Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
danoff
Yes. The same old argument all over again . Earth seems to be very very convinced by his computer analogy (which falls apart under scrutiny).

Earth, this part is valid.

In fact, it's SO valid, it actually defeats your own argument. How can you believe in God if we could all be in a computer program controlled by some aliens who stuck us here for their amusment? If that's a possibility, then how can you KNOW that God exists?

Maybe we're a reality show?

GP to Earth, GP to Earth. Are giant squid smarter than humans? :)

Anyone reading this thread who enjoys Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series - and for those who don't, why the fudge not? - should go and pick up copies of the 3 "The Science of Discworld" books ("The Science of Discworld", "The Science of Discworld 2: The Globe" and "The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch").

Each contains a story, written by Pratchett, based on how the wizards at the UU accidentally create a universe where planets are spherical (taken from an earlier Discworld book), rather than the more logical disc on the back of four elephants on the back of a giant turtle swimming through space and covers their activities investigating and - given that wizards are the last people you put in front of a button marked "DO NOT PRESS OR ELSE" - interfering with it.

Every other chapter is written by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen covering, at a reasonable level (sort of basic, but sort of not), scientific themes covered in the previous story chapter. The third book - "Darwin's Watch" - is extraordinarily apposite to this thread.

Earth
OK

First, I would like respect from evolutionists etc. Science is about having an open mind and being open to any possibility, right? Then why is the possibility of a creator x'd out? Nevermind the God of any religion, but a creator in general. Those who claim to be scientific and also claim to want to know the truth and nothing but the truth have no choice but to leave a creator as a possibile option for the creation of the universe and/or man. Not doing so shows that you are not truly interested in absolute truth but are dogmatic.

Agreed. I think nobody here will claim that it is not possible that a supreme being of some sort exists and/or created us in some sense.

Comments such as 'only the ignorant believe otherwise' are evidence of those who lack faith in their own theory but believe trashing opponents of their theory will dismiss their beliefs.

Agreed. But comments such as "only the ignorant believe x" aren't the same thing.

The Genesis account allows for much more time than 6 days for the creation of the universe, that has already been discussed so moving on

As long as sombody doesn't pop up who says otherwise... then yes we can move on.

The order the Genesis creation account has creation appearing is correct, is it not? But some say why did God create stars last? The creation account was written by an earthly observer. Remember that

On the first ‘day’ the expression ‘light came to be’ was used. The Hebrew word used their for light was ‘ohr, meaning light in a general sense, but on the fourth ‘day’ the word changes to ma*’ohr, which means the source of light.

So we're sticking with the idea that god supplied light and heat for the grass and trees he created so they could hang in there until he made the sun later (for some reason). Ok.

On the first day light penetrated the waddling bands, but the sources couldn’t be seen by an earthly observer because of the cloud layers around the entire earth.

Moses didn’t see the source of light until the 4th day, where he saw them for the first time.

Ok I don't see why we're talking about moses right now so I'll just move past this part...

So if the stars and the sun was created 'in the beginning, or before everything, then the steps of life appearing in Genesis, plants, fish, land animals, then man is correct acording to scientific fact.

Aside from the idea that plants were created before the sun... the order kinda makes sense.... but not in a direct fashion. In a God-made-it-directly sort of way, it doesn't gel with fossil records.

Nevermind that evolution states that man came from a species of ape, but in reality the theory states man came from fish, too. So it can seriously be said that fish are your long ago ancestors. Are you ready to accept that as scientificly plausible?

Yup

To our knowledge, no 'link' connected this new beast to any previous form of life. The fish just appeared." - Marvels and Mysteries from our Animal World

I'm going to leave this one to Famine. It's not impossible for something to evovle into existance in a relatively short period of time (relatively quick in fossil record terms is hundreds of thousands of years)

Lets fast forward to the apes, evolution-wise. Why did a species of ape evolve above his counterparts? If his counterparts were smart enough to survive, why did this special species evolve to higher status? In fact why did this species evolve to domination over anything and everything on the Earth? Was that needed to survive? No. And if primitive man spent all his time cave dwelling and being stupid, why did he improve? Why is the most powerful object in the universe in the skull of a stupid caveman? In fact some have come to know so called neandertahl had bigger brains than modern man, yet they reason he was stupid. Contradiction

Ok A) brain size means nothing. B) The ability to use tools conferred a survival advantage. We're still working with that basic reasoning. People with the ability to learn and communicate survived much better than those who didn't learn these things. With learning and communication comes the rest of man's knowledge given a few thousand years.

