredible that Tsunami warnings issued as far as Australia. Also, I know about the spelling. I managed to get it right everywhere else except here.

Chile

If it's anything like the 2007 earthquake that I experienced in Peru (it was in the high 7s) then it's got to be pretty devastating for anybody there. The scariest thing about the earthquake I was in was the ensuing blackout and rioting that began to occur after the quake ended, hopefully this one ends as well as possible, and doesn't take any more lives than it already has.

Now apparently the island Juan Fernandez has been hit by a 131ft wave:nervous:

If I lived on the East Coast of Australia, I'd be heading inland right now :ill:

To put this quake into perspective, it is 600 times more powerful than the one hit Haiti, and there has already been one aftershock more powerful that the Haiti quake...

If I lived on the East Coast of Australia, I'd be heading inland right now :ill:
Hey hey hey, you realise there's a small-ish landmass between Chile and the east coast of Australia? And that I live on the east coast of it? :P

Jokes aside, 8.8 Richter... holy moly that's huge. Only 52 reported dead at the moment? I'd expect that to rise very rapidly very shortly...

no 78 so far and counting, Also an aftershock of 6.9. DAMN.

To put this quake into perspective, it is 600 times more powerful than the one hit Haiti, and there has already been one aftershock more powerful that the Haiti quake...

Yep, you can bet your swet ass the media are telling us.

And this whole situation: 🤬

I suppose Rush Limbaugh is rushing (hey, I made a pun!) over to his studio now to laugh at their misfortune, just like what happened with Haiti.

4 more confirmed deaths, 82 total now. Sadly, I'm sure they'll find more as time goes on. :(

Hope everyone in the Pacific is ok, be careful if you're near the ocean.

8.8 is a colossal earthquake, I'm genuinely surprised there have been so few deaths, relatively speaking. I would have thought an 8.8 would have travelled very far inland.

Maybe the earthquake struck a remote area with very few people. Maybe that's why the death toll is so low compared to Haiti's recent quake and the infamous quake that struck south-east Asia in 2004.

EDIT: I have just read this article here on the BBC News website. Apparently my above post is redundant. It did strike some cities, but Chile (unlike Haiti) has adapted to deal with these mega-quakes.

Last edited:
Very sad indeed. Hawaii is actually under Tsunami warning because of this, hope for the best.

CNN says:
Atleast 147 people dead, but death toll is likely to rise.
Doesn't sound good.

Hello GTPlanet. I tought i must write something here since I'm from Chile. There has been a lot of aftershocks and the death number is now over 150. The sky is grey because theres a lot of factories that have catched fire.

There's some difficult to get communication between people, cell phone "lines" are saturated, but services like electricity and internet are back in most part of my city (which is the main city of chile, Santiago)

This city was struck by a 7.0 earthquake, which is still a very "strong" earthquake and it caused many bridges to collapse in the city. It's worth mentioning that nearly 6 million people live in this region of the country.

The traffic was bad in the morning, everything is getting back to "normal" now, public transportation is working at 2/3 of the normal capacity.

The earthquake "center" was in Concepcion, a city with a population of 200,000 people, that city was devastated by the earthquake, its very difficult to get communication with that city and places nearby. It's like 300 KM from my city, which is not that far hence the 7.0 richter in my city

I don't know what else to say and how to structure it, if you want to know something else just tell me.

Sorry for my english, its far from perfect.

PS: I'm okay :D I wouldnt be posting here if I wasnt

Hey hey hey, you realise there's a small-ish landmass between Chile and the east coast of Australia? And that I live on the east coast of it? :P

Jokes aside, 8.8 Richter... holy moly that's huge. Only 52 reported dead at the moment? I'd expect that to rise very rapidly very shortly...

Auckland should be seeing a *very* small swell at 11am NZ time, and Christchurch should be alright, I think Gisbourne's being evacuated. my Auntie and Uncle in Malibu, CA are being evacuated as well.

Wow.. that just sucks... Not just for Chile, but also for the rest of the Pacific world... Unreal.. If the earthquake isn't bad enough, now Tsunami Warnings, and potential destruction of lives and property with those associated tsunamis. 🤬. --- Randy

Quite the opposite reaction usually occurs when we know big waves are coming.... people are are waxing their surf boards :lol:

Possible not for long?

All jokes aside, this is terrible news. It certainly reminds me how much at the mercy of nature we truly are. Lets just hope the death toll doesn't rise any further.

No, but you are... :nervous:

Matthew 24:7
Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.

Thankfully, the tsunamis do not appear to be as bad as had been feared. Clearly, the reports of 40m waves earlier in the day were a tad wrong, although it does appear that some of the islands of the coast of Chile have been hit pretty hard nevertheless, with 4 m waves reported in some areas.

Yeah, I get named a lot, oddly.

Even so, I'm not seeing how 5 magnitude 6+ earthquakes in 2 months is a sign of the end of days. In fact, it's kinda normal - August to September 2009 say 5 magnitude 7+ earthquakes. September to October 2008 saw nine 6+ earthquakes (and a 5.8). November to December 2004 had eight 6+ earthquakes, including an 8.1 and a 9.3, the second largest recorded earthquake of all time. Too recent? March to April 1992 had five at 6+.

Maybe having four of the 20 largest earthquakes ever recorded in 10 years is a concern for Matthew 24:7? Well, we also had four of the 20 largest ever recorded earthquakes in the 9 years between 1960 and 1969, 2 of those being in the top three (Chile 1960 at 9.5; Alaska 1964 at 9.2), and I'm reasonably confident the world didn't end.

Plate tectonics are not the wrath of God.

More like the wrath of natural nature.

To all the people involved you have my best wishes that everything will turn out as best it can.

Natural nature. I like that.

My stepson is stationed in Hawaii, they have a ground-floor condo in the designated inundation zone. They went upstsirs to the neighbors' place and watched.

As TM stated, wave heights were nothing like what was anticipated. I was unable to call him earlier, got "all circuits busy," but I saw a Facebook post from him talking about it, so at least I knew he was aware, and was hopefully getting my grandbabies to high ground.

Apparently upstairs was high enough. And I spoke to him a half hour or so ago.

I was struck by how many surfers were out there, and wondering what they were expecting. A tsunami is not a giant breaker they'd ride across the island. Had there actually been something comparable to the 2004 event there would have been a large number of missing surfers, carried out to sea by the initial recession, and thrashed into buildings by the incoming currents.

In 1960 a quake smaller than this one hit Chile and the tsunami that followed wreaked havoc on Hawaii (see some interesting pics here) and the japanese island of chichijima (pics. As my in-laws live on Chichijima I was immediately apprehensive when I heard about a huge quake in Chile. Fortunately for millions, there doesn't appear to be a devastating tsunami this time around.

Mathew 24:7

This is my last post at GTPlanet. Repent, find God, the end is near.

Last post? I suppose you're going to start building a bunker then. Earthquakes are quite common. Unlike global warming earthquakes are completely natural. Note the use of the word "completely". There have been earthquakes way before man ever existed, so don't go rushing to NASA for the next space shuttle to anywhere far away from Earth.

Um, climate change is completely natural as well, been going on in cycles for billions of years (i.e. before man ever existed,) but there's another thread for that.

Back