Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
danoff
I wish you wouldn't stick with this "accident" reference. I've explained several times how evolutionists do not think life was an accident. You can believe there is no god and still believe that we are not an accident.

If it has no afformentioned plan or design, it was an accident.

Earth
any change by breeding or anything else does not produce new creatures.

ANY AND EVERY genetic mutation has not created a new kind but simply a small variation, usually harmful. but the animal remains the same.

Can you comphrehend just how long 1 million years is? Time does not go slower or faster. Just because we summarise the last 50 million years down to a few picture drawings, doesnt mean it happend in 100 years.

we only live 70 - 100 years, we can never really comprehend just how long 10,000 years is let alone millions. 1000 or so years is probably the most that i can comprehend and truely understand just how much can happen and how long it is.

Earth
Who takes care of all the plant life?

What the hell do we care?

Sure a change in plant life could cause a change in the types of surviving species, but that's not related to this thread.

An accident is something that was not meant to happen, but did.

You just claimed we were an accident, and are thus not part of God's original plan. Congratulations.

any change by breeding or anything else does not produce new creatures.

Actually it does.

As a species has genetic hiccups and various mutations, it begins to change. It may not be able to reproduce with the species from which it was born. Due to certain environmental factors, more of that sub-species may arise. If these live long enough, the sub-species may be able to reproduce with other members of that sub-species, if they are capable. Eventually a new population may be established (in 1 year, 10 years, or 10,000 years) in which that sub-species can have its own sustainable niche.

Now, that sub-species may go through a few changes. Physical changes, keen to its environment. The skin may get tougher, the paws may get larger, the leg bones may get shorter. Anything. With enough changes, and eventually to the chromosomes—likely from a benevolent mutation—the sub-species can no longer mate with the original from which is came.

The original one may also have changed, over the years. Making it even more different. It may have receeded into the water, leaving the once sub-species (which is now its' own genus) to have the land for themselves, and thus take advantage of it and grow to its maximum potential.

Like Native Americans. When North America was discovered by Leif Ericson or that Irish Preist so many seem to think discovered it, the natives were almost 5'10''. That's because they grew to their near-maximum potential. The French and other European cultures were too busy dealing with famine, disease, malnutrition, and other very poor societal factors.

With their high-protein diets and abundance of buffalo, caribou, moose, deer, elk, and other animals of the wilderness, their bodies changed and benefited from it.

Some scientists think the Inuits eyes are slanted to help combat the high-speed chilling winds, which they lived in for an estimated 10,000 years. That's a prime example of evolution. Unfortunately, the changes were minor and I am not able to give some great big mind-blowing example.

Earth
...All humans are just that, human. neandertahl, cromagman everything, they are just humans, nothing more nothing less...

Actually, Neanderthals were not like us. Close, but not us. This story sums it up pretty concisely:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3431609.stm

Back in '97, the first of several DNA studies indicating that they were separate and distinct was published:

http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA10/neander797.html

Later DNA studies pretty much proved that no trace of their DNA exists in our gene pool, so there was no interbreeding back in the day, either. There's still a little debate on that, though.

They were tough, and good at adapting to their environment, but they didn't think like us. They apparently made no technological progress at all in the over 100,000 or so years they existed. Neanderthal archeological digs show no change in the way they lived over the entire span of their history.

"Cro-Magnon" refers to the first modern humans that entered Europe, about 35,000 years ago. It is no coincidence that the Neanderthals ceased to exist shortly thereafter, after surviving for so long up until then. Our ancestors, far more intelligent, creative, and organized, wiped out their less-imaginitive competitors in short order.

Some think we did it so easily primarily because our guys had developed the bow and arrow, and the Neanderthals had not. Small bands of club-carrying Neanderthals versus large bands of Cro-Magnon archers: No contest.

Heh, half of them probably walked around with the arrows in their asses before they noticed a problem when trying to sit down.

