Colin McRae DiRT - The Official Thread

• Thread starter icelt
  • 84 comments
I only played the last two CMR games, 2005 and CMR4, and both are more arcadey than DiRT. My favorite Rally game for consoles was the WRC series by Evolution Studios, and in many ways DiRT has an equal to superior overall physics engine.

However, the best physics I have found in a Rally game was Richard Burns Rally.

DiRT still suffers from a detached tires-to-track feel one often finds in arcade style games... but there are enough other aspects (previously mentioned in this thread) that at least for me, make up for it.

One thing that is starting to annoy me is the fact there is no rumble, as soon as rumble comes out I think this game will feel more "connected", if you know what I mean.

One thing that is starting to annoy me is the fact there is no rumble, as soon as rumble comes out I think this game will feel more "connected", if you know what I mean.

Yes I do know what you mean, although not everyone agrees with this perspective. However on a down note, DiRT doesn't show up in the DS3 compatible title list so I'm not certain if this iteration will ever get rumble. Here's a link to a copy of the list if you haven't seen it yet.

well, i finally finished my cockpit, so i just put my G25 to work for the first time. it worked fine with prologue, but i just cannot play this game with a wheel. it makes me look like an idiot. i can't even make 2 or 3 turns without crashing.

still trying different setups, but the wheel feels so "stiff" it's like i'm breaking my wheel when i try to turn... also, the car keeps bouncing from one side to the other. anybody else feeling the same? (that this game is unplayable with a wheel)

This game is a lot of fun, The other night i had a go with the Big Semi and was 4 wheel drifting up the hillclimb. its insane the power it has, 160kph up steep hills.

Really enjoying it.

icelt - the game engine used in DiRT is called the Codemasters NEON Engine and will supposedly run the next gen TOCA (Race Driver) aswell...

Robin

so they're actually gonna make a ps3 version! that's good news. i loved that game, DiRT based on the demo seems like a very good game as well. i'm gonna pick it up next time i buy a game.

I am dissapointd in that it does not support 900 degree steering:indiff: I would have figured that after the success of TOCA and the 900 degree steering on those games that they would have done it here. IT really makes for less jumpy control than this 180 junk. The cars handle too much like GT4 I figure they should have pattrened the offroad driving after TOCA which is much more responsive. Oh wel, I'll play it anyway:sly:

If Grid has the same graphics as dirt and also the same damage engine I will be very happy! :sly:..... this should be the case seeing as its the same team of devs and the same game engine.

If Grid has the same graphics as dirt and also the same damage engine I will be very happy! :sly:..... this should be the case seeing as its the same team of devs and the same game engine.

I'd say that GRID has slightly better graphics but that might be to do with the locations that are being used in GRID to the locations in DiRT. Also, because they mhave experience now with the PS3 they have probably learnt how to use the lighting effects better. Thus making a prettier game.

Sorry for the late bump, but trying to find an answer to my question here.

Does anyone know if you can unlock or use a cheat code to make all cars playable on any circuit? I really want to run a CORR Stadium truck up pikes peak.:(

Yeah, I read an interview about DiRT 2 on IGN a week or so back, it sounds like it's quite far off at the moment though.

I just got an Email from Codemasters, they are making DiRT 2.

The game is supposed to be released sometime in autumn of next year (I presume). They state the graphics will be 2X better than GRID. I still play Dirt on occasion, it is a real blast with the DFGT. Hopefully the online will be with other racers and not just based on time like Dirt was.

Ditto. The handling in DiRT was awful, to me at least. And the brakes were way to strong, none of the panic moments of previous games wondering if you'd make the corner or not.

Ditto. The handling in DiRT was awful, to me at least. And the brakes were way to strong, none of the panic moments of previous games wondering if you'd make the corner or not.

Agreed on the brakes. Although I did have plenty of "oops" moments. Handling for me was ok. Looking forward to #2, and hopefully they will allow you to drive any car on any track. Really disappointed that I couldn't take a CORR truck up pikes peak.:indiff:

I played DiRT again recently and I seriously dislike the handling, it seems to be so floaty and unresponsive.

Has anyone try tweaking the tuning options? It changed the way cars handle. I noticed awd cars turn and drift better when you mess with the diffs and brake pressure.

The physics are ok for the type game. It not for the hardcore, its just a simple rally game. Still a great racer with zero competition.

Im suprised that Evolution Studios hasnt tried to compete in the semi sim rally market with Grid seeing as they made tons of rally games for the PS1 and 2. I know they are busy with the Motorstorm francise but still... wheres WRC 5!

Also why isnt anyone making Richard Burns rally games anymore. They where the first to have stupidly photorealistic vegetation!

As for Grid 2 I think it will be as good as the first especially in the graphics market.

Robin

RBR didnt sold too good and it was too realistic for most normal players.
I have to say i never really played it....

I played DiRT again recently and I seriously dislike the handling, it seems to be so floaty and unresponsive.

Unresponsive?

If anything I'd say it's the opposite of that. When going from GT5:P or GTA4 driving, I always have to be more gentle with the stick.

Got the game about a week ago, good. Though I wish I can't complete a career event in 3 minutes. Does it get longer the higher up the ladder you get?

Unresponsive?

If anything I'd say it's the opposite of that. When going from GT5:P or GTA4 driving, I always have to be more gentle with the stick.

Got the game about a week ago, good. Though I wish I can't complete a career event in 3 minutes. Does it get longer the higher up the ladder you get?

They're probably short because theirs an insanely large amount of them.

Has anyone else had aproblem with Dirt causingtheir PS3 to freeze up? Pretty much from day one mine has, I'll be racing along fine but when I go to select a race option the game just seizes up andI have toshut the power off and reboot the machine. At first I thought itwas just my disc so I bought asecond game. Sure enough it freezes too, both discs freeze up so often I have actually quit playing the game itsjust sucking the fun right out when you have to reboot the machine every 10 to 15 minutes or more.No other game just Dirt...both discs.

Back