Differences between F1 2010 & 2011F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter hedges
  • 67 comments
SanchoPapa
SanchoPapa
I played F1 2011 for at least an hour last night. Here are the differences I noticed (aside from the obvious, i.e. DRS, KERS)

1. No more pit button. Looking back, this was a suoerficial feature anyway as real F1 drivers let the crew know in advance when they're going to pit so the crew have enough time to prepare.

2. Pit limiter is automatic it seems. I tried to customize the button map settings and the pit limiter was nowhere to be found. The buttons for pit request and limit have been taken over by KERS and DRS as default.

3. There are less polygons, apparently to improve frame rate but I'm not sure yet if the frame ratenis better than 2010's.

4. As far as I can tell, you can't anymore view the team and driver biographies.

As far as PC goes there's more polys

- mechanical failures. my DRS failed in-race, so did my KERS at one point
- more damage. the front wing at least breaks into tiny little pieces and it's possible to break off only half the wing. damage also seems more sensitive
- steering wheels match their real life counterparts. no more generic steering wheels
- new parc ferme animations after quali and race
- safety car
- way better visuals

hedges
I played F1 2011 for at least an hour last night. Here are the differences I noticed (aside from the obvious, i.e. DRS, KERS)

1. No more pit button. Looking back, this was a suoerficial feature anyway as real F1 drivers let the crew know in advance when they're going to pit so the crew have enough time to prepare.

How do I let my pit crew know in advance without a button.
Do I just go in on the fly. Seems an odd one that.

Spagetti69
How do I let my pit crew know in advance without a button.
Do I just go in on the fly. Seems an odd one that.

Looks like they're always ready for you whenever you pit. Unrealistic, yes, but forgivable IMO.

I have to correct myself, though. You can still view drivers and team bios on the laptop screen.

I guess they had to save buttons somehow, and removing the pit button was a logical choice.

The only potential issue that I could see with this is pitting on the same lap as your teammate. Does your engineer let you know when your teammate is pitting?

ed24
I guess they had to save buttons somehow, and removing the pit button was a logical choice.

The only potential issue that I could see with this is pitting on the same lap as your teammate. Does your engineer let you know when your teammate is pitting?

That's a good point.

yes your race engineering will tell you when your teammate is in the pits

How do you tell pits what tyres you want (F1 2010 you could make your tyre selection before getting to your pit)?

I like the better graphic quality (ps3), so far

Graphics - Slightly improved
Sounds - Slightly improved
Physics - Car feels much better and handles much closer to how it should, it still has the general feel of F1 2010 but many of the issues with the physics model have been fixed. It is however much more forgiving as a result, it is definitely no sim, semi-sim though for sure.
Gameplay/Storymode - Identical to the first game, nothing new here.
AI - Same as F1 2010, probably less buggy but i've not played enough to work it out.

Its nice that you can now see all your laptimes and sector times, including those of all the other drivers and the tyres they used, atleast in practice sessions... still doesnt seem to be anything there for the races.

In short, a reskin with improved physics and sector times.

Bigbazz
Graphics - Slightly improved
Sounds - Slightly improved
Physics - Car feels much better and handles much closer to how it should, it still has the general feel of F1 2010 but many of the issues with the physics model have been fixed. It is however much more forgiving as a result, it is definitely no sim, semi-sim though for sure.
Gameplay/Storymode - Identical to the first game, nothing new here.
AI - Same as F1 2010, probably less buggy but i've not played enough to work it out.

Its nice that you can now see all your laptimes and sector times, including those of all the other drivers and the tyres they used, atleast in practice sessions... still doesnt seem to be anything there for the races.

In short, a reskin with improved physics and sector times.

Fantastic review.

Eh what system mate?

Picked up the PS3 version yesterday. Played on a T500RS. All aids off. Cockpit view. Time Trials only.

I liken the graphics updates for 2011 to GT4. The environment improvements are subtle and not much different from F1 2010, though I didn't do any wet weather running. But the detail, coloration, texture, and reflection updates for the cars themselves are huge. The pickup on the tires, though a little exaggerated, is superb. The clean tire texture is a bit more realistic as well. The tires looked like grey marshmallows before.

Also, the fact that you can use a T500RS is a huge plus. This is the first game I needed to turn down the force feedback. I found the environment and weight at 10%, FF at 20% was the only setting that didn't make my wrists hurt. The pain was excruciating on default. The aforementioned settings still provided plenty of feedback and resistant force.

Handling model felt great after about 30 mins of driving. As typical, it felt strange at first. The lack of rear end downforce in high speed corners, when compared to F1 2010, was the biggest handling difference I saw after one night of playing. The model overall felt more natural and intuitive. Lock-up seemed easier to modulate than I remember.

