Deals on 1080p Displays

I just got in the mail notice of upcoming sale at Costco (Sep 4-23) and includes three 1080p displays:
I went to Costco today and it was a mob scene. They sold out of the 52" AQUOS in just an hour!

Also I was off on the prices. The AQUOS is on sale for $2,200 not $2,300 and best of all, it's the brand new model that was just released!!!... and it has the flat black finish! 👍

Problem was I was an hour late to get the last one. So I'll have to wait for the next shipment.

Although I am now leaning towards the Mitsubishi. I was way off on the price. Costco has the 65" DLP on sale for only $1,800!!! That's an additional $700 off on top of the already discounted price. :eek:

On top of that, as expected it had a noticeably better picture quality over the AQUOS, especially black levels and shadow detail, but that is to be expected when comparing LCD to DLP.

The problem though is my wife really wants a flat panel to replace our current RPTV so that it can be hung on the wall.... that and 65" is probably too large for where we currently have the family room TV located. Decisions, decisions. I wish the Mits wasn't priced so low, it's making it hard to choose now. That and our entire downstairs is being repaired and remodeled due to flood damage from a leaking refrigerator while we were on vacation. :ouch:

So now is also not a great time for me to be bringing in large pieces of electronics into the home. :embarrassed:

Grrrr.... the temptation is killing me.

Whatever you do get, get a levee to protect your investment! Damn though, 65" DLP and $1800 are lovely to hear in the same sentence... :drool:

edit: :lol: The swear filter won't allow "Mitsubishi tv.com, even on your masked link. :dunce:

i want to get a 1080p tv, but the room i intend on putting it in really isnt big enough for anything over 81cm (32inches???) are there 1080p tv's out there in this size???

Ok, I've always hated Sears, but they have some really good deals going on. First of all, they're having a sale where TV's give you 18 months to pay and 12 months no interest. (I think.) My mom is actually considering one of the LCD's in the sub $1800 range. How does that sound?

i want to get a 1080p tv, but the room i intend on putting it in really isnt big enough for anything over 81cm (32inches???) are there 1080p tv's out there in this size???

Yes...I've had THIS one for a few months now and I LOVE it.

I've got a question for all you HDTV guys. I want a 1080p HDTV that can double as a monitor (so I need dvi, or at least more than one HDMI port) and I don't have a **** ton of money to spend. I've got an Xbox 360 that I would like to connect to it to, so component or vga ports are also required. I don't need anything huge, but I'd prefer something larger than 24" (the size of my current monitor). I'd love for it to be under $1000 if at all possible. If not, as close to it as possible. I've been looking at the Westinghouse LVM-37W3SE, but I've heard of some issues with it. can you guys recommend anything else?

I very well might buy the Samsung HLT5076S 50" UltraSlim 1080p DLP HDTV

Link-- $1349 shipped on Amazon.
As we talked about back in late August, these Samsung UltraSlim series DLP RPTVs are really very good. In fact, if I was in the market for an RPTV the HL-Txx76 series would be my top choice. 👍

BTW: Should you get it, I highly recommend you bookmark the following thread on AVS:
Don't be put off by the size of the thread, or the occasional hyperbolic posts. There are a lot of very knowledgeable owners of these TVs, and so you can get some really good tips on how to get the most performance from your TV. It is also a helpful place to troubleshoot any problems should they come up.

No one posted any of the great Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on 1080p displays??? :eek:

I decided while on vacation to take advantage of one deal that Walmart had for Polaroid's new 46" 1080p LCD, model TLA-04641C.

Normally it's about $1,500 which in itself is actually a very good price for what you get, but they had it on sale for just a $1,000. I've been meaning to replace our old CRT in our vacation home with an HDTV, especially now that we are using it more often, and bringing the PS3 and HD movies along with us, it seemed the time was right to replace it - especially with the deal on this particular display.