Earth
All humans are just that, human. neandertahl, cromagman everything, they are just humans

Nope. But you keep on prodding - you'll skewer something eventually.

Earth
there is nothing to suggest early man was in any way stupid. primitive, yes, but lacking intelligence? no

Ah - you mean like underdeveloped frontal lobes? That kind of thing?

Earth
Species produce according to their kind

Sure do. Just like Ligers, Tigons, Beefalo, Camas, Zeedonk and Zonkey and the all-time number one Wolphin.

Earth
ANY AND EVERY genetic mutation has not created a new kind but simply a small variation, usually harmful. but the animal remains the same.

Nnnnope. You can observe evolution in the laboratory, if you are so inclined. Let us, of course, not forget the new species of influenza which crop up every 18 months or so which require us all to have yet another 'flu shot. Granted, they are self-replicating (given the right environment - you) but they do indeed mutate into a discrete lifeform from the original.

Interestingly, a lot of small changes can happen all at once in response to a severe environmental trauma. I refer you to HSP90, one of the Heat Shock Protein family of molecules, whose function is as a chaperonin.

Earth
Too bad alot of my posts had to be answered partially by famine. meaning the supporters who claim creation guys follow their beliefs blindfolded are just that themesleves, hopeless followers

No-one answering in this thread is part of my official fanclub, so they are not required to agree with me (for fear of being disbarred).

PS
European cultures were too busy dealing with famine

What can I say? I'm older than I look...

Famine:

Not to be pedantic but you should have said "discrete" rather than "discreet". You were suggesting that every 18 months we get a tactful 'flu virus.

Does this mean I can't join your fan club.... :)

I always screw those two up. They should have more discreet spellings... :lol:

Mind you, a Neanderthal would have spotted that. They were smart. S-M-R-T, smart.

Mr Planty takes care of the plant life Earth. Can some one explain to me what the hell Earth meant by this? Who takes care of the plant life? WTF?

The lack of understanding from Earth is MINDBLOWING. It's as if he's just making up "facts" on the spot. :dunce:

Earth

Well, in my house its always me who waters the plants. If i left to my better half they'd all be dead. In the wild, plants always seem to manage to feed themselves (i bet they do this at night when most of us are asleep) There's a sub-species of human known as gardeners, they take care of a large chunk of plant life, and can be identified from regular humans by their 'green fingers' which is another example of evolution.

Zardoz
Actually, Neanderthals were not like us. Close, but not us. This story sums it up pretty concisely:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3431609.stm

Back in '97, the first of several DNA studies indicating that they were separate and distinct was published:

http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA10/neander797.html

Later DNA studies pretty much proved that no trace of their DNA exists in our gene pool, so there was no interbreeding back in the day, either. There's still a little debate on that, though.

They were tough, and good at adapting to their environment, but they didn't think like us. They apparently made no technological progress at all in the over 100,000 or so years they existed. Neanderthal archeological digs show no change in the way they lived over the entire span of their history.

"Cro-Magnon" refers to the first modern humans that entered Europe, about 35,000 years ago. It is no coincidence that the Neanderthals ceased to exist shortly thereafter, after surviving for so long up until then. Our ancestors, far more intelligent, creative, and organized, wiped out their less-imaginitive competitors in short order.

Some think we did it so easily primarily because our guys had developed the bow and arrow, and the Neanderthals had not. Small bands of club-carrying Neanderthals versus large bands of Cro-Magnon archers: No contest.

You also have the discovery in Indonesia of a 3 foot tall humanoid that would be another sub specie and some others ..I misplaced my national Geographic ..( book ? whats a book ?? ..whats this magazine thing with stuff in it...where's the key board ? ) . They did a few articles 💡 on the recent discoveries . The bottom line is it isnt in the Bible because the guys that wrote it did not know about it ..nor did they imagine it , so they did not include it . but of course if the worlds 6000 years old it cant matter anyway because it its us that seems to be imagining things . Again I go back to school and remember the Nun that taught science and biology and the lessons in that particular irony .