Modern apes, for instance, seem to have sprung out of nowhere. They have no yesterday, no fossil record." - Science Digest

Gaps in the fossil record? How can that be? You're glossing over all of the continuity in the fossil record and focusing on a few gaps.

Several reasons that I can think of for outright denying the existance, or even the possibility of a creator is that some say they only believe in what they can measure or see.

That's a hilarious tactic. Invent a new argument for your oppoenent and then defeat it. Very funny.

As for the 'miracles' and the 'unscientific' happenings in the Bible, consider this. A computer designer creates a virtual world for his subjects. He gives these subjects immense A.I. , Enough to notice their surroundings and learn about it. But since they are restricted to a virtual world they cannot see their creator. Their designer isnt even made up of the same things as them. If the computer designer changed the color of the sky to red instantly the virtual subjects would instantly scream 'Miracle!'. Cannot the creator of the virtual world change the composition of anything if he wanted by merely altering computer code? In doing so the much lower life might see this as impossible, as they have no way of doing it and it never happens due to precise laws the computer designer put into effect. They know they are made of polygons, and that things change due to computer code, which they see as unchangeable. Yet when the computer code is altered by the grand designer they say 'miracle' when in indeed it isnt. Think of this. If you were a cockroach could you understand a human? If you were A.I. Inside a computer code could you understand your far superior creator's power or how he uses it? No

I have more to say but later.

As I said, this last part is valid but it hurts your own religious beliefs.

Can I just state that for the record, genesis can't be right because the sun and stars are exactly the same thing. Creating them on different days makes no sense whatsoever.

Can I just state that for the record, genesis can't be right because the sun and stars are exactly the same thing. Creating them on different days makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe God considered our Sun special.

He could MAKE them harbor life. After all, he made ours harbor life, right? Yup, that's right. No denying it. I mean, look at all that evidence. I even made some up on www.answeringgenesis.com if you don't believe me but I'm not going to tell you where!11!

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2

Like Creationism vs Evolution...but only more stupid.

"Traditional scientists admit that they cannot explain how gravitation is supposed to work," Carson said. "What the gravity-agenda scientists need to realize is that 'gravity waves' and 'gravitons' are just secular words for 'God can do whatever He wants."
Dr. Ellen Carson

Imagine what it would be like to be as stupid as this person. I think this sums up why I hate fundies so much.

btw stole link from fark.com

"Intelligent Falling"! Bwahahahaha! What a bunch of dumbasses.

"We just want the best possible education for Kansas' kids," Burdett said.

What they really want is a subtle way to enforce their views upon other people and attempt to make it seem as though the Church is always right. Because the church is a tad arrogant.

"Let's take a look at the evidence," said ECFR senior fellow Gregory Lunsden."In Matthew 15:14, Jesus says, 'And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.' He says nothing about some gravity making them fall—just that they will fall. Then, in Job 5:7, we read, 'But mankind is born to trouble, as surely as sparks fly upwards.' If gravity is pulling everything down, why do the sparks fly upwards with great surety? This clearly indicates that a conscious intelligence governs all falling."

LMAO. This guy has no understanding of physics whatsoever!

[edit]

Nice how he mentions the bible doesn't say anything about gravity. Maybe because the word wasn't invented until a few hundred years ago?

I'm waiting for a fundie to back this crap up! They will point out some Bible passage, as if the fact it's in the Bible makes it fact, talk some crap about God knowing all, point to a biased website at an article wrote by a child molester, that trys to prove said insane theory using pseudo science to cover up the fact he knows bugger all. There's a 99% of Bible quotes being used, making the article sound even more ridiculous. Much like trying to prove Creationism then. When we says he's talking crap, the fundie will cry about us not having open minds because we won't listen to garbage just made up. Anyone can make up theorys, and no, the Bible is not evidence in anyway shape or form, the people who wrote it were not there at the begining either. They *shock horror* just made it up.

http://www.venganza.org/

"WHY YOU SHOULD CONVERT TO FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTERISM

* Flimsy moral standards.
* Every friday is a relgious holiday. If your work/school objects to that, demand your religious beliefs are respected and threaten to call the ACLU.
* Our heaven is WAY better. We've got a Stripper Factory AND a Beer Volcano.
"

I'm sold. Who needs proof, stripper factory w00t. I challenge a Creationist to prove that the FSM did not exist and create the Earth (and a midgit).

