Colin McRae killed in helicopter crash

• Thread starter daan
  • 193 comments

daan

Salut Gilles
Scotland
Scotland
GTP_daan
Colin's helicopter has crashed near Lanark and there were no survivors. Its unknown at the minute who was flying it... :scared:

Crash Helicopter Registered To McRae

Updated: 21:11, Saturday September 15, 2007
A helicopter that crashed in rural Scotland today was registered to rally driver Colin McRae, it has been revealed.

Strathclyde Police said there were no survivors after the aircraft came down near Lanark this afternoon.

It is not known whether the former world rally champion, who has a pilot's licence, was on board.

Police have said extensive damage was done to the twin squirrel helicopter and they were not immediately able to confirm how many people had been travelling in the craft.

There will be no formal identification of any victims this evening.

The air accident investigation team are en route to establish the cause of the crash.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter was despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews and units from Strathclyde Fire Brigade.

Sky Correspondent James Matthews said: "My understanding is that the helicopter involved is registered to Colin McRae, the former world rally champion former world rally champion.

"He lives on an estate where this crash took place, the Jervis Wood estate just outside Lanark in the central belt of Scotland.

"All police will say it that they are in touch with the family to try to establish the identity of those on board the helicopter."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1284278,00.html?f=rss

-----

BBC Just say it crashed nearby without mentioning who owned it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6996860.stm

Colin McRae feared dead in helicopter crash

By Brendan Montague and Jasper Copping
Last Updated: 8:29pm BST 15/09/2007

Colin McRae, the former world rally driving champion, is feared dead in a helicopter crash in Scotland.

Colin McRae
Colin McRae was awarded an MBE in 1996

The aircraft burst into flames after it came down in woodland near Lanark, at around 4.10pm, killing everyone on board.

Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, last night told The Sunday Telegraph he had spoken to the driver's brother and that he had confirmed the former champion had been piloting the Squirrel aircraft.

Speaking from his home in Switzerland, Mr Freudiger said he was still in shock and fighting back tears as he said he could not reach Mr McRae's wife, Alison.

He added: "I have heard that it was his aircraft. He was in the helicopter. I cannot believe it was a helicopter pilot error because as my best friend and the godfather of my daughter I know he was a very safe pilot.

"We have been close business partners and friends for seven years. He is the best person I have ever met in my life. I have to try and understand what I have just been told."

The aircraft, which was registered to McRae, came down in Jervis Wood, around a mile from Mr McRae's home at Bellefield Road in Lanark.

The 39-year-old McRae – who has two children, Hollie and Johnny – became Britain's first World Rally Champion in 1995 and was still competing in the sport.

His father, Jimmy, was a five-time British rally champion, while his younger brother, Alister, is also a professional driver. Mr McRae has said he uses his helicopter, as well as a six-seater jet, to travel between his homes in Scotland, Monaco and Majorca.

He once told reporters: "I don't have things for show. I'm not brash and I'm not on an ego trip. If I buy something it is because I genuinely want or need it."

Squirrel helicopters can carry up to six people and police were last night unable to say how many people were on board.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: "There is at least one dead and no one survived the crash. We don't yet know how many people were on board."

The crash was witnessed by a farmer. The aircraft was so badly damaged by fire that police could not initially identify what type it was.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews.

Strathclyde Fire Brigade also sent units to the scene.

The RAF spokesman added that its helicopter was on stand-by to assist. Police have cordoned off the area and the Air Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.

A spokesman for the British Airports Authority said the helicopter did not come from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports.

Four people were killed when a Squirrel helicopter crashed in Cambridgeshire, earlier this year.
From the Telegraph.

Grew up playing his games and watching him tear it up on TV. :(

No. He's only "feared" dead at the minute. AFAIK there has been no official confirmation.
AFAIK his wife has confirmed it. Apart from the german news bit, I haven't seen an english one yet.

EDIT: I just checked the BBC website. It seems police says there will be no official information about the casualties of this accident until tomorrow.

Aww, hell. Now we have to watch an American motocross Freestyle MX rider grow up to take his place...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece
Rally champion Colin McRae dies with son in helicopter crash

THE former rally driving champion Colin McRae was killed and his five year-old son feared dead in a helicopter crash yesterday afternoon. The aircraft came down in Jerviswood, Lanarkshire, half a mile from the family's home and burst into flames just after 4pm. Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, said the 39-year-old driver had been piloting the helicopter himself. Also on board were believed to be his son Johnny, another adult and another child. Police said there were no survivors.

Oh no, if he really is dead we will have lost two great british world champions - the first being Richard Burns.:nervous:, I just hope he is alive....

My condolences go to his friends and family.

Well despite not being officially confirmed yet it does unfortunately seem likely that he was piloting the helicopter in which case the news is indeed not good at all (not that any accident of this nature would ever be good).

My thoughts go out to all those on the helicopter and their families.

Scaff

Seems it's bad luck to have a game named after you when you're a rally driver.
R.I.P. mr. McRae

Oh no, if he really is dead we will have lost two great british world champions - the first being Richard Burns.

And the only 2 British World Rally Champion drivers.

Here's hoping he wasn't in it, however remote the chances are. It always seemed like he'd be around forever, doing nutty things in rally cars.

Wow, this is a real shame. Helicopters seem to have taken a number of peple from us that we'd much rather still have around. I'm especially sorry that his son and others were with him. My thoughts go out to their families.

Wow. What a big loss for the world. He was probably one of the best drivers fullstop maybe the best in WRC.

R.I.P

this is just beyond comprehension i cant take it in at the moment.

its just a total absolute shock. he was a hero and a legend R.I.P

*edit* i guess it would be a good idea to list our memories here. im sure we've got loads

Back