Do you enjoy reading?

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 149 comments

Do you enjoy reading?

• Total voters
Yes I did read the rest of the Enders Game books, it was just that I had forgotten what they were titled, now I am going to find them so I can read them again.
  1. Ender's Game
  2. Speaker for the Dead
  3. Xenocide
  4. Children of the Mind

1. Ender's Shadow
  2. Shadow of the Hegemon
  3. Shadow Puppets
  4. Shadow of the Giant

In that order. I seem obsessed but this is possibly my all-time favorite sci-fi saga.

There is also A War of Gifts: An Ender Story, which I have not read, that takes place in year one of Battle School, and a supposed upcoming novel Ender's Exile, taking place between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (A 3,000 year gap - 25 relativistic years for Ender).

I love reading especially in the bath, i picked up Jeremy Clarkson's and Charlie Bomans new books yesterday should keep me busy for a while.

I love reading especially in the bath, i picked up Jeremy Clarkson's and Charlie Bomans new books yesterday should keep me busy for a while.
So you will be spending some quality bath time with Jeremy Clarkson? :nervous:

Maybe you should take a break for a while to decompress? :lol:

Of course I am :); I haven't picked up anything besides a school textbook in three days. I don't plan on reading anything really heavy for at least two or three weeks, just to give me a chance to unwind and think.

I like high-tech military fiction too, like Dreamland and anything else by Dale Brown. It's easy reading and helps relax me with all the fantastic stuff Brown dreams up.

Thanks for the suggestion, Duke. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Shhhhh... This is a secret...

I'm reading Twilight right now and *gasp* I'm enjoying it. Damn women making me do things to be "in" with whats going on...

OMG. Even my 16-year-old daughter thinks Twilight is stupid. She describes it as "the worst Mary Sue fanfic I've ever seen - I can't believe people are paying money to read this when you can find better all over the internet for free."

Meh, I guess i'm glad i never read it. I don't really like vampire books anyways. I always thought that the only people who read vampire books were girls.

I just got through reading "Dragon's Luck" by Robert Asprin, for like the 3rd time. I went to B&N and was amazed to learn that it just came out in april of this year. I had gotten it when it first came out and i couldn't understand that it had been less than a year since it came out.

OMG. Even my 16-year-old daughter thinks Twilight is stupid. She describes it as "the worst Mary Sue fanfic I've ever seen - I can't believe people are paying money to read this when you can find better all over the internet for free."

Its not good, but it certainly isn't the worst thing I've read either. The hard part I've had to wrap my head around is that they say "this is the best thing since Harry Potter," or some go further and say that "its better than Harry Potter."

NO.

I know Harry Potter. Twilight, you are no Harry Potter.

to put it simply: HELL NO

reading books and magazines and crap like that feels like a waste of time to me. I've really only read one book that I really liked.

to be honest I think it's something to do with my AD/HD though, cuz I can't stand to watch TV either.

I honestly really don't... maybe I have "adult ADD" or something.
That's actually a real condition.

I'd rather watch one than read it. Then again, maybe that's my "visual learner" talking.
Trust me, any story read is much better than one watched on a screen. An excellent example of this would be I am Legend. Three versions, and they all suck. The book, on the other hand, awesome. Of course, the movies all forgot the point.

I do enjoy of reading. if I don't have anything better to do, I can read ~1400 pages in a day with ease. Mostly David Eddings or some other fantasy/Sci-Fi author.

That's actually a real condition.

I know. It's why I said it.

Trust me, any story read is much better than one watched on a screen. An excellent example of this would be I am Legend. Three versions, and they all suck. The book, on the other hand, awesome. Of course, the movies all forgot the point.

My whole life, I'd read a book like I THINK it has gone. Then for example I'd hear what others in class say and I'd be completely wrong. On top of that the older I got the less I could sit there and stand to read a book since it was taking so damn long. On top of that if I lost interest (which was often) I'd snooze my head right into the book and forget what I read or where I left off. Lastly, whether a book or a movie... I won't waste my time period with stuff like Harry Potter. Have no desire to watch it or read it.

I'm surprised how many people here like reading. Do you know how many people in my school like reading? 5% at the most. No joke.

I'm surprised how many people here like reading. Do you know how many people in my school like reading? 5% at the most. No joke.

That's because you are forced to read in school and you are force to interoperate the book the way the teacher wants you to. I hated reading in school too, the only book we ever read that I enjoyed was "A Catcher in the Rye".

===

On the subject of reading I picked up "Pint-Sized Ireland" last night by Evan McHugh. It's pretty funny, McHugh and his girlfriend Twidkiwodm (I guess it's pronounced Michelle), both Australians, travel around Ireland looking for the prefect pint of Guiness. So far so good although it seems like a real easy read and I'll be done with it probably by next week.

That's because you are forced to read in school and you are force to interoperate the book the way the teacher wants you to. I hated reading in school too, the only book we ever read that I enjoyed was "A Catcher in the Rye".

Exactly and out of shccol I really did/do enjoy reading every night before sleep (I only read non-fiction and technical books really), right now I am ready the book "Going faster: mastering the art of racing" as I heard so much about it.

his girlfriend Twidkiwodm (I guess it's pronounced Michelle), both Australians
Aussies will lengthen your name if it is short, shorten your name if it is long, give people random nicknames but we don't usually have names that aren't pronounced how they are spelt - well at least not to that extreme, so I did a little googling and found Twidkiwodm is an anconym for the-woman-he-didn’t-know-he-would-one-day-marry, whose name happens to be Michelle. Now that is a very aussie thing to do.

And on the subject of reading at school. I don't think I ever read a book in school completley from start to finish, I'd jump around the book and read the bits that I had to write up on, or I'd just copy someone elses stuff.
Ever since leaving school, reading would have to be one of my favourite things to do.

Last edited:
Ah I guessed I missed that one in the book, thanks for clearing that up though. You Aussies are strange :lol:.

Reading at school... A bit hit and miss (Loved Animal Farm, hate Tess Of the D'Urbervilles). What I'm really enjoying now is that we're studying The Buddha Of Suburbia - an absolute cracker of a book.

Currently reading The Kite Runner after it had been recommended to me about one hundred times. About 100 pages in and the main character is a spineless bastard.

Okay, that post really made me laugh.

About reading: I should do more of it. I just finished Hernando de Soto's "Mystery of Capital", which in which he argues that integrated, formal property rights are the key to economic development in third-world countries. I have a fuller write-up of the book here in the book discussion group. The next book I plan to read is "The Power of Productivity", by William Lewis.

Speaking of Ender's Game, I just found it in my basement a few weeks ago and blew through it again in about two days. After the semester ends I'm gonna dive into the rest of the series.

Last edited:
Back