Corvette saved because carjackers can't drive manual.

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 62 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
Carjackers who tried riding off with a Corvette had to abandon their heist when they realised they couldn't work the manual gear shift — even with help from the owner.

Driver Randolph Bean pulled up his bright yellow sports car outside a medical centre in Orlando, Florida, to pick up his wife from work late last Sunday night when he was caught by surprise by two would-be thieves.

One was armed with a gun.

Mr Bean told police one of the thieves forced the door open and then dragged the 51-year-old out of the driver's seat and onto the ground.

The thief, still pointing the gun at Mr Bean, then had to ask him how to start the car.

"I had to tell him four different times to push in the clutch, because it's a standard transmission," he told FOX News.

"My first thought was, 'I guess we don't have driver's education in school anymore because no one knows how to drive a stick'.

"And my second thing was, 'Don't shoot me because you can't start the car. I'm trying to help you out here.'"

The suspects finally gave up and fled the scene with Mr Bean's wallet and mobile phone.

Police searched the area for the robbers but failed to find anyone matching their description.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/20...-saved-because-carjackers-cannot-drive-manual

What is more stupid.

Not knowing how to drive a manual.
or
Trying to steal a sports car which 95% is a manual.

No one can steal my car. It's basically undriveable. Between the cold-running stumble due to the wild cams, the need to manually switch engine maps between "cold", "hot", "propane" and "high-octane" and the wonky running on propane when heat-soaked, it's a nightmare for anyone else to drive.

What is more stupid.

or

Actually, IIRC ~70% of Corvettes sold are auto's. (Base models, atleast)

I saw this story on the news though and the car in the story was a yellow C5 Z06, of which all were manual.

What is more stupid.

or

Eh. Carjacking a Corvette from what sounds like was literally the stereotype of a Corvette owner (which I find just as funny as the news itself) seems like it would have a pretty good chance of the car being a slushbox to the casual eye.

Last edited:
Actually, IIRC ~70% of Corvettes sold are auto's. (Base models, atleast)

I saw this story on the news though and the car in the story was a yellow C5 Z06, of which all were manual.

I recall seeing that 55% of (recent) Corvettes are automatic.

As for it being a ZO6, most people don't even realize variations exist so certainly not surprising two sloppy car thieves wouldn't know :lol:

Well obviously people dont know how to drive manual :P Automatic is the only thing they learned :P.... So Mr.Bean is saved.. .His Vette saved him

Let me start by saying this.

1. If you steal a car with On-Star you deserve to go to jail for life because YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT AND ARE TOO STUPID TO BE ALLOWED IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

2. You going to steal a car that you have no clue how to drive? Once again you are a complete idiot and are too stupid to be allowed in the general public

Let me start by saying this.

1. If you own a car with On-Star you deserve to go to jail for life because YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT AND ARE TOO STUPID TO BE ALLOWED IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

Fixed it for you.

I'm a little confused by this 'push in the clutch, because it's a standard transmission' does he mean it has the feature where the the clutch has to be down before turning the key or it won't start?

I'm a little confused by this 'push in the clutch, because it's a standard transmission' does he mean it has the feature where the the clutch has to be down before turning the key or it won't start?

Yea...

I thought every car with a standard transmission needs the clutch to be pushed all the way in, before you start the engine.

Yea...

I thought every car with a standard transmission needs the clutch to be pushed all the way in, before you start the engine.

No, it seems most US cars with a clutch have that function, but it's very rare on anything other than a US car.

I remember when my dad bought his 1970 Bel Air. When we bought it I started the car, and I knew already that I had to push the clutch to start it. The next day my dad wanted to drive the car, he gets in, turns the key... nothing. After 10 minutes or so, he called me and said that the car wouldn't turn over... If I could get over to check what was wrong.

I get in the car, push the clutch, turn the key and the car fires up. I turn it off and let my dad have another go, without telling him he should push the clutch. This went on for half an hour of mockery and fun making against him, and then I finally told him the trick.

:lol:

Not here in the UK...

On which car?

If you put the car in gear you need to disengage it by using the clutch to start the car, unless the car as this feature on it that does this for you.

Whatever, any manual I've been in you've needed to, I just assumed you did since it only makes sense.

No one can steal my car. It's basically undriveable. Between the cold-running stumble due to the wild cams, the need to manually switch engine maps between "cold", "hot", "propane" and "high-octane" and the wonky running on propane when heat-soaked, it's a nightmare for anyone else to drive.

Just trying to get our truck started is a pain but that sounds bad :lol:

Grayfox
By the looks, it was put in 1st and he started it with his foot on the accelerator.

Plus it looks fake.

No it was 100% real. Hahahaha nothing fake about that video. I believe it made news and was on a episode of Tosh.O if i remember correctly.

His kid didn't know how to drive a stick. It was in 1st gear and when he started it took off and went through the garage. The kid didn't know how to drive a straight shift.

Brand new car was the reason for filming it. It was brand new Shelby GT500 Mustang I mean sure you want pictures or video of it when you pull it into the driveway.

But who keeps the car info on the passenger window after you buy it, this blocks your view on traffic and is illegal.

At the 1:00 mark you can see into the back of the garage and you see no car or light from the damage done to the garage.

At 1:12 you can see the damage done to the wall but no damage to the car, no scratches or dints.

With that hole in the garage there would have been light visible at 1:00 when you look into the garage

Grayfox
But who keeps the car info on the passenger window after you buy it, this blocks your view on traffic and is illegal.

At the 1:00 mark you can see into the back of the garage and you see no car or light from the damage done to the garage.

At 1:12 you can see the damage done to the wall but no damage to the car, no scratches or dints.

With that hole in the garage there would have been light visible at 1:00 when you look into the garage

Hahahaha believe it or not it is real. And it isn't illegal to have that sticker there hahaha.

Considering there are laws against how much window tint is allowed to be applied, I'm sure this also counts as an obstruction and thus a danger to other drivers.

Back