"Custom Races" leave a lot to be desired.

We keep going in circles because they don't have an answer to this outside of "patience" or "I don't mind only driving a few cars". They never do. They didn't before the nerf, they don't after.
Don't forget "Well, you don't have to buy the McLaren F1 so it's your problem if you want that".

Last edited:
As it stands now, if you don't want to race GR 1, 2, 3, 4 or B, you either need to go single make or have enough similarly tuned cars in your garage and individually select them.
I host custom on-line races and learned a long time ago that the only "fair" races are mainly 1-make ones. Monday Night Racing uses only one car per week because of that. There is no PP system yet that can consistently produce fair racing, without tons of research. Now that tuning affects PP values, too, this has become bonkers. On-line hosts need way more control over installed parts. PP values for each part should be fixed on their origin installed value for that car, not variable depending on tuning. The host should have the ability to select which parts are allowed and, just like no-tuning lobbies, settings should be kept safe but ignored, if that's how the host wants to run his lobby. Having PD decide how we should run our custom lobbies is bonkers. Another oddity is that nitrous defaults to being allowed. Why would they default to that setting for a very expensive part which will drastically affect race results? That's bonkers.

It's come up repeatedly both in these forums and elsewhere that despite a lack of "career" races in the game, especially once the Cafe menu is finished, there is still plenty to do as the custom races allow an unlimited number of events to be run.

While technically this is correct, the custom race menu is limited - it does not allow enough customisation options and the payouts are very low compared to the pre-made races - for some insane reason payouts don't increase based on the amount of laps, and only marginally adjust with difficulty level increases.

Here we see the pre-race menu for the notorious Fisherman's Ranch rally race 30,000cr for a single lap race.

The same race recreated in the Custom menu - a paltry 4k for the same thing.

Here is the same race created in the custom menu, with the length increased to 100 laps. 100 LAPS, 300 odd minutes and payout is 124k.
If I instead choose to run the Dirt Champions race 4 times for a total of 12 minutes my earnings are more or less the same, 120k. If i run it 100 times, my payout is 3 million credits.

Next track used as an example is the Nordschliefe.

The only options I can see are Random, one make, Select by car category and Select from garage. Why can't we select rivals based on drivetrain configuration or country of origin? Selecting Random groups me with cars similar to my PP level. Why can't this also be an option for "car category"? But I digress. Selecting by car category only gives me the following options:

At least we can have some group 2 and 1 races eh?

Here, the race launch screen for the Schwarzwald League race, 1 lap of the Green Hell. 40k for 7 minutes, give or take.

To make the same amount of money in for the same race in Custom Race mode, I need to do 3 extra laps.

238K for 10 laps of the Nurburgring. About 3500cr per minute. Same amount of laps in the Schwarzwald league race, the payout is nearly doubled.
Here's where it starts getting outrageously egregious:

20 LAPS OF THE NURBURGRING, group 1 cars, professional level AI - This one will separate the men from the boys! 20 laps, 7 odd minutes a lap: nearly 2.5 hours. For 300k? Hang on...

50 laps, 336k. 30 extra laps for 36k more. UGH

200 LAPS - 355k.

Long story short, someone at Polyphony needs a smack in the mother****in mouth. This is ridiculous, outrageous behaviour.

As I have said in other posts this isn't anything to do with micro transactions because I can just grind the World races if that's my end goal. It seems to be another decision that forces people into having nothing to do after finishing the Cafe menus other than grind, because who in their right mind would do this garbage? I like doing the races, but why I can't earn a fair amount of credits for doing gruelling long distance races against Professional level AI boggles my mind.

With the right credit rewards and more options when selecting races, this would be the best mode in the game.
As it is, it's crap.
Let the players enjoy the custom races and adjust the credits for a decent payout, why is this even an issue? Reward the players for finding interesting ways to play -- their own way to play...why keep pushing MT?

Promote racing, designing, involvement from the community (tuning, liveries, photos, etc.), don't focus on shortsighted MTs...this will lead to a bad outcome.

The thing is, those of us that are going to have fun with other aspects of the game, will continue to do so. There are players that don’t have to wave a pitchfork and torches to show their emotions.
You can have fun, and I'm happy if you are, but people keep saying "just play and you'll earn the credits to buy stuff in time" and just... no, you won't. If you're happy with just a few cars, and next to none of the expensive ones, then this game is fine for you. But when people say they plan on driving a large variety of vehicles even though the game doesn't really make this feasible, they never have an answer for how they're going to pay for those cars. Which is exactly the problem we want to point out: it's just not feasible. Especially if you do want any of the expensive cars.

Back