My initial impression was very positive! The pixel grid is nearly invisible from 3' or farther, and the colors where excellent. The display settings needed some calibrations, but that was to be expected. It looked great when used with the PS3 for both games and movies.

BTW: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was a huge hit with everyone, but the kids had an especially fun time playing Calling All Cars and MotorStorm.

The TV also did a fine job displaying 720p and even standard def from our Comcast cable feed, but it seemed to struggle with 1080i HD signals from the cable feed. To be fair, this only became apparent when there was fast moving images on the screen. When that happened, it appeared that the onboard de-interlacer was struggling to keep up and thus the image would periodically go from a solid image to one with single pixel width horizontal lines.

This wasn't a big deal, and my wife and I were the only ones that seemed to notice the difference. Considering this, and that I rarely watch any 1080i material, I didn't let it bother me any. Overall, it's a fine set and at an extremely good price! 👍

Speaking of good deals on 1080p displays, I see Pako picked up one of those new 28" 1080p LCD HG-281DPB monitors from Hanns•G I keep seeing advertised around the net:

Hanns•G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers
24-254-026-16.jpg

With VGA and HDMI, I have my computer and PS3 hooked up. I'll be getting a HDMI switch soon to make switching between the PC and the PS3 easier. At a full resolution of 1920x1200, this monitor looks fantastic. The only major complaint the is the LCD "X" that can be seen during darker sections of game play. This shouldn't surprise me as every LCD monitor I've owned seem to have this.

As a precursor to the monitor, I built a new gaming rig:

*Intel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHZ 4mb Cache, 1333FSB
*2gb OCZ Reaper Ram, @1106ghz stable.
*150gb Raptor Drive
*eVGA 680i Mobo (supports 3 PCI-E 16x graphics cars :embarrassed:), 1333FSB supported.
*Dual BFG OC 8800GTX 768mb Graphics cards in SLI
*1000w OZ PSU, support for up to 72 amps of delivered power!!!
*Vista Ultimate (DirectX 10 fully supported)

I'd really like to see this display in person and run it through some tests, as the price is great! I see it regularly selling for only $600. Buy.com even had a sale on them for only $500 a couple weeks ago, and NewEgg is currently selling them for only $560.

Here are a couple in-depth reviews of this monitor:
While some apparent flaws have been identified, a 28" 1080p LCD for under $600 is pretty bloody impressive!

For a gaming monitor at 28", I see this as a very good value for the 3ms response time and the 1920x1200 resolution. I don't notice motion blur or ghosting that is inherent on so many LCD's. I don't think I could use it as a graphics design monitor, but for my purposes, it wonderful. I just got my HDMI switch today that will allow easier switching between the PC and the PS3. The monitor came with a DVI to HDMI adapter for easy hookup. We'll see how well it works tonight after I get home and try it out. I haven't tried any calibration programs but like I said, from a gaming perspective, it looks great. Running dual 8800 GTX graphics cards in SLI helps to maintain that 1920x1200 resolution in graphic intensive games.

[edited]
The internal speakers are horrible and would suggest anyone to use them unless you had no other option. There is a 1/8" audio out jack that I ran to my PC speakers audio input jack so I have decent audio from the PS3 when I need it. The PC speakers also allows the use of headphones for private gaming. :)

So I read through this thread, and I'm pretty confused. I am seriously considering getting a large LCD TV over Christmas break for my dorm. I'm looking at the following situation:
  • $1200 price Max
  • 37" to 42" Bigger probably won't fit and I would like a large TV
  • I don't think the college has high-def, so maybe 720p is better?
  • I will probably have a 360 and a PS3 hooked up
  • Quality won't be that great but I would like something that looks good
  • I may have a friend over at Best Buy pick one up for me so that price may be able to be a little higher:sly:
  • I have to get it to Michigan somehow

And I went on a trip to go TV shopping for other people and I was quite unimpressed with the way that a lot of the TVs running looked. They seemed to have really fuzzy edges. The movie Cars looked fantastic but the football and the music videos just didn't look that great. Is this something that I should be worried about?

