CLASSIC RACING Sundays 17:00-19:00 GMT: "Ford Ferrari Wars" LEX CHAMP by 1 Point!Finished 

Harsk100 - The Category 1 and Category 2 cars are running untuned. If you enter Category 2 you will be my tip to win that championship title and I think you will also beat some of the category 1 drivers!

GTPZiggy - Query answered via conversation message.

Harsk100 - The Category 1 and Category 2 cars are running untuned. If you enter Category 2 you will be my tip to win that championship title and I think you will also beat some of the category 1 drivers!
We'll see... But we can't tune the Shelby Cobra 1967... But if we put Racing Hard tyres, then it won't be tunning, right? (Just making sure)

We'll see... But we can't tune the Shelby Cobra 1967... But if we put Racing Hard tyres, then it won't be tunning, right? (Just making sure)

Category 1 and Category 2 are tuning prohibited so you are limited to an oil change, adjusting brake bias and fitting Race Hard tyres.

1.10 Update - Display of Racing Numbers

The 1.10 update has enabled the display of racing numbers on most premium cars - this post explains how this has affected the cars that we will be racing:

Historic BSCC
The Classic Mini and Buick Special are standard cars therefore the update has no effect on them. The Renault 8 Gordini is a premium car, but sadly you cannot display a racing number on it (quite bizarre as it comes as standard with race tyres - hopefully this will be corrected by PD).

Ford Ferrari Wars - Category 1
Ford MK4 and Ferrari 330 P4 are premium cars, but already have race numbers therefore the update has no effect on them.

The Jaguar XJ13 can now display a number of your choice - it should be in style A, Font A as these look the most realistic.

Gemasolar_1.jpg

The Chaparral 2D is a standard car and is already displaying a race number. The Cobra Daytona Coupe is a premium car, but sadly the blank white roundel cannot be filled by a race number - hopefully this will be corrected by PD.

Ford Ferrari Wars - Category 2
The Shelby Cobra can now display a race number - please use Style A, Font A as this looks the most realistic.

The Cobra Daytona Coupe is a premium car, but sadly the blank white roundel cannot be filled by a race number - hopefully this will be corrected by PD (NB the Cobra Daytona Coupe is eligible to race in both Category 1 and Category 2).

The Corvette C2 Race Car is a standard car and already wears number 614.

The Art Morrison Corvette is a premium car, but sadly cannot display a race number - hopefully this will be corrected by PD as this car is the closest we have in the game to the 1960 Le Mans class winning Corvette.

Anniversary Cars
Anniversary versions of cars are eligible to race, but numbers cannot be displayed on anniversary cars.

Caterham Cup
These are standard cars and cannot display a race number.

Chromeline Cars
Following additional testing it has been decided to allow the Chromeline Cobra to compete in Category 2 and the chromeline Jaguar XJ13 in Category 1.

The Chromeline Cobra has more power, less weight and an extra gear, but it has been found to have less grip and therefore produced very similar lap times in testing post the 1.10 update. It has a different character, therefore people may choose both Cobras as part of their selection of three cars if they are competing in Category 2.

Last edited:
Will chrome line cars be accepted? I can change the settings back to the normal car (have xj13).

Following further testing the Chromeline versions of the Jaguar XJ13 and Shelby Cobra will now be accepted.

The normal XJ13 is preferred, but if someone has already bought the chromeline version it will be accepted.

I got one question: Will GT40 respond with Racing Hard Tyres on both front and rear? Is because with RH/SS, I'm having doubts...

I got one question: Will GT40 respond with Racing Hard Tyres on both front and rear? Is because with RH/SS, I'm having doubts...

Hi Harsk - when I tested the Ford GT40 I could not control it on standard settings with matched tyres front and back. I also tested the Anniversary model. My view is that if you are using Race Hard on the back you have to fit Sport Soft or Sport Medium to the front. With race hard rear and sport soft front I was able to match or slightly beat my best Shelby Cobra time.

NEWS FLASH - you will have some strong competition in Category 2 as Flaco has decided to enter category 2.

Hi Harsk - when I tested the Ford GT40 I could not control it on standard settings with matched tyres front and back. I also tested the Anniversary model. My view is that if you are using Race Hard on the back you have to fit Sport Soft or Sport Medium to the front. With race hard rear and sport soft front I was able to match or slightly beat my best Shelby Cobra time.

NEWS FLASH - you will have some strong competition in Category 2 as Flaco has decided to enter category 2.
OK... But my tip for winning the category 1 is Lex.

Why support races at Trial Mountain if the Round 6 is in La Sarthe?

Because La Sarthe doesn't normally produce good racing and is not much fun in the lower power cars. We are doing la Sarthe with the cat 1 and 2 cars because they raced at Le Mans in real life.