*makes a pirate hat*

(I'm aware I'm not the first to mention the FSM in this topic)

In a desperate attempt to get an answer for my "Who created God?" question, I asked Google. I got zillions of hits, but of course I immediately went straight to the source:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/197.asp

I learned the following from those folks:

...God by definition is the uncreated creator of the universe, so the question “Who created God?” is illogical, just like “To whom is the bachelor married?”...

...God, unlike the universe, had no beginning, so doesn’t need a cause...

Well, I had no idea it was that simple. God is "uncreated" and "had no beginning". Right. Got it. I'll sleep well tonight, as long as I don't think about the concept of an uncreated being that had no beginning that happens to have the power to create an infinite universe...

Something just dawned on me:

Creationists say that God had no creator but find it implausible that humans or the universe had no creator?

That's just lovely hypocrisy.

PS
Something just dawned on me:

Creationists say that God had no creator but find it implausible that humans or the universe had no creator?

That's just lovely hypocrisy.
I think that's been pointed out before, PS. :rolleyes: :D

P.S. I read some of the earlier posts in this thread, and my usernames back then seems to be "Famine's Punching Bag". :guilty:

PS
...Creationists say that God had no creator...

In fact, Jonathan Sarfati of AIG says that just asking the question "Who created God?" is "illogical". The very pondering of the concept is an error. According to him, we shouldn't even be thinking about it.

Zardoz
In fact, Jonathan Sarfati of AIG says that just asking the question "Who created God?" is "illogical". The very pondering of the concept is an error. According to him, we shouldn't even be thinking about it.

Well Greg Taillon of GTP says that just asking the question "Who created the universe?" is "illogical". The very pondering of the concept is an error. According to me, we shouldn't even be thinking about it.

PS
Well Greg Taillon of GTP says that just asking the question "Who created the universe?" is "illogical". The very pondering of the concept is an error. According to me, we shouldn't even be thinking about it.

Fair enough! Let's all just go get drunk, instead...

It's a good exercise to discuss things that we don't understand. The Scientific community talk about infinity like it's second nature because we have accepted our own lack of comprehension of infinity. We would like to think that we are intellectual enough to comprehend infinity, but the very concept is incomprehensible. We say, "Sure, infinity is forever", but that doesn't mean we have the slightest grasp of being able to define something so beyond our comprehension. It's not surprising when people can't comprehend God in much of the same manner. If you can accept (not comprehend) infinity, then you can also accept God. If you can't accept infinity, it's no surprise that you can't accept God. You want to understand and dissect the existence of God and it will never happen. We don't even understand our own species, how can we expect to understand God. The ONLY conclusion that is logical is that there IS a force that exists beyond all time and space and it is that force all things have come from. You might call that force something else, I call it God. By my own definition of God ( however of a humble attempt it might be ) God undeniably exists.

A couple of theological questions, if I may.

If you believe in the Genesis account, do you also believe in the exceptions to our diets made in Leviticus? Specifically, pork (swine) but also camel, coney, hare, "all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters", eagle, ossifrage, ospray (sic), vulture, kite, raven, owl, night hawk, cuckow (sic), hawk, little owl, cormorant, great owl, swan, pelican, gier eagle, stork, heron, lapwing, bat, weasel, mouse, tortoise, ferret, chameleon, "lizard", snail, and mole.

Secondly, why, do you think, is there no physical description of Jesus in the Bible?

And why is he a white man with long hair and a beard if those of a middle eastern decent tend to have darker skin and darker hair?

Pako
If you can accept (not comprehend) infinity, then you can also accept God. If you can't accept infinity, it's no surprise that you can't accept God. QUOTE]

We can accept infinity because there is no end in sight. Literally. With the billions of lightyears out there that the telescopes alone can see, and the rays of light and other cosmic energies received from various sensors and data collectors (including satellites that have left our solar system), it has been determined that given the data, the universe is simply on going. Constantly expanding. That means its size has no limit, and is thus infinite. Which is much easier to grasp than one guy, who created everything, who has no creator, who told some guy to do some stuff, who got some other guys to write a book full of hypocritical guesstimations.

PS
And why is he a white man with long hair and a beard if those of a middle eastern decent tend to have darker skin and darker hair?

Simple, why did the Irish paintings of Jesus have him with red hair and freckles? Because that's what the people that they KNEW looked like. That's all. This was before you could turn on a TV or hop in a plane and just know that other people looked different.

PS
Which is much easier to grasp than one guy, who created everything, who has no creator, who told some guy to do some stuff, who got some other guys to write a book full of hypocritical guesstimations.

To ask "where did the universe come from? " and "Where did God come from?" is the same question.

BTW, famine, I'm not ignoring your questions. I just have limited time to post right now.

Back