Custom Race rewards question

• Thread starter wlashack
  • 11 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
wlashack
Hello,
I can't understand why the reward for race with "no opponents boost" is higher than with boost on.
If I can get it right, boost makes the race harder for me, and therefore the price should be higher. Or am I wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,
I can't understand why the reward for race with "no opponents boost" is lower than with boost on.
If I can get it right, boost makes the race harder for me, and therefore the price should be higher. Or am I wrong? Thanks.
well, if the boost on makes the race harder then it makes sense you'd make less with boost off.

Oh, sorry! I wrote it wrong. I make MORE with boost OFF. It makes no sense to me.
Harder race, less prize money.

Last edited:
Boost on does make a race more challenging, but since it aids the car behind to speed up, the payout is less.

It makes it harder to fend of cars behind, yea. But it also makes it easier if you are behind. So it's a double-edged sword. As to why the payouts are different, I have no idea.

It makes it harder to fend of cars behind, yea. But it also makes it easier if you are behind. So it's a double-edged sword. As to why the payouts are different, I have no idea.
It slows down cars in front if you are behind ? Because I did not noticed any particular improvement in my lap times when I am way back.

It slows down cars in front if you are behind ? Because I did not noticed any particular improvement in my lap times when I am way back.
I thought the point of the boost was to help the cars lagging behind. I always turn it off so maybe I am mistaken.

IMO AI cars race until I overteake them. At this moment they slow down and continue at like 95 of their previous speed (for some unfortunate reason) and start losing continuously. So boost may keep them „alive“ even when they are "behind" I guess. And this is why AI boost does not affect my laptimes because cars do not drive faster, they only do not slow down after being overtaken.

But it still does not answer the question why harder custom race against boosted opponents offers lower prize money.

Last edited:
The general idea as to why it reduces payouts is boost applies to cars more the further behind you are, and since boost is applied to the player as well, you’ll benefit from it and it theoretically makes the race easier for you.

In practice, the only way to really have decent races with the AI is to use weak boost or severely handicap yourself with no boost lol, so it’s pretty counterproductive based on how they’ve programmed it.

Last edited:
Truth is that AI is really unfortunate. And the most unfortunate thing is that it need not be at all. It works well untill some "strange ideas" and limitations start changing its behavior.

Slowing down after being overtaken, driving slower in the second half of the race, missing "peppers" in AI options for the race, no possibility to mix live drivers with AI cars in multiplayer, no AI in online lobbies etc. Really do not get why there is a reasonable AI in GT7 which is then downgraded to something almost useless by its authors.

Same with Sophy. It is in the game, but why in Quick Race only?

Last edited:
Same with Sophy. It is in the game, but why in Quick Race only?
I think that’s pretty explainable by Sophy being a one console exclusive, and the AI not being trained on players’ tuned cars, it’s probably had tons of time behind the wheel of each of the game’s default cars, but who knows how it would behave with strange or tricky tuning setups.

Thing that’s unfortunate about Sophy though is they capped it with the same rubberbanding as the regular AI, so it can’t perform to its true pace where it gives even the GTWC drivers a run for their money.

Back