So I read through this thread, and I'm pretty confused. I am seriously considering getting a large LCD TV over Christmas break for my dorm. I'm looking at the following situation:
  • $1200 price Max
  • I may have a friend over at Best Buy pick one up for me so that price may be able to be a little higher:sly:

And I went on a trip to go TV shopping for other people and I was quite unimpressed with the way that a lot of the TVs running looked. They seemed to have really fuzzy edges. The movie Cars looked fantastic but the football and the music videos just didn't look that great. Is this something that I should be worried about?

What do you intend to use it for? If you want to play PS3 at highest resolution, definitely get a 1080p

Regarding your fifth bullet point, do you mean the picture, or the model?

Anyways, here's a couple options-

Sharp 37" 1080p LCD - 1089 + Shipping

http://www.plasmahouse.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1500

LG 37" 1080p LCD - 1148 + Shipping

https://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.exe?prrfnbr=469079&prmenbr=2000

Click the check next to the price on the second link for the lower price.

• $1200 price Max

That's a healthy budget, so you shouldn't have much problem finding many models at and below that price that meet your requirements. 👍

That's an excellent size range, although if you want to save some money, and don't plan on having a lot of people watching the screen at the same time, and can sit closer to the screen, then even a screen 32" or smaller screen can be just as effective, if not more so than a 42" or larger screen. Besides cost, there are some advantages to smaller screens, like the brightness (larger screens require more luminance), but because you have to sit closer to get the same viewable image size, the pixel grid (vertical and horizontal lines that separate each pixel on the screen) may be more noticeable.

720p is still "HD", and I'd be surprised if you can't get HD signals over the air. Regardless, if you are going to be using it with the PS3, then ideally 1080p would be your best choice, especially if you plan on watching HD movies on Blu-ray. That said, you can save a bit of money by going 720p, and even a lot of 1080p video doesn't take full advantage of the extra resolution, and so in many cases you way not see a big difference between a lot of 1080p video and 720p video.

Sounds good. Be sure to get a TV with HDMI and use that to connect it with the PS3. If you have a 360 with HDMI, also connect it via HDMI. 👍

Not really sure if I understand this statement.

If Best Buy has it on sale, true, although they often sell TVs at near MSRP pricing, so even with an employee discount it may be cheaper from any number of discount retailers. Also, when price shopping; be sure to include tax & shipping charges when applicable.

Again, not sure what that means, or how it applies here. If it's not a large TV and is a flat panel LCD, they are relatively small and light weight, so you shouldn't have any trouble taking it along with you, or shipping it where it needs to be. Although if ordering online, and they allow you to ship to your new address, you may want to just have them ship it to your new address.

All that shows is the reason why you should never pick a TV based on what you see on a typical retailer display. The fact that the movie looked great and the football game and music videos which likely came from a general video feed looked bad suggests that like many retailers, they have a very poor broadcast video distribution network, and the quality of the video is degraded because of it.

Because different TVs do process broadcast signals differently, it would be nice to be able to judge them fairly, but you just can't count on a retailer to provide an adequate system and environment to do those types of comparisons.

On top of that, many TVs are not calibrated properly OOB, and you also don't know how much people have messed with the display settings for the TV's on display.

What I have done is to take along a small portable DVD player with a calibration disc with basic test patterns, like AVIA, Video Essentials, or even just a DVD with the THX Optimizer menu. I'll plug the player into each TV I'm interested in, do a quick basic calibration, and play the same video test patterns and movie clips on each display. This will give you significantly better comparative results between various TVs.

It's in no way an ideal solution for comparing TV's, but it's far better than just looking at the TV's as the retailers have them set up and with the video they feed it.

Regarding your fifth bullet point, do you mean the picture, or the model?

I'm just saying that by budget probably won't get me the best TV money can buy. So I'm just prepared to have to make a few compromises anywhere.