Who you callin a homo ? Huh... skinny ? Go get a nice slice of pie and for Gods sake gain some weight .

Earth
...How did this happen?

How did your uncreated, always-existing, all-creating, all-knowing, eternally-existing God happen?

You think it is more plausible that such a Being exists than plants developed on their own and get by without a brain?

Earth
Plants have no intelligence

Yet they survive quite well without having to do anything

How did this happen?

Have you heard of 'photosynthesis' ? they do this quite successfully, and have been doing for millions of years now.

Have you ever seen bacteria grow in a petri dish? - does bacteria have intelligence?

Life develops ways of getting by because that's the only way it can develop. That is how life works, how it exists at all. Ways that fail drop by the wayside. Things that don't work are selected out.

The movie "Event Horizon" was flawed by a concept that is illogical: It proposed the existence of an alternate universe where everything was backwards. Nothing works there. Everything tends to destroy itself and everything else. Yeah, right. How could anything even come into existence in such a system? A classic example of dumb sci-fi.

In the real universe, things can only work towards existence. Life can only develop in ways that propigate more life. The key to evolution is functionality. If something does not help life get by better, it gets tossed out.

Earth

Earth, I posted two examples where the fossil record documents exactly the opposite of what you're claiming. Did you miss it?

Swift

Not my definition of an accident.

If you throw something up in the air and it comes back down, was that an accident? Or was it the result of a natural process?

Seriously we have got to get past this accident thing. I do not think humanity was an accident. Duke does not think humanity was an accident. Famine does not think humanity was an accident. Nobody I know thinks that. We all think humanity is the result of observable natural processes - like gravity.

code_kev
You have no intelligence.

Yet you manage to post utter crap.

How did this happen?
code_kev, ENOUGH.

Post in a civil manner or you will soon have something else to be bitter and snotty about. You are perennially complaining about everything and everyone on this forum.

Knock it off now, or find someplace else to peddle it.

I will not tolerate any more blatant disrespect of my users out of you. Understood?

danoff
Not my definition of an accident.

If you throw something up in the air and it comes back down, was that an accident? Or was it the result of a natural process?

Seriously we have got to get past this accident thing. I do not think humanity was an accident. Duke does not think humanity was an accident. Famine does not think humanity was an accident. Nobody I know thinks that. We all think humanity is the result of observable natural processes - like gravity.

Swift,

I know you may simply have not had a chance to respond to this, but I wanted to make sure I got your thoughts on this one because I really do want to close the "accident" issue out.

code_kev, ENOUGH.

Post in a civil manner or you will soon have something else to be bitter and snotty about. You are perennially complaining about everything and everyone on this forum.

Knock it off now, or find someplace else to peddle it.

I will not tolerate any more blatant disrespect of my users out of you. Understood?

Understood. Earth, Swift, please accept my apologies, calling you both names was, in hindsight, uncalled for. I still hate your opinions, but I over stepped the mark. I can sometimes be a bit quick to just post something before really thinking about how damn offensive it really is on topics I feel very strongly about, such as this.

Back to topic, can some one please answer me these two questions I asked before...

1. Where is the evidence of the flood. A flood of this size would have massive a massive impact for many many years.
2. If a flood took place, and animals were some how collected, how did they survive afterwards? The carnivores would have run out of food VERY VERY fast.

danoff
Swift,

I know you may simply have not had a chance to respond to this, but I wanted to make sure I got your thoughts on this one because I really do want to close the "accident" issue out.

Hmm...well. you say the planet pretty much created itself from natural causes.

So, there was no thought behind it. Just the existance of physics(from somewhere) that caused these things to come about? That's why I call it an accident. Ivory soap was created by accident, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. How about penecillin(even though I'm allergic to it :yuck: ) So when I say "accident" I don't mean it was wrong. I'm simply saying that it was completely unintentional but worked out. I still find that train of thought driving me towards who wrote the laws of physics....

Back