• 24 comments

Danny

Code Red
Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
These are similar cars. I would lean towards the Clio. I like the styling and the shape.
If you have either of these, or have driven them, please tell me what you thought of them.
03golfr321.jpg

Volkswagen Golf R32 3.2
£22,300
240bhp
236lb ft torque
165bhp/tonne
153mph top speed
0-62: 6.6secs
0,1020,215255,00.jpg

Renault Cliosport V6
£25,995
230bhp
221lb ft torque
175bhp/tonne
147mph top speed
0-62: 6.0secs

I would take the Golf. Enormous power, 4WD and 4 seats clad in a relatively discrete shell works for me.

Plus, not being a Renault, you've got a chance of getting the R32 off the forecourt without it breaking down.

You've posted a pic of the Renaultsport Clio V6 255, but the stats of the 230... The 255 has 255PS (251hp), will top 153mph, 0-60mph in 5.6s and is typically £26,995 (although you can badger them down a bit).

As a second car, I'd take the Clio V6. It's just so gloriously ridiculous. Luggage space - one bag. Under the bonnet (hood)... And it's MR!

Well, if based on my heart, definitely the Clio. Brute looks, a wicked drive and a glorious sounding engine. Even Jeremy put it in his top 10 garage of all time!

For the family man, the R32 is probably the logical choice, as Giles said, it has 4 seats.

I voted Clio.

i've driven the previous model of the Cleo V6 you got up there, wasnt to impressed with it really felt far to twitchy and not really that fast considering a its got a V6 in the small Cleo frame. never driven the Golf but thats what i would take.

Originally posted by Motorer1
...which is why me and Famine chose the R32

Nup. I voted Clio. I could never vote for any VAG car. Ever.

Originally posted by BMW Power[/i}
i've driven the previous model of the Cleo V6 you got up there, wasnt to impressed with it really felt far to twitchy and not really that fast considering a its got a V6 in the small Cleo frame. never driven the Golf but thats what i would take.

The Renaultsport Clio V6 230 was famous for being highly twitchy, but the 255 is constantly rated as one of the best-handling cars ever. The car's problem is that it ISN'T a V6 in a small Clio frame. It's a V6 in a small Clio frame, which is strengthened to cope. It weighs over 1300kg, and has only a slightly better PWR than the FF Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup.

Originally posted by Famine
The Renaultsport Clio V6 230 was famous for being highly twitchy, but the 255 is constantly rated as one of the best-handling cars ever. The car's problem is that it ISN'T a V6 in a small Clio frame. It's a V6 in a small Clio frame, which is strengthened to cope. It weighs over 1300kg, and has only a slightly better PWR than the FF Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup.

so its basically ****e then? :lol:
thats why i chose the Golf, even though its a fat overweight boat with as much steering feel as my dual shock 2 (so i heard) :lol:

it would have to be really fun for me to go out and pay 20K for what at the end of the day is just a golf with AWD and a V6. while at the same time i could go out and get a used M Roadster with a 3.2 straight 6, 325bhp and rear wheel drive.

Originally posted by ultrabeat
BMW. *Pah*
Seen it all before.

maybe, but Golf? or was that a Beatle? or TT? or even a Seat Leon? get my point just about everyone of them is the same, of course this is maybe the exception with the larger engine and AWD but its still a 20K Golf/Beatle/TT/Leon :)

Originally posted by BMW POWER
its still a 20K Golf/Beatle/TT/Leon :)

John, Paul, George and VW? :D

That's the very reason I couldn't vote for any VAG car ever. Except the Seat Leon Cupra R, which I quite like... :D

The 255 Clio V6 is brilliant. Whenever they do a group test with one, they always stick an Evo 8 in there, because it's about the only thing that can keep up with it on the twisties (err, in the dry... :D). I heartily recommend a test drive of one to everyone.

Originally posted by BMW POWER
so its basically ****e then? :lol:
thats why i chose the Golf, even though its a fat overweight boat with as much steering feel as my dual shock 2 (so i heard) :lol:

Apparently the new V6 TT has the same problem. It has added power, but the weight of the engine gives it almost the same power to weight as the 1.8t version. And the awesome 4wd system is FF based, it has even more understeer.

Anyway.
Damn, I just checked the uk golf site and it looks like theve dropped the MKIV from the new cars list. I wanted to get the car price. I think it went for about £23,000.

I don't like the R32, same way BMW power doesn't. Every time it evolves it gets bigger and heavier, with worsening handling.

As for the Clio, yeah I bet its nice and fast. But it's impractical and I doubt it would be a good daily driver.

So my answer is.

Focus RS!

No not really, because i'm sure they've all been sold. Oh and it's meant to have very twitchy steering on motorway drives because of it's diff setup.

I'd probably go with the option I made up myself though because I have a soft heart for the RS marque.

I'm told the Focus RS is nigh on impossible to drive on a straight, road (e.g a motorway)...

Anyway... Golf R32 = Audi TT 3.2 with Golf body.. How dull is that? The Clio is at the least imaginative. :D

Clio V6 - Engine is in the right place and the drivetrain is as it's supposed to be :D

Originally posted by drifter7
volkswagon stole the r32 name from nissan so for that reason i choose the clio

HAhAHAhaahaHAaHAhaHa how pathetic.
I choose the Clio. even with AWD and a big engine, a Golf cant beat that car. I have seen one (incredibly rare in mexico) and it was AMAZING! I woud have loved to drive that, but bleh, no way. I like the car's pure sport appeal, and its obvious homage to the Renault 5 turbo, wich was also an awesome sports car. yeah, it might not be a practical street car, but that is why I like it over the golf. clio it is.

Cano

Originally posted by retsmah
I don't see how you could not like a mid engined hatchback :)

When it's the Nismo Micra Concept... Another MR hatch, but this one fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Then the wounds got all swollen.

I would choose the Clio V6 because its MR and looks much better. Also, I watched a Top Gear video on the R32 and it understeers like a badly setup FWD car.

The Golf weighs 3300lbs, whereas the Clio's at 2900lbs or so. I can't comment on the driving, because we don't get either, but the Golf isn't exactly a sporty platform to start with. It may be 4wd, but it's based on a FWD platform, and most of the weight is at the front, which, of course, means understeer.

Now, the Clio's also based on a FWD platform, but Renault put the engine in the back. Weight distribution's improved, it means the thing now oversteers (and according to the press, it's reminescent of a Porsche 930 Turbo, one moment it's fun, the other it's scary. Snap oversteer like a on-off switch!) And those looks, those looks! It's Group B all over again.

Clio for me, then. Just because it's different, and it's, on paper at least, the better driver car.

Back