Because La Sarthe doesn't normally produce good racing and is not much fun in the lower power cars. We are doing la Sarthe with the cat 1 and 2 cars because they raced at Le Mans in real life.
OK.... But I think the start of La Sarthe, we should make an start just like 1967:

See at 0:00 to 0:46. What do you think if we start this way like the 1967 one? I know that we're on 2014 but it would be better if we would start like the video which I referred above.

Do you mean run across the room to reach the sofa?
Ahahah, no! What I mean is parking your car like the in 1967 in front of finish line (before the 1st corner: Hunadières) and then after the countdown of 10 seconds, the race would start. I putted the video above so you can see what I'm talking about. :sly:

Last edited:
Look, if I paint my Cobra Daytona Coupe in Mountain Green for category 2, it will be an confusion because actually this Mountain Green is for Category 1... I thought that is to keep the Shelby blue if I'm competing in Category 2.

Look, if I paint my Cobra Daytona Coupe in Mountain Green for category 2, it will be an confusion because actually this Mountain Green is for Category 1... I thought that is to keep the Shelby blue if I'm competing in Category 2.

A quote from the guidance on page 1:

Category 2 Cobra Daytona Coupe - Blue - Keep colour standard to aid identification

Note - to make it cheaper for people to compete in Category 1 Cobras have been added to the list of alternative cars.

Hi Sick,

will do category 1, very nice and famous cars :lol:
If understood correctly, i need 3 cars of my choice/untuned/RH ?
PSN: OneRacer73 (will send you FR)
Have to begin some car choice testing......
Thanks

Hi Sick,

will do category 1, very nice and famous cars :lol:
If understood correctly, i need 3 cars of my choice/untuned/RH ?
PSN: OneRacer73 (will send you FR)
Have to begin some car choice testing......
Thanks

Yes - the 4 prototype cars all give very similar lap times untuned on Race Hard tyres - hopefully you can afford 3 of the 4. If not the Cobra Daytona Coupe is quickest of the alternative cars. The 2 types of Cobra and the Ford GT40 are slower than the Cobra Daytona Coupe, but lap as fast as each other. The Ford GT40 needs Sport Soft on the front if you use Race Hard on the rear - that isn't a problem as long as you remember during the pitstop. The Ford GT40 has a very high 1st gear so is slow off the starting grid and slow out of the pits - that should not be a major problem as we are doing longer races with these cars (25 minutes). If it proves to be a problem in the first race I will let people swap to a different car.

Added by edit - some of the photos were not displaying correctly so I have reattached them - it might be worth checking out page 1 of the thread again Smiley!

Last edited:
Thank you for answer - very helpfull. Will use 3 of 4 prototypes yes.

Will check the thread again. 👍

Awesome work.
:cheers:

Have you driven the Chaparral 2D with stock gearing lately? 0-60mph in 30 seconds, 60-150mph instant.

Very good comment TheJohnG - I pressed the Sick family into race duties this evening and armed with clipboards and stop watches we gathered the following data on 0-100mph times:

Ferrari 330 P4 = 5.68
Jaguar XJ13 = 6.26
Ford MK4 = 6.95
Chaparral 2D = 9.01

Cobra = 6.83
Corvette C2 Race Car = 6.86
Cobra Chromeline = 6.91
Art Morrison Corvette = 7.37
Cobra Daytona Coupe = 9.0
Ford GT40 = 11.17

I noticed today that the Ford GT40 seems to have trouble exiting the pits. I'll try some other tracks tomorrow, but the following are the times taken from the point in pitlane where the game takes control of the car until exiting and reaching 60mph - I used Tsukuba for the test so 60mph wasn't reached until completion of the bend following the pit exit.

Ferrari 330 P4 = 32.61
Chaparral 2D = 35.08

Cobra = 36.65
Ford GT40 = 53.84

If this problem with the GT40 is repeated at other tracks, I will need to delete it from the car option list (for some reason at Tsukuba it stays stuck on 16mph long after it has left the pit lane). Hopefully this problem is restricted to Tsukuba!

Done some quick tests online/open lobby yesterday with category 1 cars,

Nordschleife/tyre wear fast/untuned/1 lap race standing start/ABS/

Starting with the best car:

6:37.71 Chaparral 2D start is a bit slower (app 5sec) because of 3 speed gearbox (no tyre smoke and wear:tup:), but awesome car. (on curbs no throttle :lol:)
6:39:75 Ferrari 330 also awesome ....more direct driving, watch for the tail in corner entry when to fast
6:43:61 Jaguar XJ13 think best felling for driving - planted - , highest top speed, but slightly slower cornering than other two.

Those laps were driven with a few mistakes during the lap... so was fun driving.

All those 3 cars are dream machines - allow agressive driving 👍👍👍, gives you the right feeling and always happy to go round the corners.