Anyways, here's a couple options-

Sharp 37" 1080p LCD - 1089 + Shipping

http://www.plasmahouse.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1500

LG 37" 1080p LCD - 1148 + Shipping

https://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.exe?prrfnbr=469079&prmenbr=2000

Click the check next to the price on the second link for the lower price.

Thanks!👍 I will look into those two options. They both seem like quite good TVs.

720p is still "HD", and I'd be surprised if you can't get HD signals over the air. Regardless, if you are going to be using it with the PS3, then ideally 1080p would be your best choice, especially if you plan on watching HD movies on Blu-ray. That said, you can save a bit of money by going 720p, and even a lot of 1080p video doesn't take full advantage of the extra resolution, and so in many cases you way not see a big difference between a lot of 1080p video and 720p video.

That was pretty much what I gathered by reading through the earlier parts of the thread and just something I thought I would consider.

Not really sure if I understand this statement.

What I said above, I already know that I will have to make compromises.

I may have a friend over at Best Buy pick one up for me so that price may be able to be a little higher:sly:

If Best Buy has it on sale, true, although they often sell TVs at near MSRP pricing, so even with an employee discount it may be cheaper from any number of discount retailers. Also, when price shopping; be sure to include tax & shipping charges when applicable.

I have to get it to Michigan somehow

Again, not sure what that means, or how it applies here. If it's not a large TV and is a flat panel LCD, they are relatively small and light weight, so you shouldn't have any trouble taking it along with you, or shipping it where it needs to be. Although if ordering online, and they allow you to ship to your new address, you may want to just have them ship it to your new address.

These would probably only apply if I bought the TV from a retailer in Seattle. If I went the online route, I could probably get free shipping. If I bought the thing with cash at home, I would probably have to pay to ship it from there to here. I will probably be at the bags limit so putting it on the airplane wouldn't be free, and probably not the best idea.

*Part about TVs on the floor*

Thanks. I was hoping that it wasn't the TV, and I'm glad that I can look forward to things more like what I saw with the movies they were playing. Cars was absolutely stunning! Anybody ever thought of upgrading what they play so people can actually compare the pictures side by side?

I wish I had the cash ready now for a Bravia so I could get another PS3. :D

Ok ok... partly because I've had a lackluster time getting hd over the air tv on my monitor I'm thinking of Maybe... switching to a true HDTV. (unless you can name a cheap hdtv receiver to get the over the air tv stations) My two I've been eyeing is...

Vizio GV42LF 42' 1080p or a Sceptre X42BV 42' 1080p

What's your take on them DI? There was deals earlier but it seems like they all dried up. Still at $1000 it's not bad sounding eh?

Not sure if this has been posted yet in another thread, but Sony just recently announced they are pulling out of the rear projection market as they have not been profitable due to the higher costs of SXRD (LCoS) technology and thus have not been able to compete with DLP or even LCD in the RPTV market.

Instead, expect Sony to come out with more flat panel direct view LCD HDTVs, including models as big as 70".

This means if you are in the market for a RPTV, you can get some great deals on some excellent Sony SXRD RPTVs right now as Sony and retailers move to unload existing stock.

Don't be put off by Sony's decision, their RPTVs are among the best, but they simply were too expensive to manufacture compared to DLP and LCD.

Its been a while since anyone has posted in here but I found this deal the other day when I was at Tesco and it is bloody amazing, I would even buy one myself...

Yeah it a 'generic' brand but x2 HDMI and FULL HD 1080P!!! 37" for £500! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I don't know much about TV's , tell me if the specs are any good!

SS08202-5644TPS279464.jpg

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-5644.aspx

Robin

Except for the fact that my Vizio is a 1080i, the specs look fairly similar. Blacks won't be terribly dark (or so they say) but I don't see that mine is overly deficient in this regard.

That said, I'd say it should serve you well.

Back