Last edited:
I have not spent much time playing yet, quick few laps of India last night and a quick go at Monaco after work. I have not set any graphics, difficulty or any other options besides pad configuration. Damage Is a lot better though.....

jbnowheels.jpg

:D

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the track wearing in! I thought was implemented a lot better in 11. Also the marbles off the racing line is a nice touch :D

The only point I dont really like about F1 2011 is the tyres management. They didnt took into account the new tyres just have to do one change like on f1 2010. At least on the racing format I'm doing (20%). Also super soft tyres doesnt grip that much more than hard at least atm I dont notice a big difference. KERS is a nice boost, and DRS is definitely interesting.

Also some weird stuff like the AI going 1 seconds faster in race than in qualif. at the start of the race (dry track and all).

Most annoying difference is the difficulty in setting up my Logitech G 25 on my PS3 :grumpy:

And I can get fuel mix choice (arrow button); which arrow button is for tyre choice before pitting?

Bigbazz
I'm playing it on a PC, performance wise it runs about the same as F1 2010.

I envy you Bazz.
Frame rate on consoles is pretty poor for such a fast racer.
This gen can't handle all the gubbins needed in a complex sport.

I played the game for about 2 hours last night. here are my initial impressions of the game in comparison to f 2010 (PS3 platform):
Graphics:
-not that much improved if any. if this is your first time playing the game don't expect it to be GT5 quality.
Physics:
-Driving Physics are actually pretty good. with TCS OFF, precision is a must if you wanna go fast. I notice that I can push the car harder and faster in corners but you have to watch out or it'll cost you.
With TCS ON, i can make little mistakes and still get by but it slows the car down because TCS is correcting the car...makes sense. TCS MEDIUM would be a good starting point for beginners until you get adapted to the game.
-Sound- not sure if its improved, but i think its really good.
-AI - tbd
-Racing in wet conditions- tbd
-DRS and KERS = really liking these features so far..to me its just right and not overdone.
well that's it for now...i gotta play the game more.

Slipstream is more prominent in this game than before. Between that and DRS and Kers, there are some really huge closing speeds, sometimes you need to time an overtake so that you're not on their back before a kink in a straight like at Istanbul Park or kemmel at Spa.

So, I've seen that the racing line can be set to 2D - but not in Career mode. Any way to change this? Aka taking care of the save game with...let's say....my fancy hex editor? I really can't stand the 3D one but wouldn't want to learn the new handling without it. :odd:

So, I've seen that the racing line can be set to 2D - but not in Career mode. Any way to change this? Aka taking care of the save game with...let's say....my fancy hex editor? I really can't stand the 3D one but wouldn't want to learn the new handling without it. :odd:

You can set 2D trajectory in career at least on the pc version.

You can set 2D trajectory in career at least on the pc version.

The 2D option is right in the menu where you enable the driving line in Time Trial - but not in Career. Where is it located in your PC version?

The 2D option is right in the menu where you enable the driving line in Time Trial - but not in Career. Where is it located in your PC version?

On the PC version it's on career mode, then you press start, go to driver help or assistance (not really sure what's it's called in english, first menu when you pressed start). Then at the bottom of the list there's trajectory type, where you can choose 2D or 3D.

Shaggy Alonso
Another thing that has changed are the braking distances which are around 30-40% shorter in my estimation.

That is excellent news. Last years felt like stopping a bus instead of a high grip car.

Shaggy, could you comment on the frame rate compared with last years PS version please.

Thanks.

on ps3 the graphic is worse than 2010 but the colours are better. the frame rate is just terribile, i'm really angry about it, i don't have other platform to play the game and this is just really bad.

overall the game is amazing a far far far better than 2010, but the framerate issue is too big. (ps3)

on ps3 the graphic is worse than 2010 but the colours are better. the frame rate is just terribile, i'm really angry about it, i don't have other platform to play the game and this is just really bad.

overall the game is amazing a far far far better than 2010, but the framerate issue is too big. (ps3)
When I first started playing the PS3 version I felt the same about the framerate. After a couple days I think I'm getting used to it a little more. But I'd still say they owe us at least a free Steam code.

Spagetti69
That is excellent news. Last years felt like stopping a bus instead of a high grip car.

Shaggy, could you comment on the frame rate compared with last years PS version please.

Thanks.

I've come to realise this, and I have to be honest saying this, but the framerate is poor. It hurts the sense of speed. I'm still really enjoying the game of course, but it's clear to me that the ps3 version is the ugly brother of the three.

Back