Ford MK4 is great car, but SS/RH combo not so good for me... corner entry superb, plenty of grip and feeling,but on the exit not enough grip (front SS), must reduce speed or drive different exit line...
So i tried RH/RH - the car is very sharp which is excellent, but have to be very carefull with throttle/wheel positions, otherwise spin spin spin... lool
Also find the Ford 10-15km/h slower thru corners (my driving style)

Please those are just my thoughts... maybe will be helpfull to someone.

Finally i tried with fully customized McLaren MP4-12C /600pp (just to compare overall feel and speed) and was only few seconds faster then our legends.

Great idea Sick, beautifull, fast and awesome cars to drive !!

👍:cheers:👍

P.S. sorry for my english writting quality

Last edited:
GT40 removed from car option? And what will happen to drivers which are driving the GT40?

Sorry - I know you were looking forward to driving the Ford GT40 (Road Car) in Category 2, but I have done more testing with this car today and there are big problems with pit stops for this car. You now have 5 cars in Category 2 from which you need to choose 3.

I am very sad about this because it is nice to drive, beautiful, a historic icon and we would have had some great photos.

There appears to be a fault with PD's programming - when leaving the pit lane the Ford GT40 does not accelerate, but stays stuck, for a long time, on either 15 or 16mph depending on the track. For example at Brands Hatch, at the point where the Cobra has accelerated to 94mph the Ford GT40 is still stuck at 15mph. The track with the biggest problem appears to be Willow Springs Big Willow - the Ford does not accelerate until about half a mile after the pit lane exit!

I will check later to see if this problem is resolved by tuning the Ford GT40 - if it is I will design a championship to run in summer 2015 using this car - it is such an iconic car that it deserves to be used.

PS - great review SmileyWRX! I found all the 4 prototypes to be good on Race Hard tyres and only the Ford GT40 road car needs Sports Softs on the front - sadly due to the pit stop problems with this car I have had to eliminate it from the car choices for this championship.

Sorry - I know you were looking forward to driving the Ford GT40 (Road Car) in Category 2, but I have done more testing with this car today and there are big problems with pit stops for this car. You now have 5 cars in Category 2 from which you need to choose 3.

I am very sad about this because it is nice to drive, beautiful, a historic icon and we would have had some great photos.

There appears to be a fault with PD's programming - when leaving the pit lane the Ford GT40 does not accelerate, but stays stuck, for a long time, on either 15 or 16mph depending on the track. For example at Brands Hatch, at the point where the Cobra has accelerated to 94mph the Ford GT40 is still stuck at 15mph. The track with the biggest problem appears to be Willow Springs Big Willow - the Ford does not accelerate until about half a mile after the pit lane exit!

I will check later to see if this problem is resolved by tuning the Ford GT40 - if it is I will design a championship to run in summer 2015 using this car - it is such an iconic car that it deserves to be used.
It's too sad for GT40 to be removed because it is an great car but for other side, it would be unfair to another drivers, because drivers could complain about the car. So, for good of drivers, just do what you got to do. Hope that PD can fix that problem.

@SmileyWRX @Sick Cylinder

Which of the category 1 cars would you recommend for someone who likes to steer with the throttle? I like to accelerate early and steer / countersteer to fix the nose to point in correct direction :)

With the added power I am bit worried some of them might not be so easy / fun and running them stock does not let you adjust to your driving style...

I was planning to use the mk4 but not sure anymore...

I liked the C2 as it was a blast to whip around the corners with some (sometimes excessive) slip.

My understanding of the racing cars of that era from games and videos I have seen is that was how the cars where driven at that time.

Too bad about GT40, its quirky but one of my favourite cars for casual hot lapping in the series. Would have liked to use it in a race. I hope PD fixes it soon.

I like to drive bit more aggressive, late braking/steering pretty wide in the corner entry, then throttle/wheel combo with little oversteer and exit corner...
Very hard for me to do this with classics (old cars), but this category is uuauu ;)👍;)
All four cars in cat.1 are awesome, they are all great in any perspective.
I think that those stock/untuned cars are just awesome, FFB is awesome, can properly feel the car weight and actions. (Chevy C2 problem)

My choice - driving feel:

1. Jaguar XJ13
2. Chaparral 2D
3. Ferrari 330 P4
4. Ford MK IV (little to sharp in front otherwise great)

Cornering speed:

1. Chaparral 2D
2. Ferrari 330 P4
3. Jaguar XJ13
4. Ford MK IV (did not test so much but a bit slower app. 10km/h every corner)

Top speed: Nordschleife all three between 310 and 320 km/h (forgot about Ford sorry)

Hi Sick,

here is my final choice Category 1 cars for the series

Chaparral 2D
Ferrari 330 P4
Jaguar XJ13 original green nr. 47

Latest Posts

Back