Conservatism

Huh.

Screenshot-20240818-200757-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Huh.

Screenshot-20240818-200757-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Frankists masquerading as Jews? I'd hate to hear her views on Anne Frank.

I wonder if @RealCandaceO is an AI algorithm masquerading as a far right Tweepxer account. "GriftBot 2.1".

Last edited:
I'd hate to hear her views on Anne Frank.

I wonder if @RealCandaceO is an AI algorithm masquerading as a far right Tweepxer account. "GriftBot 2.1".

Well she doesn't believe Mengele didn't do horrific experiments so I think we can take an educated guess on what she thinks of Anne Frank.

UK view - I grew up in quite an affluent part of the country with parents who I think always lean right when there's an election on the way. I've heard them being scathing about Labour and their "big pot of money from the sky" and moaning about how 'woke' everything is these days. They're not bad people, far from it - they're just, despite being fundamentally intelligent people, not clued up politically and believe what they read in the (right wing) Daily Mail. Probably, in my younger days, I might have too. Because I didn't know better.

For that reason, although I very much consider myself firmly on the left as an adult, I don't really have any ill will towards people who vote Tory. Why would I? Not everybody is genuinely interested in politics, I wasn't until my twenties. And if you don't have your finger on the pulse on current affairs why wouldn't you believe the right wing media? Nowadays it's all presented as being about culture wars, the fight against woke, all of that, and the reason why you're struggling to make ends meet is because of immigrants coming in and stealing the money that you should be getting, rather than years of austerity, or the utter failure of brexit. I know that's bollocks, not everyone does.

I got interested in politics in my early 20s because 1. I met my wife, who's very strongly involved and staunchly left, with relatives who were badly affected by Thatcher's closing the mines in the North East, and 2. I began working as an A-Level teacher and began to cover it. And that gave me a level of interest I just didn't have previously and kinda changed my views on most things. So if those two things hadn't happened, I'd probably still, growing up in rural Berkshire/Gloucestershire and with Daily Mail reading parents who dislike Labour out of principle, hold those beliefs myself.

Where I struggle, specifically with my parents but also with people who still stand by Brexit etc, is that people maybe should know better. My parents might have been Southerners who considered themselves well educated etc, but we certainly didn't grow up with loads of money. We lived on a council estate in Hungerford and drove round in a rusty Nissan Micra. My brother is profoundly deaf and has a learning disability and has lived in supported accommodation all his life, and the deterioration in his care over the last 14 years has been really notable and concerning, yet still....

Bottom line, I try not to judge people on how they vote because there's so much mainstream influence pushing people towards the right. But I'm glad I know my own mind these days.

Sorry to switch topic slightly, but I had a thought (brain fart)

Just a dinosaur question:

Isn't conservatism just a delayed progressive program....?!

Because conservatism back in the 1900s isnt the same thing as conservatism in the 2020s.

Similarly "liberals" or progressives have continuously pushed the boundaries, conservatism movement are just people at the very end of the train wagon, following behind but way way much later, just because they never want to change right away, but they will eventually?

I guess conservatives are more "pragmatic" to put it nicely.

Last edited:
Sorry to switch topic slightly, but I had a thought (brain fart)

Just a dinosaur question:

Isn't conservatism just a delayed progressive program....?!

Because conservatism back in the 1900s isnt the same thing as conservatism in the 2020s.

Similarly "liberals" or progressive in the has continuously push the boundaries, conservatism movement are just people at the very end of the train wagon?

It's accurate in some respects, but I think it paints a slightly inaccurate picture. For one, it's not the same people on the train. For two, it's not the same train. The picture that's being painted is of a train with two people on it, always headed to the same destination. One person who wants to get to the destination, and the other is becoming more and more ok with the path as time goes on, but never ok with the destination. So one of the passengers has this principled consistently validated worldview, and the other has this reactionary consistently invalidated worldview. But that's not quite right.

Conservatives from today are not the same people, and don't agree with, conservatives from 100 years ago. It's not inconsistent, they likely never fully agreed. Similarly for progressives. The train metaphor is misplaced because it's not always headed in the same direction. Progressives back then and progressives now don't always agree.

What's really happening is that some people think they can improve society, and some people think they can't. It's a principled disagreement between whether forward movement is possible, or if some mistake has been made and change is problematic. From that perspective, the train analogy and the hypocrisy presented fall apart.

It's more like a dichotomy between people who are satisfied, or were satisfied, and people who are/were not.

Edit: Incidentally, this is why the "ignorance is a virtue" concept takes hold within conservatism. Because at the core of conservatism is a skepticism that human beings are smart enough to make structural improvements in society. This position, of course, flies in the face of all evidence.

Last edited:
Back